ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Tablet for 6 year old ?

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Thinking of getting our son his own Tablet so he can watch BBC iplayer, watch films and play games on. He uses our ipads now but don't want to spend £250-£300 for a 6 year old to break.

What have people got for their kids?

Cheers James

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have two kindles in my house and an iPad.

The kindles never get used. Ever.

Amazon have just launched a kids version of their "Fire" range. It comes with a two year if they break it, they'll replace it guarantee. Not sure about iPlayer but definitely worth looking into for only £99.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
that's my problem, he loves the ipad but I don't feel right paying £300 for a 6 year old to use and possibly break
Mine are only allowed 30 supervised minutes a week each so they have very little chance of damaging it.

But I get your point though.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Hudl 2, both my kids had the first one and they got on fine. My oldest now has an iPad mini retina which was just over £200 brand new.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not to question the parenting of a stranger- but should a 6 year old have their own tablet?

Unless you've got a very well setup web filter then I would be cautious of even letting a 12 year old have their own internet access tbh.

But with regards to your question- a Nexus7 on Amazon is less than £100 now which is unbeatable for the money.

RenaultSport clio 182
My 6 and 8yr old girls both have Hudls. Great for the money, especially with club card boost they end up half price. The 4yr old boy has a small kindle of some description in a big rubbery drop proof case!

Not to question the parenting of a stranger- but should a 6 year old have their own tablet?

Unless you've got a very well setup web filter then I would be cautious of even letting a 12 year old have their own internet access tbh.

But with regards to your question- a Nexus7 on Amazon is less than £100 now which is unbeatable for the money.

They have internet turned off via parent controls most of the time unless doing homework research. Mostly they play games with each other like minecraft. Hudls have a great timer that restricts the time of day it can be used (not after 2000hrs in our house, or before 0630hrs) and total daily screen time too (30 mins weekday, 1hr weekends)!

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Cheers for the replys. Re internet access that's why I want to find one with iplayer installed or app downloadable and restrict access through that like I do when he has our iPad's. Looks like fire kids, or the hudl is the way to go.

A4 Avant & A3
My 7 year old has a Hudl2, the nice thing with these is unlike my nexus 7, you can add extra storage via the sd card slot, so you can store films etc on the sd card saving the internal memory.
The nexus 7 is fine, but will be quite a bit more money as you'd want at least a 32Gb one, so price wiase, you can't go far wrong with a hudl for kids... i'm thinking I might get one to replace my aging nexus 7 at some point.

Also with the Hudl2 it's parental controls are quite good, you can set it up with yourself as the main account & then add your child their own locked down account, the child accounts have a child friendly browser, where they need you to enter a PIN to allow access. (I've not tried an iplayer app on it, but can do if it something you'd like confirmation on)
This does get a bit tedious when they are constantly wanting access to different websites!

They will also need you to log in to download any apps & then allow it onto their user account. So it's all pretty locked down if needs be.
Most of this can be done on the likes of the nexus 7, but I've not seen an internet browser app that works as good (not saying there isn't one out there somewhere)

The annoying thing I found with the parental control accounts, is there are certain things it won't allow you to let them have, thinking back I think youtube was not allowed on the child accounts, this may have changed I've not looked in a while. but that caused me no end of grief when my lad wanted to watch those damn minecraft videos!!.

You might also do well in laying down some rules regarding its use, as, if like my kids, they'll want to play on it 24/7!! and it's hard working taking it back.