ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blackdiamond Predators vs EBC Yellow stuff

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
As above I'm looking at gettin 1 or the other.

What do people recommend?

Not ds2500!!

I have the Blackdiamond Predators on mine and I think they are good.
They take a little while to warm up when you first use the brakes but the stopping power I find is much better than standard pads and they bite better. I managed to find them Cheapest from DemonTweeks on Ebay for £54 delivered.
I done two sessions at FCS and they done well there and I used them quite hard.

I reckon DS2500's would be better than them, but for £54 you can't really complain.

Cannot comment on Yellowstuff as I have never tried them.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I've only had them on since April mate, but they still have plenty of life left in them by the looks of it.
I needed new pads anyway so I thought i'd try them out and they are pretty good for the price.

ITB'd MK1
EBC pads in general crumble and fall apart, and offer poor braking to start with. I feel unsafe in a car if i know it has EBC pads fitted

ITB'd MK1
they're a chavvy branded "upgrade" you'll be better off with well maintained calipers and brand new standard everything. If you want better pads go for Mintex 1144, perfect balance or quality and price for fast road use. I'm looking at prices of Pagid disks at the moment, although as long as disks are of a decent quality (ie not too soft) then it makes little difference which you use. I have ATE disks on my own car. OE quality.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
G172 on here is selling Mintex 1144 Pads for 172/182 for £66 posted, i'd be tempted to give them a go if it was only for road use.

Seat Ibiza
Alot of people on here have had bad experience of EBC, sounds like their made of toffee!

I'll be in the market soon for front discs and pads, think i'll be getting Bembro HC's and either Mintex 1144 or DS2500.

Reading quite a few threads, this seems to be the setup. Tried and tested mate, thats what you want!! And the above seem to come out on top with the boys in the know!!

182cup & 172 racecar
M1144 are fine for the road,I have them in my daily no problem.Will let you down after a few laps on a track day though.

We run EBC yellows in the race car this year and they have been great.

182cup & 172 racecar
Not a clue mate,the car has done two races,two test days and a track day.All in all about 5 hrs,so no comparison to day to day running.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Thats because they cost about £200.00

Yes, but Pagids, and Carbotech, and some of the PF compounds which are all around this sort of money, tend to outlast cheaper performance pads 10-1.
So although it sounds a lot of money up front, they actually work out a lot cheaper in the long run.

I tried allsorts on the front of our racer, EBCs, Mintex, nearly all the wilwood compounds, best I had was pads lasting 1.5 events with Wilwoods endurance racing compound, but they ate a set of discs every other event instead.
Switched to Carbotech XP8's, which were twice the price up front, they've now done 12 events, only half worn so far, and they haven't worn the discs at all (literally nothing, can't even measure it).
With the added bonus that they're more powerful and more consistant to boot.

Sometimes it's worth paying the extra up front.

EBC discs are not good. Stick with good quality OEM discs.

However EBC Yellowstuff are fine and great for the money IMO. They are better than 1144 for two reasons; they don't fade at moderate track pace like 1144 and don't dust much which is great for road use. With the Yellows they can be used on the road or track if you ever did in the future (or just very hard road use).

PF, Pagid and Carbotech are all 3/4x times price, they are obviously better pads but they're not 4x better braking (nothing can be really hehe) but IME Yellowstuff last a decent lenght of time and for what you're asking sound like the ones to use (IMO).

LEXUS LS400
Project Mu Type NS pads were the best I have had on any car (Nissan 200SX), but I don't think they do Clio fitment... would get them in a heartbeat if they did.

[/pointless post]

406 V6, Race Buggy
EBC discs are not good. Stick with good quality OEM discs.

However EBC Yellowstuff are fine and great for the money IMO. They are better than 1144 for two reasons; they don't fade at moderate track pace like 1144 and don't dust much which is great for road use. With the Yellows they can be used on the road or track if you ever did in the future (or just very hard road use).

PF, Pagid and Carbotech are all 3/4x times price, they are obviously better pads but they're not 4x better braking (nothing can be really hehe) but IME Yellowstuff last a decent lenght of time and for what you're asking sound like the ones to use (IMO).

The newer Bluestuff NDX are an even better proposition if you're on a budget.