ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auxilliary belt - does it need replacing

Clio 172 Mk2

I have a clio 172 Mk2 (2002) and noticed that the auxiliary belt had not been changed on the 36,000 mile service. The car is now on 43,000 miles and listening to some horror stories about them snapping and wreaking the engine by interfering with the cambelt I have booked the car to have it replaced next week. Usually use the excellent services of Liningtons, but do to being a bit skint, cant really afford to take the car to the south coast, therefore am using Herds of Weybridge.

But prior to booking it in there they suggested that replacement is NOT neccesary! Not just them but 5 other dealers (official Renault) in my area also agreed! Can somebody in the know clarify if it actually needs doing?

Da

Less

the renaultsport models should be replaced at the 36000 mile mark due to the excess strain put on the belt. If im correct its the non-sport models that have it replaced at 72000 miles. I would have it done mate, think of the problems if it snapped!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Theyre supposed to inspect it and change it if its worn.

The aux belt went on our Megane a while back - bit frightening, the power steering suddenly goes, followed shortly by the electrics.

Id get it changed if youre worried - its only every few years after all.

Clio 172 Mk2

Quote: Originally posted by Daz_2427 on 28 May 2005

the renaultsport models should be replaced at the 36000 mile mark due to the excess strain put on the belt. If im correct its the non-sport models that have it replaced at 72000 miles. I would have it done mate, think of the expense if it snapped!
Well... Its gonna be done on thursday... I just hope it lasts till then!!! Im driving the car like a biddy since realising that it needs to be done!!!

They are charging £200 to get that done - a tad expensive for an auxilliary belt? Is it a big job?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

fack me!! it takes at tops 15mins to do, and costs about 25 quid!!!

Da

Less

you sure theyre talking about auxillary belt and not the cam belt on that rediculous price! f**k me drive to my house and ill change the belt for half that price!! :D

Aux Belt is a DIY job and only needs to be changed if showing signs of wear

(cracking), or excesive noise due to slipping,....in which case it needs adjusting

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 28 May 2005
aux belt at 36K and cam belt at 72K

OR 5 years, why do people always forget this :)

The Aux belt MUST be Replaced at 36K/5years whichever comes first as per the service schedule..

It is not a case of inspecting it and replacing if it looks worn. Any dealer who says that it isnt essential to be replaced at 36K is out of order and is not following Renaults schedule..

On a 172/182 with A/C it is a bumper off/headlight out job and does not take 15Mins! It is a 2 hour job..

On the 172 Cup it is a 15 min job as there is no A/C.. and No automatic tensioner to deal with..

The reason it requires replacement so early is that on the F4R 736 engine it runs the Water pump.. So no Coolant flow = goodbye to your engine..

Like the one I replaced last week, (luckily under warranty).. Got so hot it warped the head and scored the cylinders..

Not to replace it is false economy and asking for trouble.. Do so at your own Risk..

Davebem - There is no point in saying "I got my Cambelt done for £130" when you havent got a 172/182.. It is a much longer/difficult job to replace the RenaultSport belts due to space limitations..

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

^^

My belt with full cam kit and 36k service was £500 all in :(, and thats a good price.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

All thanks to ClarkieV6 :)

Worked out an expensive trip none the less, new brakes all round on Thursday lol.