ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Belkin 54 Wireless Internet Connection Problems - STUMPED.COM

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
A friend of mine asked me to security enable (WPA/WEP) his belkin 54 router. Once enabled the main household laptop (running vista) connects but refuses to access the internet (the laptop returns an IP DNS error) via wireless (cable is fine). All other laptops (including my iphone) can connect without issue. I removed/disabled the WPA/WEP security and it still refuses to connect to the internet. I've tried restoring the laptop as well as deleting the network from the laptop wireless history (via the vista wireless control panel interface) but to no avail. Short of reseting the router I'm completely stumped as to what the problem can be...Any ideas?

Do you think releasing ipconfig manually might do the trick?

Cheers

G-Man!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Check the settings on the laptop.

Find out if you laptop is correctly getting a dhcp offer, and check the settings its receiving like DNS servers, gateway etc.

The gateway determines where to send packets that are not on the same network eg. t'internet

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Check the settings on the laptop.

Find out if you laptop is correctly getting a dhcp offer, and check the settings its receiving like DNS servers, gateway etc.

The gateway determines where to send packets that are not on the same network eg. t'internet

Cheers for the info mate! Last time I checked I don't think it was getting a dhcp offer! If that's definitely the case what could be the cause of the issue? What do I need to do to sort it?

I noticed that the laptop was receiving/sending packets it's just the final bit of the network configuration/authentication that was failing! When I checked the router settings I made sure MAC filtering was off

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
When you connect does it say limited connectivity ? whats the model number of the router. To be honest Belkin kit is s**t.. and thats putting it nicely.

try setting a static IP (within the same subnet as your network obviously !) and manually setting the dns and gateway. Rules out any Vista/DHCP problems.

If you really want to find out the problem then get a packet sniffer and filter it for DHCP and see if

1) any offers are being sent out
2) any rejections are being made.