ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best box for a ph1 172 Turbo?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
there are quite a few dutch guys using valvers and willy's on track and they break boxes often too, they were debating on placing an oil cooler to keep temps down. if its not the torgue that kills them at n/a power levels then probably would be the temp off the oil...

Box coolers are quite a good idea, although can be a bit of a pain to implement.
I think there is a chance its a case of the oil getting thrown off by the RPM though possibly and not getting replaced quickly enough, you'd need a pump spraying at the cogs to help with that though of course, lol
I'm only guessing though, like most people involved with these cars, there is no budget for real investigation as they are such cheap cars.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Well maybe in the UK they are cheap. Although al cars are more expensive in the Netherlands...
If you buy a 172 with minor mods and low km's you'd be spending somewhere around €6000.

172 in UK is more like €4000 including mods like Cup spoiler, cat-back, coilovers etc...

However i think a 02m conversion would be more interesting. It is a bit off a investment but in the long run will save alot of time and money...

172 cup, Impreza P1
Box coolers are quite a good idea, although can be a bit of a pain to implement.
I think there is a chance its a case of the oil getting thrown off by the RPM though possibly and not getting replaced quickly enough, you'd need a pump spraying at the cogs to help with that though of course, lol
I'm only guessing though, like most people involved with these cars, there is no budget for real investigation as they are such cheap cars.

Do you think for track use a good quality 75w90 gear oil would be better than the standard 75w80?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you think for track use a good quality 75w90 gear oil would be better than the standard 75w80?

Outside my sphere of experience im afraid mate, havent ever done any back to back comparisons with different viscosity box oils.
Can certainly see the logic in your thoughts there though with regards to coping better if it gets hot.

182 Turbo
Have decided to invest in a mocal 16 row gearbox oil cooler, hopefully I can find a suitable place to mount it lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Brave step to take mate, as its not a particuarly easy job taking the gearbox out on these cars. Probably a good one longer term though :)

182 Turbo
Well thing is I want a longer ratio box + I do plan to get an LSD so while it's out may aswell kill 2 birds with one stone, although fitting a gearbox oil cooler wouldn't need to remove the box?

BMW 535d
So a dci80 box is a JC5 128?

There are so many its baffling

Plus how short are the first and second?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well thing is I want a longer ratio box + I do plan to get an LSD so while it's out may aswell kill 2 birds with one stone, although fitting a gearbox oil cooler wouldn't need to remove the box?

How are you going to plumb in fittings to get the oil in and out of the box if you dont remove it?

182 Turbo
How are you going to plumb in fittings to get the oil in and out of the box if you dont remove it?

Fair play it does look like it needs to be removed, will make sure I do that when a new gearbox goes in, probably would be a good option while it's out.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
First and second are a tat shorter then gas jc5's. Where a turbo'ed car could actualy use longer ones...