ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to utilise 4G?

350z GT
Hi Guys

So bought the new Ipad with 4G on sunday...

Whats the best way to use it?
IE. Pay as you go sim from o2 or 3?

How do others do it?

Ta

Your iPad won't work on 4G in this country.

For 3G just get a PAYG sim from whoever gives you the best coverage where you'll want to use it.

Clio 172
If your going to use it mainly at home on wifi then PAYG is the way forward.....if you already have a mobile phone with data it usually just worth pairing them up and using your phones free data these days especially if your on the Three network with all you can eat data!!

350z GT
Well i bought it as got a new role at work which means a lot of travelling around, hotels mon - fri basically.
So itll be hotel Wi-Fi most of the time, just wanted a back up if you like.

So whats the diff between 3 -4G, I didnt know there was a difference tbh

Clio 172
As said 4G is a lot faster but has only been rolled out in a very few places and only by one Network at the moment (Orange).

350z GT
Hmm so now i ask myself do i get a PAYG Orange sim card or just go for PAYD one which has best 3g coverage atm and wait for it to roll it out as and when?

i assume 3 have the best moblie data still dont they?

Even when it rolled out, the internals of your iPad are a different frequency so it'll never work on 4G in this country.

350z GT
ohhh ok, so why do they advertise it with it then? Seems a bit silly lol not that it matters to me, as long as i can surf etc i dont care how many G i have :)

350z GT
Your probably right, had my young boy head on thinking new toy :)

Looking around a lot of the data sims seem to expire after a set time (used or not)

What i really want is a sim that will sit it the pad until i cant get wifi in the hotel and need to use it, may be a month, may be 3

350z GT
Yeah, thats my concern, if im at a hotel with no/s**t wifi surely the £10 will be gone by 2 nights of watching films/p**n?

I'll be gone in an evening if you're watching more than a few hours of tv, which is likely if you only have a hotel room to entertain yourself.

Just have to hope you get acceptable wifi otherwise it's going to end up costing you a fortune.

Your other solution is to try and find a real unlimited plan. Sadly there aren't many of these around.

350z GT
may be a case of when im home at weekends, loading a load of films onto it for the week then, and only using it when have to...its 32gb so should hold enough for the week

350z GT
Ok turns out i have none on here at all...good start.

Would you be a lamb and talk me through it.

So ill get a DVD, put it in laptop, how do i get that onto the pad?

thanks btw: :)

Do you not have any 'acquired' films anywhere on your computer?

I'm not sure what software to recommend for a PC. Errrm, Nero might do it? Not sure.

But basically put the disc in and run that software. You don't really need to keep all the separate audio/video files as they would be for say, playing on your big TV or re-burning. You just want to strip it down to a smaller size. AVi or something.

Then you need the app I mentioned. That just acts as a traditional file viewer for transferring files, the same way you would to a USB stick or something.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ok turns out i have none on here at all...good start.

Would you be a lamb and talk me through it.

So ill get a DVD, put it in laptop, how do i get that onto the pad?

thanks btw: :)

google handbrake.

Put dvd in, select iPad profile.. hit go.. import finished product into iTunes.. Profit ??

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most hotels have tv' s? I can understand taking an iPad to surf the net, but to watch films etc when there is a tv seems pointless.

Audi S1
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most hotels have tv' s? I can understand taking an iPad to surf the net, but to watch films etc when there is a tv seems pointless.

Yeah taking an iPad to watch a film that you want to watch, rather than something you don't want to watch doesn't make any sense what so ever.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry but 90% of the time there is something on tv. Besides hotels aren't for sitting in your room watching a film, there for getting pissed in the bar.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to get an iPad, but it won't be for watching films, it will be for surfing the web and for games.

On a hotel tv that will have half a dozen channels?

And he's going to be away all week and get smashed every night is he?

350z GT
On a hotel tv that will have half a dozen channels?

And he's going to be away all week and get smashed every night is he?

Exactly, not going to look good if the boss hears im sat at the bar getting sloshed every night is it
And yeah, if there is something good on tv then i will watch it...but when that fails? I like to know im covered