ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Weather is epic :) thanks chaps!

e8umebap.jpg

I think its safe to say I also have the CS race car curse that is going around at the moment......

Half a lap in went to put it in fifth and the gears have ejected themselves from the box and sheared the metal gearbox mount the lot! For the half lap before I went for 5th the car felt epic! Lol

2anu5ehu.jpg

ba5usevu.jpg

yre3eda8.jpg

Doh

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good job you are a first lap hero James.
if you did warm up laps you wouldn't even know how it drove.

Gutted for you :(

Hope gripper compensate you in some manner as well as fixing their mistake.

Cup In bits
Not so good James. Hopefully its just your 5th gear circlip that's came off and you don't need 'another' rebuild.

Chase Racing Clio
Ahhh dude.... that is madness. Good job the cogs didn't fly in another direction and in to another car!

Just hope this curse doesn't spread to us, due to map ours in the next few weeks.

Clio172cup rally car
Proper gutted for you James! I feel your pain.Me and gearboxes don't mix either!! Hopefully it's not a too costly fix and gripper sort it for you!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this James, you've certainly been through the mill with your gearbox(s) I'm terrified of taking mine out now due to the pre season cs curse! Hope you get sorted out mate, be interesting to see what the fault is that's cause that damage anyway.
Russ

Thanks guys :) Well got the car back to base and done some stripping down and now have found the cause of the problem, It seems the new pinion shaft that was made over winter to replace the old one that was missing a tooth had a flaw in the material as the bit 5th gear bolts onto has just sheared clean off. I’ve watched the video and the second I take my foot of the clutch you hear a bang and lose drive. That was the first time 5th gear had been engaged on that shaft.

a6uqa9er.jpg

areredyd.jpg

rusy2yma.jpg

y9agy6az.jpg

y6edagem.jpg

Good job you are a first lap hero James.
if you did warm up laps you wouldn't even know how it drove.

Gutted for you

Hope gripper compensate you in some manner as well as fixing their mistake.
Haha no time to mess around warming tyres up ;)
Not so good James. Hopefully its just your 5th gear circlip that's came off and you don't need 'another' rebuild.
Didn’t even realise 5th gear has a circlip tbd Morgan but this dog box seems to be a totally different design to the normal JC5 gear set
Ahhh dude.... that is madness. Good job the cogs didn't fly in another direction and in to another car!

Just hope this curse doesn't spread to us, due to map ours in the next few weeks.
Yes i’m glad it didn’t hit my brake lines or it would have flown through them, the damage that one gear has done to the gearbox mounts, bolts and even dented the chassis leg... Mental!

Best of luck for the mapping
Sorry to hear this James, you've certainly been through the mill with your gearbox(s) I'm terrified of taking mine out now due to the pre season cs curse! Hope you get sorted out mate, be interesting to see what the fault is that's cause that damage anyway.
Russ
Since the end of 2012 thankfully the car has been perfect other than gearbox issues and I’ve certainly made up for it with those haha!

Cup In bits
Is that a dentist surgery you are working in? Looks very nice.

At least its a failure of theirs clearly and couldn't be attributed to wear and tare.

I was under the impression the standard 5th gear is held on with some type of circlip/snap ring? No?

Cup In bits
No mate it's a torq headed bolt for the gear on one shaft and a 27mm nut on the other.

So it is, I can picture it now. The nuts over a hollow shaft iirc. I have only had the covers off once.

Same sentiment stands though, I was hoping it was the securing device that had let go but it transpires its the whole shaft that's let go :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So it is, I can picture it now. The nuts over a hollow shaft iirc. I have only had the covers off once.

Same sentiment stands though, I was hoping it was the securing device that had let go but it transpires its the whole shaft that's let go :(
Yeah that's it mate. I've had one in bits tonight for synchros funnily enough! Lol!

Yeah it's certainly looking that way isn't it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Ooft. Proper job that. Sorry to see James.

I hope mine doesn't do the same, although mine is set up nowhere near as aggressively as yours I believe. Poor
show from Gripper though.

Is that a dentist surgery you are working in? Looks very nice.

At least its a failure of theirs clearly and couldn't be attributed to wear and tare.

I was under the impression the standard 5th gear is held on with some type of circlip/snap ring? No?
Haha no just a very nice garage one of my friends has kindly let me use now my house with garages has sold.

Yes exactly first time into the gear :( doh!

And this is all done by Gripper?
Yes mate it's the gripper box so they make everything other than the casing
Ooft. Proper job that. Sorry to see James.

I hope mine doesn't do the same, although mine is set up nowhere near as aggressively as yours I believe. Poor
show from Gripper though.
Yours won't mate, mine is the full straight cut dogbox where as yours still uses the Renault shaft :)
Mental how much damage it's done!!

Is that your garage? Looks very very nice.
Yes can't quite believe how bad it is!

No although I have have use of it thanks to one of my friends very kindly :) it's pretty epic

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unless there was a major defect, its been caused by something else locking first and putting an abnormal load on it.

I guess you will just have to wait and see what Gripper say.

Unless there was a major defect, its been caused by something else locking first and putting an abnormal load on it.

I guess you will just have to wait and see what Gripper say.
I’m still 100% its an issue with the shaft the rest of the box was and still is mint and its just 5th
We are not having much luck are we James. Bl00dy cars.
No we are not mate :( On a brighter note this means my engine is coming out of the car so if you get stuck for Rockingham you are welcome to borrow mine and we can just flash the map onto your ECU and away you go.

Ah, good thinking Batman.

Thanks for the offer James, I'll see how I ge on.
No worries let me know sooner rather than later if you are likely to need it as have a few tweaks I was planning for it so knowing our luck you would call me the day I pull it apart lol!
Bad luck mate, hate to see things like that.

Fingers crossed gripper will sort it for you.
Thanks mate,

Yes to be fair to Gripper they have been great from day 1, the crown wheel and pinion is a complete one off so they have to be made specially each time and Gripper sounded as gutted as I was to have the issue so fair play to them. It will get sorted out and in the meantime i’ve got stuff to be getting on with the car anyway so all is good :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Best you carry on then James, I'm on holiday for 2 weeks as of Monday, then that leaves me a week before the 1st race. I do have a spare standard engine sat in the workshop if all else fails.

Thanks.

Have been lacking motivation to pull the car apart again for the gearbox out but I'm heading up near Coventry this weekend so made sense to get the box out and take it upto gripper.

Getting really quick at taking it out now I think with a second pair of hands 30 mins is achievable!

u8ata9y2.jpg

zarutyna.jpg

Not sure what the plans are now really, the car is going down to Puremotorsport at some point soon for them to fit their new adjustable top mounts. After that I'm not sure as the gearbox will take at least 2 months to be fixed I think so probably will put a std gearbox in for a while along with another engine with the 421's in.

I'm getting a head done and going for a set of 423's for my current engine so that will go back in once the gearbox is done and after the road trip to Le Mans.

Just want to drive it really pretty fed up of looking at it every day and not using it.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Nice tiny little corner of the garage you mean, lol.

It's a shame James probably wont share pictures of the rest of it, its epic and its all his own work!

yep... its amazing garage and I LOVE it!

Thanks very much james for all your hard work building me my dream man cave!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thought it might have been yours Lee, when I saw the blue clio next to James.
What other toys do you have now ? have you chopped the 430 in for a 458 yet ?

Are these adjustable top mounts available yet?
Not yet, Nick is going to be test fitting them on mine and then they will be available so I guess around a month till they are available and will give LOTS of adjustment :)
Nice garage!
Haha yes its an amazing place to work in :) I’m very lucky Porkie lets me keep my shed of a car there!
yep... its amazing garage and I LOVE it!

Thanks very much james for all your hard work building me my dream man cave!
Haha a pleasure as ever :) Its pretty cool lol!