ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beneath the scuttle

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon chaps,
Just looking for some clarity on a water ingress problem in passenger footwell. Got the scuttle off and I'm unsure if I have parts of the guttering/drainage missing.
1st photo bottom left corner of the windscreen has plastic guttering connected via the white strip.
IMG_0901.JPG
The passenger side of the screen doesn't have the gutter.
IMG_0902.JPG
In the centre bellow there is a clear piece circled on the right nothing to the left? Is there a matching piece on a complete set up?
IMG_0904.JPG
Any input much appreciated.
Cheers

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Everything in your photos looks normal.

I see a lot of these posts, the 'wet carpets' are pretty much 'normal' for these cars!

The central scuttle drain inlet or outlet is often the culprit, the outlet is an easy cure.
Run your hand down between the back of the engine and the sound proofing/firewall about half-way across, well down the back there will be a small hole in the soundproofing, poke you finger in there - you may be able to feel the outlet pipe, give it a good fingering and usually the crap will come out along with a gush of water!
35710875195_d73402c59b_b.jpg

There are also scuttle drain holes either side of the scuttle, these outlet behind the wheel arch, so if above it doesn't cure the leak, take out the carpets/under-sponge, washer bottle and put a hose pipe along the scuttle.
The centre scuttle drain (black grommet).
35542332082_f4e85ae44e_b.jpg

You should see water from all three exit points or inside it goes.

Another thing to check whilst in there, the rubber inlets can become dislodged, I silicon sealed mine back in place to be sure.

Fixing the wet carpets is usually a bigger job, the under-capet sponge fitted on these can and usually does hold a couple of litres of water, so not easy to dry out completely in situ.

I hope this helps (and others with similar problem)

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Everything in your photos looks normal.

I see a lot of these posts, the 'wet carpets' are pretty much 'normal' for these cars!

The central scuttle drain inlet or outlet is often the culprit, the outlet is an easy cure.
Run your hand down between the back of the engine and the sound proofing/firewall about half-way across, well down the back there will be a small hole in the soundproofing, poke you finger in there - you may be able to feel the outlet pipe, give it a good fingering and usually the crap will come out along with a gush of water!
35710875195_d73402c59b_b.jpg

There are also scuttle drain holes either side of the scuttle, these outlet behind the wheel arch, so if above it doesn't cure the leak, take out the carpets/under-sponge, washer bottle and put a hose pipe along the scuttle.
The centre scuttle drain (black grommet).
35542332082_f4e85ae44e_b.jpg

You should see water from all three exit points or inside it goes.

Another thing to check whilst in there, the rubber inlets can become dislodged, I silicon sealed mine back in place to be sure.

Fixing the wet carpets is usually a bigger job, the under-capet sponge fitted on these can and usually does hold a couple of litres of water, so not easy to dry out completely in situ.

I hope this helps (and others with similar problem)
Quality mate. Thanks

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great comments from @obcuz there. The passenger side drainage is very prone to blockage, especially if you park regularly under trees with leaves and other debris falling down. I've had sloshing in that area before now and my mate had to clear this on his 172 - the trapped water stank too!

Although a little bit fiddly - the wiper mechanism is easy to remove if you have a little patience. Worth re-greasing the joints if you take it out too. Using your own picture, I've pointed to a rough approximation of where there's a locating pin mounted to the bulkhead. When putting the mechanism back in - it has a hole that needs to re-aligned with this pin. If you don't, the entire mechanism can be reattached, but it ends up a bit on the piss. Been there..... done that. :blush:

upload_2017-7-6_12-40-5.png

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Great comments from @obcuz there. The passenger side drainage is very prone to blockage, especially if you park regularly under trees with leaves and other debris falling down. I've had sloshing in that area before now and my mate had to clear this on his 172 - the trapped water stank too!

Although a little bit fiddly - the wiper mechanism is easy to remove if you have a little patience. Worth re-greasing the joints if you take it out too. Using your own picture, I've pointed to a rough approximation of where there's a locating pin mounted to the bulkhead. When putting the mechanism back in - it has a hole that needs to re-aligned with this pin. If you don't, the entire mechanism can be reattached, but it ends up a bit on the piss. Been there..... done that. :blush:

View attachment 192781
Thanks for adding to that mate.