ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

back end sliding

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
ive bought a renault 182 about 2 months ago i took it back too the garage because when i go around a bend the back end just slides then grips i took it back too the garage and they said they could not find anything wrong with it, so i took it too my local garage and they said the rear axle bushes need replacing the car has only done 25000 miles, someone has told me it could be the suspension. Does any one have any ideas or help?

PH2 172
I have this problem in my 172 i loose it on roundabouts in the wet only going slow and the back end just slides out dont know what it is either be nice to know

Ph1
Renualt also told me my axle bushes needed replacing at a routine service, this was at 70 thousand miles. 30 thou later iv still got them on and there's bugger all wrong with them, i checked !!

It is meant to be one of those things that wears on a Clio but for you sitting on 25 thousand miles id a said thats very unusual and if i were you id get a second opinion from another garage.

Have you checked the tyre pressures?? should be about 31 PSI

172 FF
Only time my back went out was when one of my rear tyres was a bit low on pressure. I like the rear end slide though, it was quite fun & quite easy to control, wish it would do it all the time :D
Other than that, it does have some lift off oversteer at higher speeds which can be a bit scary if you aren't expecting it, but I think that is common on these cars.

PH2 172
My Cups on 58k my tyres were just pumped up before i left to go FCS was 4s up with a bootfull of luggage and was abit damp on roads and went round a roundabout about 15 mph and the back end slide out i controlled it but s**t me up road was not bumpy or rough was nice and smooth it happened to me and the missus about 2 weeks ago in swindon went round a roundabout and same happened going slow tyres were pumped up and roundabout there was smooth nt bumpy or rough any ideas what it could be for my car.

Mk2 172
Renualt also told me my axle bushes needed replacing at a routine service, this was at 70 thousand miles. 30 thou later iv still got them on and there's bugger all wrong with them, i checked !!

It is meant to be one of those things that wears on a Clio but for you sitting on 25 thousand miles id a said thats very unusual and if i were you id get a second opinion from another garage.

29 psi i thought. harder will just make the problem worse i would of thought

Ph1

You might be right. Just read the lad has a 182, im quoting a 172 lol

Either way, 3 PSI wont make that much of a difference, certainly not in the case of this topic.

Monaco Ph2 172
My 172 has just clocked 75k and, although one of the rear dampers is leaking a little, it has never let go of the rear end. I wonder if it could be a tyre issue?

Megane Trophy, Golf
What tyres you got on back, i had this when i had contis on! i put some new yoko's on and its never done it again ;)

PH2 172
Iv got crappy nankangs on back but i am going to change them to michelins pe2s which im running on the front

Mk2 172

You might be right. Just read the lad has a 182, im quoting a 172 lol

Either way, 3 PSI wont make that much of a difference, certainly not in the case of this topic.

maybe not but they are still a tad too hard. the tyre pressures that manufaturers recommend are takin into account tyre wear and ride comfort etc etc. Try different pressures and u may be surprised witht the results. I run 32 front and 28 rear on my 182. if i run the same rear as front the car feels awful. very skittish at the back. :) drop it to 28 and give it a go :)

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
tyres are michelin pilot exalto with at least 6mm of tread on them and they are the right pressure

Last edited:
  PH2 172
so what is the right pressure for tyres all round iv got 16" turinis michelin pe2s on frotn and nankang on rear

172 FF
You know you could have just been unlucky & hit spilt diesel or something. You can get spills on roundabouts from people who have filled there tanks to the brim & then some, then when they are going round a tight corner some leaks out of the overflow.

I lost it on a roundabout at about 20mph with only me & a passenger & it was too warm to have a chance of ice on the road. I have Exalto's on the back. Never happened before or since, so I'm putting it down to something was spilt on that roundabout.

PH1 172 Sport
Was told by Mike and Dave at Rentech that the rear axel bushes on the sports hardly ever fail and they themselves have never changed a set or known of a set being changed. Its also apparently a long expensive job.

I would guess the culprit is bad tyres or incorrect tyre pressures. Ive only ever had the back end slide once and thats when one of the tyres on my rear had a puncture (obviously I didn't know at the time).

corsa ecoflex
ive got the same problem with the back end sliding out also...but i have a leaking o/s/r damper so i know thats the prob as my tyre pressure is bang on 29 psi

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
yes it does the back end in now also making a loud squeaking noise i now think its the suspension never mind the car is going back too the garage tomorrow for the work too be done while im in newquay getting pissed for 4 days

ITB'd MK1
yes it does the back end in now also making a loud squeaking noise i now think its the suspension never mind the car is going back too the garage tomorrow for the work too be done while im in newquay getting pissed for 4 days

dont lift off mid corner then. It's the wrong way to drive and a stiff light car will always slide the back end out if you lift off mid corner. It's called liftoff oversteer. Some less raw cars are more forgiving which propogates the bad practice and most drivers of normal cars are totally unaware they're doing anything wrong.