ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best First Mod - 172 Cup

172 Cup
Got a standard 172 cup, bar V6 airbox and filter.

I've got a couple of hundred quid to play with so after my first performance mod - been reading up on RS Tuners and I'm also tempted for a 182 manifold/de-cat combo.

Don't really see the point of getting a full exhaust system yet until the standard one falls off, and aside from a change in noise I can't see I'll notice a real difference.

So, should I go for a 182 manifold/decat (couple for sale at mo for reasonable prices) option or an RS Tuner? Which will give me the most improvement in performance/driveability (NOT rr figures)

Without sounding like a dick - Neither

The RS Tuner gives you a higher rev limit and the feeling of a BIT more poke - but not worth the money
The 182 manifold and decat is an absolute pain to fit and just makes the car noisier

The K-Tec induction kit they've just released that puts a filter behind the headlight is proving to be a popular first mod, bit more induction noise and a few more bhp

172 Cup
Just took off a BCM induction kit - didn't like the noise. Car feels a lot better for having the airbox/filter setup so that'll be staying.

If those options aren't worth having, I welcome any other thoughts? Proper remap by RS Tuning or similiar? Just a de-cat?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any of the following that have play in them currently:
track rod ends
track rods
wishbone bushes
bottom balljoints
steering rack bushes
dampers

The best thing about a cup is corners, so make sure it can do those as it should first before pointlessly spending hundred of pounds trying to get 2bhp extra out of it etc.

every 1 seems so caught up with buying mods for them im glad im not the only 1 who thinks making sure it runs sweet is more important

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
every 1 seems so caught up with buying mods for them im glad im not the only 1 who thinks making sure it runs sweet is more important

There are SO many bad 172s out there now, first thing is just to get it back to being as it should, getting 6bhp more out of your car with vague steering is just utterly pointless in terms of driving pleasure.
If you want to go quick in a straight line and put up with it handling vaguely buy a VXR or something instead that actually can be made quick cheaply.

There are SO many bad 172s out there now, first thing is just to get it back to being as it should, getting 6bhp more out of your car with vague steering is just utterly pointless in terms of driving pleasure.
If you want to go quick in a straight line and put up with it handling vaguely buy a VXR or something instead that actually can be made quick cheaply.

yep quite a few would probs say my cup is abit of a rough 1 due to needing the wheels refurbed but its never missed a service unlike quite alot of these nice looking 172's where under the bonnet etc there a total bag of s**t

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yep quite a few would probs say my cup is abit of a rough 1 due to needing the wheels refurbed but its never missed a service unlike quite alot of these nice looking 172's where under the bonnet etc there a total bag of s**t

Its the suspension servicing that bothers me more personally, the handling is the main reason i like these cars, take the edge off that and they are just a distinctly average car that is quite fiddly to maintain and expensive to get bits for and no longer worth owning IMHO unless you practically get given one.

172 Cup
track rod ends
track rods
wishbone bushes
bottom balljoints
steering rack bushes
dampers

The best thing about a cup is corners, so make sure it can do those as it should first before pointlessly spending hundred of pounds trying to get 2bhp extra out of it etc.

Tyres are all decent continentals. All suspension (dampers,springs,bushes) replaced with genuine Renault cup items within last 12 months. Engine recently serviced, cam belt done. Dog bone mount replaced with uprated item, and all other mounts brand new.

Therefore..interested in performance mods as per first post.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Tyres are all decent continentals. All suspension (dampers,springs,bushes) replaced with genuine Renault cup items within last 12 months. Engine recently serviced, cam belt done. Dog bone mount replaced with uprated item, and all other mounts brand new.

Therefore..interested in performance mods as per first post.

I would still get the geo checked and inspect for play at a minimum personally having experienced how much difference even minor things like the tracking not quite right can cause, but if you are happy that because it was done less than 12 months ago its still a good as it can be that is your decision.

How mechanically capable are you?
As for example fitting a 182 manifold is something I think is quite worthwhile and in fact I did one last week onto a 172, but unless you are happy either removing the head or dropping the subframe its not something you are likely to be able to do yourself.

In terms of the engine, RS Tuner file onto it is probably the best value mod IMHO in terms of performance.

172 Cup
Sorry should have said, geo done 4 weeks before I purchased (have printouts etc) so would hope its still OK as that was only 3 months ago.

Am good mates with Specky chip, so the effort involved in fitting doesn't bother me. Lol

Manifold/decay or rstuner if you had to choose?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you are good mates with specky, get him to get you a discount at RS Tuning, and have a proper live map done on your car.

But bear in mind if you then change the exhaust etc later on then it will mean it needs yet another remap.

My own personal opinion is that there is nothing worth doing as a "first step" for a coupel of hundred quid on one these engines for a genuine performance gain, the only thing that will really work for that money is mapping and thats not a first step, it should always be the last step.

Decide on your total budget, and spec accordingly, doing it bit by bit always costs more.

172cup turbo & rx8
track rod ends
track rods
wishbone bushes
bottom balljoints
steering rack bushes
dampers

chip, dont suppose you have the part number for the steering rack bushes that you recently replaced on yours?

is it 7701470760? if so will i need two of these or just one?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
chip, dont suppose you have the part number for the steering rack bushes that you recently replaced on yours?

is it 7701470760? if so will i need two of these or just one?

I bought them off Mwm mate. Sorry took no notice of part number I just took them out packet and fitted them and threw the packet away.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
The only bit of a car I know little on is things like track rods, bottom ball joints and wishbones etc. Need a noob diagram of where they are and what they do :eek:

Edit - I know where they are just what's what.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only bit of a car I know little on is things like track rods, bottom ball joints and wishbones etc. Need a noob diagram of where they are and what they do :eek:

Edit - I know where they are just what's what.

wishbones (and hence bottom balljoints) are there to actually keep the hub physically in place relative to the car, the track rod ends and track rods are there to allow the steering rack to rotate the hub/strut assembly.

If you have play in any of those components, the steering will feel very vague.

I agree with chip - there is no "first step" or "cheap" performance mod for clios

Most induction kits lose power, decats do feck all. A remap will get you a few more bhp - but then every other mod you do you'll have to remap it
It costs £3k+ to get an extra 20bhp out of these cars. Just get it handling sweet and be happy with the performance it has

Some eibach springs and a whiteline rear ARB improve the handling massively for under £300 and will mean you can carry more speed through the corners

172 Cup
I totally get what you and Chip are saying Phil.

I've come from many performance cars, some track orientated (210bhp corsa xe on ITBs) for instance. This clio, in it's standard flavour handles on an entirely different level to my old corsa. I therefore don't want to play with the handling as, from my previous cars, it is already in a totally different league.

The only down-side I can find is that the 172 just doesn't have as much grunt as I've had previously. Yes I know it's not all about straightline speed etc, but abit more pull would be nice.

I think, given what everyone has said, that I'll give Paul at RS Tuning a ring and get a remap to hopefully give me slightly more poke. I wont bother with the decat or exhaust until the current ones break, so I'd hope that won't be in the next 6 months.

Thanks for all your advice.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly in the same way that its hard to make a corsa b XE go round corners cheaply (although at least diffs are pennies) its also hard to make a 172 make decent power cheaply.

XE is a FAR better engine to modify and will have really spoilt you in that respect.

My times round combe though were roughly the same in my mrs nearly standard 172 and my XE corsa on ITBs, and thats a track that favoured the corsa, anywhere more twisty the clio would have had it.

Best bet really is to save up and turbo it IMHO, thats the only way you'll see big gains for sensible money.

172 Cup
Nah, just got rid of a 300bhp ZLET astra so sticking n/a. Like I said, will speak to Paul and go from there.