ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best SLR or Similar for £450

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I'm after a nice SLR for the other half for her birthday but really haven't a clue what I should be looking for....
Seen a few of the smaller cameras with big lenses in my local camera shop which look the part. Looking to spend no more then £450ish really.

Thanks in advance.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’m guessing the ‘small cameras with big lenses’ are CSC’s? Micro 4/3’s, Sony NEX’s, Nikon 1 etc.

Those are good options, brilliant little camera’s, they should be right on Budget too. Personally I’d go for the Micro 4/3’s camera’s due to a larger range of lenses and accessories than say the Sony NEX’s.

I’d look at this- http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/83258/show.html , The Panasonic GX1, gets a good name in reviews and had a play with one in Jessops and was very impressed, the image quality seemed to match that of my DSLR.

Alternatively you could look at entry level DSLR’s which are never a bad choice if you want to take Photography further such as- http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78032/show.html, I’ve used both of these camera’s and can say that ergonomically the DSLR is better, but if all you want from the camera is good images then Micro 4/3’s should be more than adequate and the GX1 actually exceed’s the capabilities of some entry level DSLR’s in certain fields, so I’d have a think.

I hope I’ve helped,

Niall.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Girlfriend just bought me a Nikon D3200 camera for my birthday :) I'm a complete n00b... gets great reviews though!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Standard issue answer coming up -

Go into Jessops / Currys / John Lewis and (get the GF to) play around with cameras in your budget.

There's literally no right answer until you've got a feel for them.

:eek:

Girlfriend just bought me a Nikon D3200 camera for my birthday :) I'm a complete n00b... gets great reviews though!

It is rather ironic that Nikons (new) entry level SLR has better IQ (bar low light) than Canons full frame 5D mk3... (puts on flamesuit;))

That said I don't think you'' get a 3200 for this budget

I'd say 550D also, personally. But, if you consider Canons cheaper 1100D, I've read in many places that the Nikon equivalent is better.

Like TEG says though - Jessops! There's nothing like having a play first.

2.2 bar shed.
It is rather ironic that Nikons (new) entry level SLR has better IQ (bar low light) than Canons full frame 5D mk3... (puts on flamesuit;))

That said I don't think you'' get a 3200 for this budget

Have you seen the reds at ISO200? They look absolutely wrong and horrendous.

£500 will get you a 3200 with 18-55 lens. Cheaper if you dont mind going grey import on ebay.

GX1 is a great camera, get it with the non powerzoom 14-42 IMO as the powerzoom is rubbish at the long end.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Cheers for the replies peeps.... Gonna pop into jessops week and have a look at a few you have suggested.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Hey Guys had a play with a few of the compact cams with the big lenses.... Think this is the route I will head down. Anyone have any experience with these smaller compact type cameras??

I have a sony nex3, so tempted to upgrade to the nex5r announced today. It has app support, which whildt initially seem gimmicky, think of all the potential such as extended bracketing modes and time lapse apps!

I think they're decent, but they'll never be a Canon or a Nikon. You'll get far more for those two in terms of attachments, user support, forums, guides, software, etc...

DB.

BMW 440i
Nikon D3100's come in at about £365 now. HD Video too.

I have one, big fan as a new person to photography

Guys they are talking about csc, not dslr. Canon and Nikon have practically zero market share, its sony, panny and olympus.

Hey Guys had a play with a few of the compact cams with the big lenses.... Think this is the route I will head down. Anyone have any experience with these smaller compact type cameras??

I have used both the Panasonic GX1 and G3. There is not muh difference in IQ, but much prefer the G3 as I liked having the flip screen and a view finder. The 100-300mm lens is madness! Its not that big and 600mm reach is superb!