ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best place to buy a new 172 cup driveshaft apart from renault?

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
As per the title. Renault say they are out of stock i bought a shaftec one but its a couple of cm too long it does bolt up but it grinds as the cv joint is too compressed/tight. Has anyone bought them from ktec?

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
As per the title. Renault say they are out of stock i bought a shaftec one but its a couple of cm too long it does bolt up but it grinds as the cv joint is too compressed/tight. Has anyone bought them from ktec?

Not bought from them but have enquired in the past and they're gen/ren items so worth a punt.

PH2 172
What part number was the shaftec item?And who supplied it?

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
I cant remember i bought it off ebay a couple of weeks ago i found it by using a link from an old thread on here

PH2 172
I cant remember i bought it off ebay a couple of weeks ago i found it by using a link from an old thread on here
Shaftec p/n R209AL/AR left or right should be correct for cup.
The last one`s I saw on Ebay,the seller was clueless as to what car they fit!
Try a branch of Andrew Page motor factors,around £70 per shaft.

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
The 209al was the one i bought i will put a pic up of them side by side

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
20160216_103539-768x1365.jpg

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
Heres the driveshafts together you can see the shaftec one is just slightly too long. I have found somewhere to refurb my original for £90 now so this one will be up for sale iam assuming its for a standard 1*2

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
I did look at that but the refurb shop where i have took them say they have to grind of the old cv joint and remachine it to fit a new cv joint? Anyway its getting sorted now i should have it back in 3 days

dan's cast offs.
when you pick it up ask them to point out what they would of had to grind off, would love to know.

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
I did think that myself but hey got nothing to lose it was knackered anyway if its not right i wont pay for it. To be fair all they deal with is props and driveshafts so i am sure they know what they are doing....

PH2 172
There appears to be a few extra threads on the shaftec piece,but in what way would this compress/load the CV joint?

The critical length is between the gearbox & the hub/wheel bearings.

Was the Ebay listing a private or business listing?Have you a record of the item number?

Too my eye,judging by the extension of the CV boot,the shaft is too short & is probably a non cup PH2 R218AL thrown into a correctly numbered box.
I do not have a personal axe to grind,other than that ill informed comments nearly swerved me to paying more than twice the price of the R218AR that`s doing perfect service on my non cup 172 PH2.

If Cup shafts are NLA from Renault,& K-Tech are £249 a side for Cups,then I feel that is it appropriate that there should be some feedback from someone that has purchased Shaftech from a reputable source.

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
All i know is its too long i managed to bolt it up but it took some effort and i had to use a lot of force to get the balljoint to line up with the holes and then it was making a strange clicking grinding noise when turning by hand its obviously not supposed to be forced on. its probably is a standard 172 driveshaft as for the quality its fine. I bought it as a cup one but it was months ago i didnt have anything to compare it to till i took mine off.

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
Well i dont know what its for then?? Do you know the different measurements for the driveshafts are?

PH2 172
Well i dont know what its for then?? Do you know the different measurements for the driveshafts are?
Sorry,I do not have figures for LH shaft.The RH is 430mm standard 172,440mm for Cup.
I hope your refurbed shaft works out OK.
You do not need to disturb the ball joint,just remove the 2 top bolts that hold the hub carrier to the shock,with both front wheels off the ground,so you dont have to fight the anti roll bar.