ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

b*****d Vaios

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to rebuild the missus' Vaio, because she's run it into the ground

How the f**k do you make these b*****d things detect the XP CD after post? Tried every single F key, and it's not working.

XP CD has worked perfectly in every other f**king machine I've put it in, just not this piece of s**t.

Edit: From all the searching, I can see there's no real way around it, and I don't have any spare USB keys with which to make a bootable USB stick.

Fuckit, I suppose I'll just have to put the recovery s**t back on :/

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Re: b*****d Vaios

How the f**k do you make these b*****d things detect the XP CD after post? Tried every single F key, and it's not working.

Try the del key.

It tells you what you have to press when it posts.. go into the bios and set the cd drive to be bootable by putting it first in the boot selection order.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Narp didn't make any odds KDF

Strangest setup for laptop I've ever seen

I just used the recovery s**t in the end and spent an hour removing Vaio related rubbish

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Narp didn't make any odds KDF

Strangest setup for laptop I've ever seen

I just used the recovery s**t in the end and spent an hour removing Vaio related rubbish

Drives me to absolute goddamn despair, that does. Why the f**k do they insist on pre-loading so much s**t onto laptops and PCs? It actually stops me from buying that brand unless absolutely necessary.

HP seems to have the least crap on it, out of the box.

D.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So many stars in your first post, you deserve an f**king award :)

Glad you sorted it, even though if it was from using a nasty Sony image :(

Better than yours. C*nt.

Drives me to absolute goddamn despair, that does. Why the f**k do they insist on pre-loading so much s**t onto laptops and PCs? It actually stops me from buying that brand unless absolutely necessary.

D.

Dell are quite good too...

DCi
Toshiba are dire

I have an HP myself now and it has a credential manager thing on it that I dont really want but it has created a user account and I havent had the time or inclination to remove it haha

Did this a few weeks back lad, press f12. Seemed to work for me.

I have one that is brand new and needed doing last night, 3 CD system worked automatically (like autorun).

My old one I did a couple of weeks back with the single CD. Pressed F12, selected full restore rather than the standard boot fix.

197 F1 R27

In my experience HP notebooks knock dell notebooks the f**k out !

Absolutely mate! Dell better than HP, what planet is this guy on!! lol

HP are just more established in the IT sector period.

They manufacture hardened Unix and Windows servers which are used as industry standard platforms across IT and Telecomms. They make industry standard Routers and Switches (HP Procurve) and hardend Firewall platforms (SPLAT).

They offer dedicated Gold Cisco partnerships as a reseller and professional services company for design and implementation of complex network environments for massive blue chip companies.

This guy thinks a poxy little outfit called Dell can compete with HP hardware. I've worked in blue chip Telecomms for ten years and none of the companies I work for would go near a Dell machine!!

Basically HP creams Dell and most others!

Titanium 182
Yip,
I bought a top of the range dell lappy 2 years ago and it came bundled with so much crap it was untrue !

It has recently decided that it is a desktop too and will not run off battery power. If you unplug its power cable it turns off instantly. :S

Better than yours. C*nt.

Absolutely mate! Dell better than HP, what planet is this guy on!! lol

HP are just more established in the IT sector period.

They manufacture hardened Unix and Windows servers which are used as industry standard platforms across IT and Telecomms. They make industry standard Routers and Switches (HP Procurve) and hardend Firewall platforms (SPLAT).

They offer dedicated Gold Cisco partnerships as a reseller and professional services company for design and implementation of complex network environments for massive blue chip companies.

This guy thinks a poxy little outfit called Dell can compete with HP hardware. I've worked in blue chip Telecomms for ten years and none of the companies I work for would go near a Dell machine!!

Basically HP creams Dell and most others!

What the f**k are you on about? We're talking about Laptops here, not servers/switches/firewalls. Which, TBH, I'd consider IBM blades over HP, Cisco Switches and Juniper Firewalls. So where does that land HP?

I'd also appreciate if you remained on topic rather than trying to demonstrate the fact that you have a larger penis than me - you may come out with egg on your face and feeling a shade sheepish. For reference, I've worked in international banks, entertainment, hospitality and healthcare industries over the last 10 years, and only my current company use HP laptops - and they're looking to move because the 6710b and 6730b have been very 'average', particularly in terms of failure rate.

Back on topic:

Dells:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...-Launches-E-Series-Latitude-Notebook-Range/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/07/05/Dell-Latitude-D630/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2009/01/19/Dell-Latitude-E4200-12-1in-Ultra-Portable/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...ll-Latitude-E6400-14-1in-Business-Notebook/p1

HP's response:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...Compaq-6730b-on-Orange-Business-Everywhere/p1

Only one I could find on a first glance. Hardly seems like 'a little outfit called Dell' is troubling HP - more like winning points left, right and centre in the business Laptop stakes.

Revels Mum & Sister

D.

Knows this is why I always use a copy of Windows rather than the restore and bloat rubbish!

Better than yours. C*nt.

Mike, you really like dells don't you ?
:D

The laptops knock ten shades of carp out of the current HP lineup. The old ones (pre-D600 Latitude) granted were crap, but they've made a massive investment in their Laptop lineup and it shows. HP, on the other hand, are riding on the fact that the DL380 is 'the world's most popular server' and so it's easier for people to just buy their laptops to go with - 9 times out of 10 because if you negotiate you'll get a handful free with a decent order of servers! For example, the E-series Latitudes (bar I think the cheapest one) have alloy cases - my old 6710b and 6730b were made of plastic, and felt that way! When someone returned a D630 I couldn't get my mitts on it fast enough.

Titanium 182

The laptops knock ten shades of carp out of the current HP lineup. The old ones (pre-D600 Latitude) granted were crap, but they've made a massive investment in their Laptop lineup and it shows. HP, on the other hand, are riding on the fact that the DL380 is 'the world's most popular server' and so it's easier for people to just buy their laptops to go with - 9 times out of 10 because if you negotiate you'll get a handful free with a decent order of servers! For example, the E-series Latitudes (bar I think the cheapest one) have alloy cases - my old 6710b and 6730b were made of plastic, and felt that way!

Maybe so but I'm pigheaded and wouldn't buy another dell out of principle.

I also just trealised you're talking about for business use, with which I have no experience as I work remotely on CCM stacks and nortel... :sleepy:

Better than yours. C*nt.
That'll be why.

And besides, I'd use a Latitude for home. Hell, I'm off to get an E4300 when I get some pennies for my home laptop :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've used Dell, HP and IBM laptops for work, and so far the HP's are my favourites :p

Currently rocking a Lenovo T500 and an X301

197 F1 R27

What the f**k are you on about? We're talking about Laptops here, not servers/switches/firewalls. Which, TBH, I'd consider IBM blades over HP, Cisco Switches and Juniper Firewalls. So where does that land HP?

I'd also appreciate if you remained on topic rather than trying to demonstrate the fact that you have a larger penis than me - you may come out with egg on your face and feeling a shade sheepish. For reference, I've worked in international banks, entertainment, hospitality and healthcare industries over the last 10 years, and only my current company use HP laptops - and they're looking to move because the 6710b and 6730b have been very 'average', particularly in terms of failure rate.

Back on topic:

Dells:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...-Launches-E-Series-Latitude-Notebook-Range/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/07/05/Dell-Latitude-D630/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2009/01/19/Dell-Latitude-E4200-12-1in-Ultra-Portable/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...ll-Latitude-E6400-14-1in-Business-Notebook/p1

HP's response:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lapto...Compaq-6730b-on-Orange-Business-Everywhere/p1

Only one I could find on a first glance. Hardly seems like 'a little outfit called Dell' is troubling HP - more like winning points left, right and centre in the business Laptop stakes.

You obviously missed my point completely. Your information about HP is fabricated and I was merely demostrating the credibility of HP as a respect organisation that offers a broad range of services to huge clients within the IT sector. With this type of proven track record I would trust their laptops over any Dell machine, given the shoddy history and reputation of Dell as opposed to HP.

For your information...

HP SPLAT boxes are a very popular appliance for dedicated high throughput packet filtering, perimeter security and L2TP and IPSec gateway termination. As opposed to virtual firewalls like FWSM's, Crossbeams and Junipers which are normally used at the distribution layer of a network for zonal and inter VRF security. Get it right mate!!

In the current economic climate budget holders and network designers are looking to save money by installing layer 2 HP Procurve switches at the access layer of new data centre builds. The HP series offers better support, more packets per second, cheaper unit price and almost identifcal features to the equivilent Cisco layer 2 switch (i.e IP Base or IP Services code running in layer 2 mode on a Cisco 4948, 3750 etc).

As far as laptops go your comment "Given that the majority of the world hates HP notebooks" is also completely fabricated as every person on this thread has stated that they prefer HP to Dell. Also two companies I have worked for....Vodafone and Orange. Neither would touch Dell and always issued HP to their staff. I trust their judgement. I have a 6730b at the moment and it's a great machine. I don't need alloy casing, the build quality is fine. If you are having problems perhaps it's a bad batch of machines?

And finally I googled reviews for HP 6730b and the first to entries I looked at had nothing but praise for the HP machine. I can only guess your search for reviews was a tad selective.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/review-hp-compaq-6730b-notebook-20080912/

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4692

If Dell are building better machines then great, nothing like a bit of competition for the benefit of the consumer! However like everyone else here I think for now I'll be sticking with HP...

Last edited:
  330Ci (Fail)Sport
For Cookie:

Once you've taken all the Sony crap off and got it all set up, use Norton Ghost to make a image of the drive and save it to an external HD, then when the system is feeling slow just reload the image. I've used it a few times and its much quicker than loading Windows, drivers, etc. and its usually only a couple of steps to do and then leave it to load.

If doing this, its easier to keep all documents, music, etc. on a different partition on a seperate back up so that's always up to date.

Better than yours. C*nt.

For Cookie:

Once you've taken all the Sony crap off and got it all set up, use Norton Ghost to make a image of the drive and save it to an external HD, then when the system is feeling slow just reload the image. I've used it a few times and its much quicker than loading Windows, drivers, etc. and its usually only a couple of steps to do and then leave it to load.

If doing this, its easier to keep all documents, music, etc. on a different partition on a seperate back up so that's always up to date.

Very good idea, especially given that it's a t**t of a job to get all of the hardware working properly like the wireless switch and all that, compared to the usual offerings!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I would have done that Vish, but it's only a temporary fix for the missus whilst she gets some money together to buy another (non Sony) laptop :p

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
dells are fantastic these days the old ones used to be s**t, but things have changed.

hp for servers though imo

Ph2 172
I use a Dell for work, and HP for home. similar ages, work maybe 3 months newer. Dell machine never missed a beat at work, used 8 hrs a day both docked and undocked. Windows a bit slow, mainly cos of all crap i have running on it.

HP laptop i have at home - hmm, wouldn't buy another one. Not used all that often, and been back for repair twice. Nice small repairs, you know, motherboard and screen. Nothing major.

Wow, you really are a bit of a keyboard warrior, especially for a newbie! Calm down and put your point across in a non-aggressive way!

197 F1 R27

Wow, you really are a bit of a keyboard warrior, especially for a newbie! Calm down and put your point across in a non-aggressive way!

I already put my point across politely but it appears that mr dell sales rep wants to keep chattin s**t and continue the crap.

LOL who cares everyone argues on here, I just come on here when I'm bored to wind a few of you sad c**ts up.

HA fuckin HAHAHAHA

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I love how every one goes Business laptops.
A laptops main usage is portability, on the move word processing, email, PowerPoint........
Most of which will in the not to distant future be taken over by Mobile Phones.

I work in IT Forensics and Network Security and the only thing id use a laptop for would be to RDP or VNC to my Server when I’m not in the office.

Dell, HP, Sony, Tosh they all do the same thing and most have the same architecture and hardware running on them. Do we care? NO we just buy the cheapest most powerfull one we can get at the time./end

I already put my point across politely but it appears that mr dell sales rep wants to keep chattin s**t and continue the crap.

LOL who cares everyone argues on here, I just come on here when I'm bored to wind a few of you sad c**ts up.

HA f**kin HAHAHAHA

And I thought driving at the age of 12 was illegal.

(I'm calling you a 12 year old, just in case you missed that).