ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BF3 - 128 player servers

Some of the team from Project Reality for BF2 are now working on BF3 at DICE/EA's request as they managed to get 128 player games working on BF2 where the devs had failed.
Among the various tasks these people will be working on is implementation 128 player support on PC, as well as modification tools and scripts. Although previously announced that Battlefield 3 will be limited to 64 players on PC, and modification tools were unlikely, while true when announced, this acquisition has given DICE the opportunity to explore and develop these areas of the game before BF3 ships.
Source - http://www.realitymod.com/# :D

Monaro VXR
Yet console players will get a whopping 24 players!

This is where the PC shines. A war game should be hectic with 128 players it actually will be. With 24 it will be a bit s**t.

Nissan 350z
The PC version might be able to support 128 players but i doubt many peoples internet connection can. As with most games people will just pick the most stable servers rather than the larger ones riddled with lag.

Mito Sportiva 135
It won't be "s**t" with 24 players, now will it?:boring:

It just means 128 players will be the best thing that's ever happened in the world, by some margin... :cool:

Astra SRI/ Hornet
resistance of man tried loads of players online and it was pants. killed every 2 seconds no thanks.

Monaro VXR
The PC version might be able to support 128 players but i doubt many peoples internet connection can. As with most games people will just pick the most stable servers rather than the larger ones riddled with lag.

Internet connections can handle it fine. You are talking around 16kb/s required per player so 2mbit(that's server side, for the end user less) add in VOIP and it's a bit more. But honestly games are not very demanding on internet connections for the most part. That 16kb is on the top end of online games as well. COD is usually around 8kb/s per player for instance.

resistance of man tried loads of players online and it was pants. killed every 2 seconds no thanks.

Resistance isn't really the same. I remember playing on 64 player BF2 servers and there were points where you would find no one to attack at all as the maps were that big. Have to remember the BF games you have people in jets, boats, buggies etc moving around constantly. They are usually huge maps on the PC versions depending on player count for the server. Each map had variations for 16-32-64 players etc. So the more players the bigger the map. Some of the 64 player maps were massive.

Mito Sportiva 135
For me though, bigger maps with more people is no more exciting than smaller maps with less people in really. Not unless the need for teamwork is improved anyway....

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That'd be MENTAL. Good if you know 64 people you can trust not to be bellends.

Bad for everyone else.

2.2 bar shed.
Planetside rocked 400 players per server. This was 6 years ago now... Still yet to see a game that surpasses it for co-op multiplayer awesomeness. Shame its s**t now.

Battlefield works well with squads. 64 player maps were awesome to play on BF2.

Thats what lets BC2 down... it's just not Battlefield. Maps are too small, a bit wishy washy maps etc.

BF3 will be Battlefield, for PC, with good wars.

Did someone mention 64 players on BC2? I'm yet to see that...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Battlefield works well with squads. 64 player maps were awesome to play on BF2.

Thats what lets BC2 down... it's just not Battlefield. Maps are too small, a bit wishy washy maps etc.

BF3 will be Battlefield, for PC, with good wars.

Did someone mention 64 players on BC2? I'm yet to see that..

Not sure that's possible, is it? I thought 32 players was the max?

None of the maps are big enough to warrant higher player numbers, imo. You really need the scale of some of the BF2 and BF2142 maps in order for 64 players to work.

D.

Fiesta ST-2
Numbers don't impress me, who cares how many people can play at one time? You going to bother counting them are you? More people means bigger maps, so its not going to feel any different to playing it on console.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Numbers don't impress me, who cares how many people can play at one time? You going to bother counting them are you? More people means bigger maps, so its not going to feel any different to playing it on console.

They should do. More players (ignoring any of the technical issues here for a sec) adds far more to the experience. The issue comes when there are too many players for the supported map. Then in just becomes a spawn-die-spawn-die fest that's no fun for anyone.

Large scale maps when handled correctly are simply epic for a large number of players. Those lucky enough to have seen and played the 64-player BF2142 maps will no doubt have very fond memories of it. Squads of players attacking/defending the missile silos - the aircraft coming in to provide support. The vehicles - tanks and walkers especially providing the spearhead on the ground and then an all-out firefight on the decks of the Titans when the shields have been dropped.

I love small scale FPSs - Left 4 Dead 2 is one of my favourites. But ultimately, these are a off-shoot to what FPSs should be heading for in general. Bigger maps, more players, more options and more strategy. I want to attack Point A from any manner of routes - not be shoe-horned down one alleyway or through a cluster of crates and containers.

D.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
If your honest with yourself though Darren the way gaming is today would you want 64 people noob tubing allover the shop or 64 snipers. Cos that is what would happen. All games seem to get abused by the occasional fun gamers.

2.2 bar shed.
Planetside was a great game back in the day, loved it!

THIS all over, man i miss that game!

Have you seen the rumours of PS2?

Werner - VS - RisK - HoeBloggs. Found some pictures on my PC the other day of outfit wars. f**king awesome game.

Seen the rumors, hope to god its true. If it is I'll be on that like chlamydia to a *****.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If your honest with yourself though Darren the way gaming is today would you want 64 people noob tubing allover the shop or 64 snipers. Cos that is what would happen. All games seem to get abused by the occasional fun gamers.

True. But there are ways to stop that, or at least minimise the effects of players taking the 'easy option' all the time. Sniping should be a LOT harder than it actually is in many FPSs. And there shouldn't be any of this 3-round reload for your anti-tank launcher stuff. One tube and that's your lot.

Reward people for taking different character classes and promote their use towards the objective for the team. Points should be awarded for contributing to the team effort rather than focusing on the players' own achievement. Most FPS games these days have just desolved into Achievement Chasing and that in itself promotes crap like n00b tubing. Let's see - I get 5,000 points for killing 100 enemies with an RPG-7. A tank normally takes 3 hits to kill and a man takes 1 hit. Gee, which one am I going to actively go after to gain more achievements? I'll admit, I've done it myself. Switched to a s**tty weapon in BC2 simply because I was 5 kills off getting an extra 1,000 experience points. How can I be helping the team as a whole when I'm pissing about with sub-standard kit choices - all in the name of bumping up my own 'trophy cabinet'?

That culture as a whole needs to be addressed within FPSs imo. COD is cringe-worthingly bad for that. I've genuinely thought WTF at some of the online 'achievements' I've gained. There really is no need for the majority of them.

D.

DCi
64 player on BF2 was zzzzzzzz :rasp:

I used to like the dead small strike at karland with no vehicles, kind of defeated the point but was funny

Integra Type-R DC2
Some of the best BF maps had few vehicles. Made it more about team work than getting the best vehicle and commencing to rape everthing in sight.

DCi 100
This thread makes me miss BF2:MC on original xbox, the 360 version just wasn't the same! Bad company was useless in comparison ;(

RIP the best battefield again evar.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Yet console players will get a whopping 24 players!

This is where the PC shines. A war game should be hectic with 128 players it actually will be. With 24 it will be a bit s**t.

FLOL, i'm fairly sure COD and BF:BC did OK with their measly numbers!

We'll be just fine and if that MAG game is anything to go by i'd rather not 128 players.

Needlessly big imo.