ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bags over speakers - Install question

Listerine & Poledo
Afternoon CS.

I'm putting new components into the car soon but the existing shielding from rain water will have to get junked because the new speakers are too big for them.

I read on a forum that some bloke covered the back of his speakers with plastic bags to stop the water getting to them.

This sounds a bit odd, surely it'll impede the air-flow or something?

Or is it worth doing to protect the speaker? I'd imagine I'll balloon the crossover like it's in an RC car anyway.

Cheers all.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All a watershield normally is, is a plastic membrane anyway.

Something vaguely substantial (more than clingfilm for instance) and some silicone sealant to stick it to the inner panel and you're probably away !

Failing that - you can probably get speaker covers on eBay to suit .. plastic caps that go on the back .. IIRC they only normally cover the top half anyway, as there shouldn't be THAT much water in your door. If there is, you got other issues haha :eek:

Silicone/mastick that to the panel again and Mr Monkhouse is your Mother's sibling.

ITB BG 182
If your extending to the 6.5" speakers rather than the 5.25" in the door, you can get some thing called rain coat.

All you would do is fix this to your door with under your speaker baffle by its edges, then when thats in place you will fit the speaker on top of the baffle and it would be protected.

OR... If you really want to be a pikey and cheap, get a plastic carton from a 6 pint jug of milk thing, use the big sides and cut to size so it goes over the top half of your speaker, to fix to the door is really easy as you can either use rivets or the force of the speaker holding it down.

Ill try and do a pic later on.

1.2 16v clio
why not just make a speaker ring pushing the speaker further out? i have a 6.5 inplace of the 5.25

Listerine & Poledo
I'm putting 6.5's in place of 5x7's.

Already using a speaker ring to mount the woofers but I can't scavenge the old water-guards. I can't push the speaker any further out and even if I did it wouldn't stop any water coming in from the windows etc.

ITB BG 182
why not just make a speaker ring pushing the speaker further out? i have a 6.5 inplace of the 5.25
Because to get them behind the original speaker covers is very minimal and still the back of the paper cone speaker will be exposed to that wet stuff....

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
stick a bag/plastic sheeting to the door skin and leave the lower part unsealed so there's no pressure or vacuum. That was any water that does get in can run out, and any that comes in from above is deflected