ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

* BATTERY LIGHT *

Sinclair C5

Reposted due to much needed help.

I would appriciate any help on the following subject.

I have recently had a new battery and alternator fitted to my 02 plate clio 172 due to the alternator failing. Since the new equipment has been fitted I now have an intermitent problem regarding the alternator. Sometimes when I start the car the battery light goes out, the alternator starts charging and everything is fine but on ocassions the battery warning light stays on and the alternator does not commence charging.

I have the alternator checked while in the car and also on a bench rig and it is all working ok.

I have had the wiring checked and all this is ok.

I have noticed that the light seems to come on when the car hasnt been used for a while, like first thing in the morning, after ive driven to work and parked up, ill go outside after about an hour start the car up and itll be fine.

Im in dire need for a solution to this problem as it is becoming very very frustrating.

Thanks in advance David.

ITB'd 172 POPTART

Occasionally when im driving i get the STOP - SERVICE - HANDBRAKE - BATTERY lights on for like a flicker. Not sure if this is the same problem?

Sinclair C5

no mate, mine comes on and stays on, proper doing my head in, going away this weekend but weve got to go in the missus Astra as the dodgy Renault cant be trusted :(

thanks for the help anyway

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Do you have anything that could be draining the battery even with the engine switched off ?

Sinclair C5

The car always starts so Im presuming no, I find it very strange how it works after the cars been run but not after its been stood a while.

going outside to try it now 2pm, not been started since 9am.............

as suspected, battery light on

:mad: GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

What are the volt meter reading with engine off and with engine started ?

Sinclair C5

when the battery light is on the reading is low and drops, when the battery light is out the reading is fine and the alternator is charging correctly.

I couldnt tell you the exact readings off the top of my head, sorry.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

During charging it should be 13+ volts.. when switched off it shouldnt be lower than 11.9 volts.

Its worth getting a volt meter and checking it out, it looks like you still have a problem with the alternator working intermitedly. I would suspect that your previous alternator hadnt given up at all.

williams 2 turbo

could be bad earth somewhere, or a duff cell in the battery, before i got the optima one, i had a similar thing, but as the battery got warmer it stopped, when it cooled down went funny, may be worth checking out.

Sinclair C5

KDF - I see what youre saying about the old alternator maybe not being faulty. Saying that it was diagnosed by Renault as faulty. :confused:

DG - I have replaced my battery but I have retried the old battery and the situation was the same so I am concluding that this rules the battery out as faulty.

thanks for the ideas guys

Sinclair C5

Im going to go outside now and try the car, I would be very suprised if the light came on now because I started it at 2pm, here goes 3pm.........................................

bugger, lights on !!