ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody knocking!!

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Getting seriously annoyed bow I've spend over 1500 quid on my clio for it to feel crap basically.. Been reading through the forums doing everything I can bought blisterien coilovers ment to be good everything's polybushed all new mounts arms joints literally everything and the car makes horrible knocking noises over bumps it's terrible. 3 different garages and no one can find the problem. Cars been a pain in the arse I love it when it's working but it passes me off so much I Just dont drive it atm. Anyone around Kent who knows these cars well I can take it too?

BG182
im in the same situation, renewed all parts apart from my springs and it still knocks like fook, now i used the 'new' top mount for standard shocks and its worse than before, is annoying..

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Here's the list
New top mounts and top washer mod
Blisterien b14 coilovers
Fully poly bushed
New lower arms and ball joints
Track rod ends
New discs and pads
Vibra technics mounts
The calipers rattled but I sorted that still no difference running out of ideas

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Boom boom boom let me hear you say wayyyo.

Bilstein* for future reference. Not blisterein, this stuff is for rotten feet.

Knocks and bangs are the worst to cure mate. Looks like you have gone to the extremes so maybe it has been overlooked changing everything at once.

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Haha my phone keeps changing it to bloody blisterien my apologies!. I've done everything separately because I actually want to know what's causing it. The only way can explain it is a loose sounding almost rattly sound when going over bumps mainly on the drivers side. Having abit of a nightmare trying to get the exhaust not to rattle Aswell atm but I'm putting that down to the new but crap rear exhaust mount. Ordered a poly bush one I can't belive how bad the standard design is haha

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Forgot I've also done polybush steering rack bushes and inner tie rods so it's not them either! Had the rack throughly checked Aswell I was told it looked fairly new

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Yeah I had the whole system off recently and checked everything, the exhaust is rattling but it definitely sound like the front wheel area

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Exhaust downpipe knocking on subframe? Try undoing the engine mount, move engine and tighten back up.
Also worth looking at the dog bone mount.

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Will try that with the engine mount mate. Another thing I forgot the dog bones new purple polybush one

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
How does the dogbone contribute to knocking? I have a similar issue and not changed mine yet. Had the car in 1st at garage and the engine moved/knocked when the clutch was lifted to biting point. I get a rhythmic tap tap tap and a squeak outside and am sure a rubbing/grinding noise.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If the dogbone bushes are old/worn they will allow the engine/gearbox to 'rock' more than normal when under load (ie changing gear or coming on/off power etc), if the bushes are worn badly enough this extra movement can cause the exhaust manifold to knock against the front sunframe giving you an annoying tapping/grinding noise.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
You will be amazed by how the sounds of a exhaust knocking go around the car and makes you think it's something more sinister.