ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bodywork repair amongst other bits - Advice please

BG DCI
Went and looked at a ph2 172 locally today and it was actually quite mechanically well looked after. General body work had a few nicks but the main issue was a scrape down one side...

egaty4am.jpg

eru6a9at.jpg

ujubajes.jpg

Its a post that the previous owner reversed along so its from the top near the window down along the will cover..

What are peoples thoughts on repairing this and cost...

My only other question is: Is it possible for a car not to start because of a fuse blowing as this is apparently what HAD stopped it starting recently?

Thanks a lot

Liam

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That repair will set you back at least £300 but more like double that for a decent job. Some places would probably replace the 1/4 although a flatline type device would see that good. Just get a replacement door. Fix the 1/4 and blend into the door

@gally is the man to advice I understand

A car of course can not start because of a fuse but the question you have to ask is why is the fuse blowing in the first place.

Sounds like it's potentially got a couple of problems. I wouldn't pay more than £300-£400.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'm guessing there's a reason that's not been put through insurance... Damage to rear 1/4 and the door as well IMO would have been written off.

BG DCI
Insurance would write that off, no hesitation at all.

My guess in this case is that the damage has been done more recently by the current owner and now they are looking to shift it on?

Or

They got a price to get it repaired when they bought it and it was too much £££?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry, could have given my insurance knowledge a go.

If it's been done recently, HPI takes quite a while to update. MIAFTR is instant though so you'll need to get that checked to make sure it's not had the marker (likely cat C) put on and the selling is taking advantage of the HPI delay. That's if they've claimed and retained.

If they haven't claimed then they may well be selling because with the settlement they will have the excess and remaining premiums (if paid monthly) deducted from the settlement. Often that leaves people with nothing and it's more advantageous for a "no claim" situation. I once wrote off someones car and after the deduction they were left with £4.

Clio 172 Flamer
What price are they looking to sell that at?

I would personally walk away and bide my time to find a cleaner one. I bought my last car with intentions of tidying the body up as it was mechanically sound, never got round to it and everytime I cleaned it, it really didn't do anything for me.. with a few problems already before you have even started owning it, I wouldn't say it was worth it.

That is just my opinion, on the other foot, you could get it for cheap, fix the couple of problems and have a decent car for less money.

BG DCI

I would personally walk away and bide my time to find a cleaner one. I bought my last car with intentions of tidying the body up as it was mechanically sound, never got round to it and everytime I cleaned it, it really didn't do anything for me.. with a few problems already before you have even started owning it, I wouldn't say it was worth it.

That is just my opinion, on the other foot, you could get it for cheap, fix the couple of problems and have a decent car for less money.

Well, getting it cheap was the idea. To then fix the body work and have as a nice daily as apart from that prang its actual a very sound car. But once I went to view I could see the damage was alot worse than the 1 picture showed which is a shame.

Im not fully looking for a new daily, just always have my eye out and this was in walking distance from where I live..

BG DCI

And I think you could drive it away for £500-£550 and they have an MOT which it failed on showing just the headlight washers jets not working being the only thing needing doing...

So potentially for around £600 you could have a running 172 daily but with some bad bodywork damage...

Clio 172 Flamer
It's really luck of the draw a lot of the time. I went to see a black gold 172 a week before I got my flamer, the guy seemed really keen to get rid of it and and said it was mine for 900 and nothing was wrong with it, coilover suspension, speedline turini alloys and carbon splitter, so that alone would be close to that new. To cut a long story short, it seemed too good to be true, then he text me when he was on his way saying the gearbox had gone and I could have it for 700.. didn't buy it and then it turned out it was a jammed drive shaft or something which cost 80 to repair, few days later he wanted 1500 for it.

It is an easy fix by the looks of it, providing you get it professionally done

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Waste of money doing anything with that when you can get decent straight ones for silly money now.