ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ball joints at the front

Clio trophy 355/500
i need to change my ball joints at the front making a right knocking noise!!

are they easy to fit?

time scale?/

cheers

106GTI / NovaC20LET
3 bolts. Very easy job, only slight difficulty you might find is prying the bj out the hub, just get leverage on it and you'll be away no bother. Get oe ones from renualt or you'll be changing them again in 6months.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
OE items come complete with the lower arms.
Priced around £60 per side iirc.

edit: £68.30 each from Wests Renault.

Easy job, just be careful not to pull the driveshaft out.

You can get Lemforder ones for about £20 each.

They are well regarded on here from what I can gather.

330i. E30 Touring.
As above. Lemforder make the OE bits for Peugeot and Citroen and are plenty good enough.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Lemforder, euro car parts, discount code.

Best way to go about it.

LOL at OE only for something as mundane as a balljoint. Ferrari's these cars.

Pinch nut is a b*****d to get out. Take the caliper and disc off to obtain more whacking space.

This. Caliper and disc off gives you the distance you need to get a clean smack on the pinch bolt. Mine was stuck solid and wouldn't come out until I stripped down to the hub for access (if doing work on the drive)

Spray some penetrating fluid onto the hub where the ball joint is pinched a few days before.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I did some last thursday (along with some other bits) and ended up pulling the driveshaft out. Silly t**t.

Box oil all over my mates garage floor....

I managed to do the drivers side in an hour just before it got dark again, Need to do the passenger's side in the next few days. Can anything be done other than care to stop the driveshaft popping out?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
You don't need to whack anything. Just remove the caliper, turn the steering wheel, big spray with some oil, breaker bar on and just twist the pinch bolt head to get some oil round the shaft, nut back on the other end and a gentle tap, tap to release it. Mine were 12 years old. Lemforder is the way, £15 each from ECP two weeks ago.

The head of my drivers pinch bolt rounded off with the breaker bar, had to smash a smaller socket on, heat the f**k out of the surrounding area and eventually it smashed out.

I did some last thursday (along with some other bits) and ended up pulling the driveshaft out. Silly tw*t.

Box oil all over my mates garage floor....

Lol I did this 2 weeks ago. Beware of the passenger side.

Get the pinch bolt out first to reduce the risk, then go for the bolts in the wish bone.

Disk doesn't have to come off see how you get on.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Mine came out with ease, decent buzz gun and decent tools, didn't make a mess of it atall.
maybe I was just lucky!! :)

SQ5
If you don't have any camber adjustment you can get the whole hub off within an extra 5 minutes. It's then easier to get the ball joint out and there is less chance of ripping the driveshaft out of the gear box.

BG 182
if your going to use lemforder, be aware the shouldered m10 for the pinchbolt is made from cheese. rough as f**k threads. DONT run it on dry, use a light loctite like 270 or 238 or similar to stop the bugger binding when tightening

BG 182
wd40 the pinch bolt assy on both sides repeatedly a few days prior to doing the job, your mandraulic fist with hammer attatchment will thank you