ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic detailing gear for a black car.....

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm looking to buy the Girlfriends Brother some detailing gear for Christmas, He has a black RX8 and takes pride in it BUT isn't exactly a detailer as I saw him using Turtle Wax products :S

Apart from the obvious shampoos is there and miracle product for black paint?

I'm thinking basic products such as SRP, EGP but I'm clueless about black cars.

Sorry it's a very sketchy post but just wondering if there is a reasonably priced wax or something that gives a deep glossy finish to black cars.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't remember what it was but Black Hole is the product I was racking my brains about.... Will look into that.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Look at all in one or cleanser type products that fill well, SRP, Tripple, blackhole, amigo. Then a nice easy wax or sealant like tough coat, werkstatt kit nattys blue.

For first time users you want ease of use and glossy looks. Maybe get the megs or AG clay kit with tar and iron removers for proper decontamination once he start to get into it

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just not sure how much time he is willing to put into detailing... I know it is his pride and joy but I'm not sure if he's really the detailing type, He likes to keep it clean but that is a long way off wanting to detail it.

Not wanting to go overboard as its more a little gift off me and I've only been seeing her 4 months so I'm thinking blackhole will do the trick for now and if he gets into it I'll buy him other bits for birthdays etc.

I have a few bits he can borrow should he want to give it a good detailing every now and them.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Blackhole will look great, all until it rains or he washes it, there's nothing to seal in any of the fillers or gloss enhancers that you would get from topping it from a wax or sealant

Get him a spray wax or sealant such as toughcoat or werkstatt to seal in the hard work and it will stay looking like that for 3months instead of 1week

Not a 320d
Give him AF gifts. Tripple and lather or something with a wash mitt. Maybe a few cloths and an applicator.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not wanting to go over board as like I say I've no clue if he'll take to the detailing lifestyle, I've got a fair few products so will give his car a good going over and top of with a wax, Just thought I'd get him something for his car as like I say its his pride and joy.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't give him Natty's Blue I think the durability is abit sh*t. Although I'm using the liquid and not paste wax, not sure if one is better than the other.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Don't mean to hi jack but what super duper wax for inferno? Cant be assed with a machine polisher just pure muscle.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
To Imprezaworks Buy some auto finesse tripple and something dueable like AutoGlym HD wax.

Tripple + AF Tough coat is very good snd so easy to use all by hand. TC is a spray wipe/wipe off product easy to get a couple of layers on.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Carnauba Wax? I can't actually tell if you're serious, too tired. :(

Golf GT & A4 Avant
carnuba is one of many ingredients that makes up a wax, so what one have you heard about? what do you know about waxes? serious question

tough coat is a wax based spray sealant. AG HD wax is a very durable hybrid wax. AF temptation is a cheap and nice looking wax to work with tripple, or poorboys nattys blue wax

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I kind of am, I'm far from an expert on cleaning products although I should be with the way I look after the car, but I allways rightly or wrongly assumed its good???

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sort of. It's quite old school and this day and age more for looks than durability.

AG HD is a synthetic/hybrid wax bit like Collinites but nicer. It'll last ages but also looks pretty good. Especially over something like Lime Prime, Tripple, Amigo, Rejuvenate. Lots of pre-wax products out there.

Something of that ilk.

ive not had much luck with black hole on mine, didnt notice any difference at all, im probably using it wrong but it didnt cover any faint scratches or scuffs on mine, how do you guys rate the stuff? cant beat a nice wax on a black car though.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
ive not had much luck with black hole on mine, didnt notice any difference at all, im probably using it wrong but it didnt cover any faint scratches or scuffs on mine, how do you guys rate the stuff? cant beat a nice wax on a black car though.

Did you apply it like a wax then buff off or did you work it in.

I have to admit when i first tried it i wiped in on, wiped it off and was like WTF. After realising that i was being special i managed to get the most out of it the day after and really worked it in and it was brilliant.

Although i have to jump on the bandwagon and say id rather use either tripple or amigo (probably amigo) instead of black hole.

Not a 320d
You cant go wrong with Tripple. I love it. Such a good product. £8 too!

Top it off with a wax. Gally mentioned Autoglym HD wax which would be a good choice really.

Not a 320d
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/autoglym-high-definition-wax/prod_738.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/pre-wax-cleaners/auto-finesse-tripple-all-in-one/prod_893.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/ultimate-german-applicator/prod_280.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/ultra-fine-buffing-towels-pkg/2/prod_192.html

Thats just about everything you need to take care of your paintwork. Would be worth buying a bar of clay too if youve never done it before, or recently. Proper Perp and all that. Will give a better surface for the tripple to bond to and make it last longer. And look better.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
tripple is a fantastic product, and will always have a bittle in my kit bag..

what i would say is a little thought needs to go into what wax or sealant you out over the top of it, as due to it containing a small amount of wax protection in it already, it can have an affect on the performance and bond of what you put on top

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered some triplle stuff with a free aplicator pad and cloth. Will give it a blast on sunday.

Not a 320d
Ordered some triplle stuff with a free aplicator pad and cloth. Will give it a blast on sunday.

Good man. If you can find the extra money Id invest in a wax or a spray sealant. More importantly Id also invest in some cheap wash gear. Halfrauds own brand grey wash mitt, 2 buckets and some zymol auto wash (or is it auto bathe? - dark green one) which is also in halfrauds. And a drying towel. Asda drying towels if you can get hold of one.

Focus ST-3

Personally I wouldnt touch this stuff... but I have never used it. When i bought my ST the guy said i will give you this as its no use to me without a car, and gave me that stuff. Running my hand over the car and plastics i had black s**t all over my fingers and he hadnt driven it since cleaning it... I have no idea if he had used it correctly but it went straight in the bin when i got home and cleaned it myself. took a couple of goes to get all the shite off the paintwork.

Im sure its ok, and he had just used it wrong, but its put me off.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Black hole has been ordered and as said 'if' he gets the detailing bug I'll get him some more bits hat have been recommended.

He's the girlfriends brother so not about to go spending a fortune on him.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
i understand not wanting to spend too much money, but if all his hard work washes away with the lightest of drizzle, its not realy gonna be worth his time or effort. false economy

even the cheapest of waxes or sealants woukd be money well spent

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Just thinking I'm sure I'll assist him when he first uses it so he can slap a bit of R222 on it, Might not be a perfect Combo but it'll give him an idea if he wants to get into detailing.