ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic macro in excel help

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I have a sheet in excel which contains possible sales opportunities and has about 30 columns in.

What I need to do, is put a macro in a different sheet which will display all the rows and some of the columns where 'Y' is present in one of the columns - make sense?

I never use macros, so literally have no clue where to start with it.

The fact that it would just be easier to filter the column for 'Y' has been pointed out, but they insist that they don't want the ' hassle' of doing that, and just want to click a button.

It's also pointed out that this would probably sit better in access, but again, no interest.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am clueless

Cheers.

Deeg.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So if there is a "Y" in any cell in a column, you want the full column to be displayed on a seperate sheet?

working example:

if column "A" has a Y in cell A8, you want that full column to be displayed on a different row?

Sounds simple enough but trying to understand what you're looking to acheive.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Eg, there is a y present in column U, then I want all rows displaying a Y in column U to be returned in a separate sheet.

The other issue, is that I want to display only certain Colima, probably 10 from the 30.

Cheers Luke.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Is it just column U that will contain a Y ? Or does the test need to be run on each column?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Just column U will contain Y, but need to return columns A,B,S,T,V,W,X,Y,Z,AA,AB,AC,AD,AE, for all rows containing y.

Will also need to re-size some of the columns so that I can print a report.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL at basic macro help in excel.

This is full blown VBA coding Deeg :cool: I will look into it at some point today and try put something together for you.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at basic macro help in excel.

This is full blown VBA coding Deeg :cool: I will look into it at some point today and try put something together for you.

Lol,

As I say, I have literally zero idea, and don't really want to learn as I don't want to be the guy people come to asking for macro's.

I've cobbled one together using the record function and assigned it to a button, will see if that does the trick.

I hate the coding side of excel etc, it bores the arse of me and really isn't what I want to be doing.

Thanks a lot for your help mate, very much appreciated.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Done the trick with the record function.

Cheers Luke, I'll sort you a bottle of pop out at CSS for going to the trouble of having a look.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So using solely the record button, you've told excel to look through each cell in column U, and if said cell contains a U copy and paste the whole row into a new sheet?

You're better than me!!! :hail:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
So using solely the record button, you've told excel to look through each cell in column U, and if said cell contains a U copy and paste the whole row into a new sheet?

You're better than me!!! :hail:

Yeah, just hit record. Do exactly what you want it to do, start to finish and then stop recording and assign to a button.

I've stressed that if it breaks all I can do is do the same again, I won't be able to fix it, ha.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
tbh I try to do everything by code myself as i don't like how the 'record macro' button does stuff. Also learn it better doing it that way (if that's what you want to learn)

Recording also adds in steps that are completely unneccesary.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, i agree about the unnecessary steps, but it seems to be doing the trick.

Coding is long, lol.

As I say, I really don't want to get into the coding side of things because I really don't like having anything to do with it. It literally makes no sense to me.