ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boosted 1*2s chaps - what rad do you have?

As above. What rad did you go for? and has it been enough to keep the temps down?

Currently have a Direnza VW Golf rad with my ITBs and am just researching if it'll be any good to cope with the addition of a snail.

Cheers

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I converted mine to the ED low boost kit back in December, and for the three short weeks it was on the road it only ever overheated due to a faulty pattern part bottle cap. Once i changed that for a genuine Renault item the temps on the gauge seemed to stay fairly normal. Obviously i'm putting a fair amount of trust in the original dashboard gauge, but i didn't have any boiling or anything. That's with a standard Euro Car Parts replacement radiator too.

Like I say I only had it on the road for a short while due to clutch woes, so i'm not sure how much help all that was ?

I guess it depends if you were giving it hell in summer or pottering around in icy cool temps haha!

EDIT just seen you said december, so it's obviously been f*cking freezing ever since then.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I guess it depends if you were giving it hell in summer or pottering around in icy cool temps haha!

EDIT just seen you said december, so it's obviously been f*cking freezing ever since then.

It would have been last week and a half of November, first week and a half of December so yeah temps were already low. I have no idea about the warmer months or track time unfortunately, I haven't made it that far yet as it's still off the road!

I've got a Direnza VW Golf one fitted, which I thought would be ok, but the core volume doesn't seeem to be enough.

How many track days do you do @Sheen90 ? My car is primarily a track car, so only gets used hard, and very often in summer.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That golf rad won’t cut it @Martin.

If you were to have a custom made rad in the same dimensions with a wrc spec core, it’ll work well enough. You’d need to duct air through it though like I did on mine. Gets maximum efficiency.

That golf rad won’t cut it @Martin.

If you were to have a custom made rad in the same dimensions with a wrc spec core, it’ll work well enough. You’d need to duct air through it though like I did on mine. Gets maximum efficiency.

You've just confirmed what I secretely knew deep inside haha, but was hoping there was a glimmer of hope.

Having one made with a WRC core sounds eye wateringly expensive.

Have been looking at the Direnza equivalent for the Clio fittment. The core size is 1.8 times the standard rad core. And it looks like it's 1.5 times the size of the VW rad I've got currently. Which is a considerable amount.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You've just confirmed what I secretely knew deep inside haha, but was hoping there was a glimmer of hope.

Having one made with a WRC core sounds eye wateringly expensive.

Have been looking at the Direnza equivalent for the Clio fittment. The core size is 1.8 times the standard rad core. And it looks like it's 1.5 times the size of the VW rad I've got currently. Which is a considerable amount.

Well my 230 n/a motor was kept cool by the same rad that you’ve got, but it was definitely being pushed to cool it when you were making progress. The laminova coolers I had for the engine and gear oil wouldn’t have helped as they add more heat into the system, but it was being pushed.

Well my 230 n/a motor was kept cool by the same rad that you’ve got, but it was definitely being pushed to cool it when you were making progress. The laminova coolers I had for the engine and gear oil wouldn’t have helped as they add more heat into the system, but it was being pushed.

I'm surprised it managed to keep that cool to be honest. Especaially with the two laminovas!

Heard of a few people with standard rads and low boost without issues.

But 90% of my mileage will be done on a track.

dan's cast offs.
Thinking about it mate of mine has just put a vag turbo engine and box in his shitroen h van and I gave him a Clio rad and fan to use on it, he's been running that without issue.

That's a van used on the road though right @bloke ?

I have no doubts road driving would be fine. It's the heavy track use in Summer which is the unknown. I've done around 35 trackdays with my current setup on ITBs without issue, but being boosted the temps would obviously be higher.

dan's cast offs.
That's a van used on the road though right

Probably about twice the weight of a Clio and as aerodynamic as a brick so that's probably as good a test of it's cooling capabilities as a session on track?

For how good the system is as standard it should cope anyway.