ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Being clumsy is expensive!!

Don't know if anyone can give me any ideas? I stupidly dropped a screw from my tax disk holder into the air vent that runs along the top of the dash board.
When i turn a corner it rolls from one side of the dash to the other, obviously this isn't ideal.
I phoned renault and asked what my options were and they said the dash board has to come off, and will take about 5-6 hours work at £70 an hour!! I really can't afford £350-£420 for this.
So any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've thought about a magnet on a string but i guess it'll be rather tricky trying to find it.
Thanks

320d
Can you not drive the car on to a make shift ramp to allow the screw to roll to one side or the other then use the magnet idea?

How about taking the top dash partly off yourself?

Or if you can work out / see where the screw is, some kind of stick with blue-tack on the end to pick it out?

edit: just make sure you don't end up with a screw and some blue-tack in your went!

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
edit: just make sure you don't end up with a screw and some blue-tack in your went![/QUOTE]

LOL

Golf GTI 1.8T
could try putting some sticky tape in there at each end, surely would hit it at some point.

Clio 172mk2
think its a screw drive with like tweezers at side .

firstly can u see the screw if so , get bluetack pout a small amount on the tip of scre driver or rod, then just prod the screw n pull it out

tiTTy & SV650
those tax disc holders are a pain i put a tray under mine when i change the disc just in case...

Dropped the screw once but it got stuck under the windscreen between dash and windscreen, magnet did it for me.

Clio 172 mk2
Just drop a blob or two of glue in there and the screw will soon find a sticky home:D

Think yourself very lucky though....I dropped a nut down the filler for the gearbox in my old WRX!!!!!!

Luckily I undid the gearbox drain plug and it was sitting there....if it hadn't of been there I would have been in for a very expensive rebuild or a second-hand box for around 400-500 quid.

Moral of the story.....always block holes:D

Mazda MX5 1.8
i couldnt believe it when i changed tax disc!

coming up to do the last screw up and the sodding thing came unstuck from the window!! b*****d

i was using a cloth tho to catch the screws....

Mr2 Roadster
Take the dash top off!

The whole thing will come out and go back in in uder 30 mins...

Open both doors.
Remove the front sections of the door seals.
Unclip the pillar covers.
Unscrew the dash top.
Pull/slide forwards.

Thanks very much for all your help. I know i should've bloked the holes, so stupid! That magnetic pick up tool looks like it might work, cheers for that!
I really hope it doesn't come to taking off the dash, im about as mechanical as a gold fish so would be a nightmare.
If i get it out i'll let you know.
Cheers again.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
go to a local car stereo place, they should be willing to take the dash off for you asa foreigner for a lot cheaper

Ph1
iPap said:
Take the dash top off!

The whole thing will come out and go back in in uder 30 mins...

Open both doors.
Remove the front sections of the door seals.
Unclip the pillar covers.
Unscrew the dash top.
Pull/slide forwards.

Was thinking why not do this, myself !! Cant belive its taken 2 pages for someone to suggest it lol

It is a very easy thing to take off and its just about guaranteed to sort this hassle out for ya.

Andyman said:
Was thinking why not do this, myself !! Cant belive its taken 2 pages for someone to suggest it lol

It is a very easy thing to take off and its just about guaranteed to sort this hassle out for ya.

Cos i know i will fcuk it up big time. Trust me i'm a total idiot when it comes to anything like that, proof being that i've got myself into this mess!!

172 phaseII
benji&eka said:
just add it to the daily list of clio rattles. i found a new one today too :dapprove:

think that is quality! should be a qoute! maybe alon the top of the home page!

R35 GTR
lol. I wanna take dash off too, but know i would end up with thousands more rattles. Personally I would live with it until you need to get dash off.