ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a New camera

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
A few of you might remember me on about getting one,

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190300

Well I've just bought a Panasonic FZ50, well. I gotta say first impressions are not so impressive.
The Images ive taken so far have been generally noisy and not very clear. I'll put some high res ones on if you want to have a look.
I have been quite impressed with the camera tracking a moving target. Went to her work (she's a Riding instructor) and took a few action shots, but even with high iso settings it was noisy and slightly blurred. Low iso was more blurry.
Tried some macro shots close up, but look good until you look at the picture on full resolution and its really not clear at all.

Could anyone else with an Fz50 put some high res pics up too?
I'll play with it a bit more, but i've gotta say i'm quite tempted to send it back and get something else, maybe stretch to A eos 400d or nikon d50 / 40

I'll put some pics up when they finish uploading

Oh and ps I got it from amazon in the end

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Some sample high res pictures:

(56k definate no no!)

th_P1000177.gif
th_P1000178.gif
th_P1000179.gif

th_P1000160.gif
th_P1000159.gif
th_P1000157.gif

th_P1000189.gif
th_P1000193.gif
th_P1000259.gif

th_P1000255.gif
th_P1000208.gif
th_P1000201.gif

th_P1000200.gif
th_P1000194.gif
th_P1000044.gif

th_P1000277.gif
th_P1000275.gif
th_P1000271.gif

th_P1000270.gif
th_P1000267.gif
th_P1000266.gif

th_P1000264.gif

And after all that, photo bucket has changed the sizes, and no longer high res :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
That's the camera I'm planning on buying. I had read that for indoor shots involving fast moving people etc that the FZ50 was not good, a DSLR is the only real answer for those shots.

I have seen many good example pics from this camera so maybe you just need more time using it? Have you asked any questions on dpreview forum?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

ff 182
what ISO you shoting in ? if it's all in auto you might have to bring the ISO manualy to 100..200 may be more if shoting inside with poor light .the out side shots look ok ,try bumping image quality up..just experiment with it

D

dick

im thinking of getting the fz50 too however the noise issue slowed me down

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
That's the camera I'm planning on buying. I had read that for indoor shots involving fast moving people etc that the FZ50 was not good, a DSLR is the only real answer for those shots.

I have seen many good example pics from this camera so maybe you just need more time using it? Have you asked any questions on dpreview forum?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

Thanks for the link, i've looked on there, but didnt realise there was a forum too!!!
Wish I knew that before!

what ISO you shoting in ? if it's all in auto you might have to bring the ISO manualy to 100..200 may be more if shoting inside with poor light .the out side shots look ok ,try bumping image quality up..just experiment with it

Ive tried just about all the Iso settings, from 100 to 3200, and having a low iso and long shutter speed, still noisy.

after seeing those, its scrubbed off the list

Dont let me put you off too much, I've only had it just over a day!

But its not very impressive spending almost 400 quid on a camera that cant take particularly good photo's inside!
Anyone know what amazon's like on taking back camera's? I know theres a 7 day cooling off period. Might consider a D50 / 40 TBH

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
Are those straight off the camera or have you resized them to 800x600? Have you taken any pictures in proper daylight or have they all been inside/at night?

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
They should have been full res, but for some reason, even though I clicked on do not resize, photobucked has decreased the size, so you cant really actually tell how bad they are!
I've been out and taken some pics in the light, and they are, ok, but not quite what I was hoping for.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
^ Are you the guy who was on about getting one, as you'd used your dads one?
Where did you get it from and how much was it in the end if you dont mind me asking?

Abarth Grande Punto
Yep thats me, I dont have one yet but have used my dad's one quite a bit. he got his from Bluewater. He bought the kit which includes the 2nd zoom lense. I think he paid about £700. I think you can get this for about 650 if you search!

D

dick

i wanna know how much noise in comparison with a standard point and shooty type thing :/

D

dick

oo woah thanks, wasnt askin any1to do that, but thanks a lot
swinging me back to it. the idea of having a 12x zoom gets me going!

only coming from a 3mp fuji p+s gotta be better than that

would generally only be using on nice days up in snowy mountains or sunny days photing cars
and seeing some results that can be achieved with the 50 seems good.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Gotta say though, the zoom is pretty awesome, and not having to carry around a load of lenses etc

Mazda MX5 1.8
gotta say those pics look very disapointing from such an expensive camera!

i got a panasonic fz7 for xmas (much cheaper) and even though i havent taken many pics yet they do seem very sharp. obviously the ones uve posted were scaled down by photobucket but they all seem pretty bad

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
oo woah thanks, wasnt askin any1to do that, but thanks a lot
swinging me back to it. the idea of having a 12x zoom gets me going!

only coming from a 3mp fuji p+s gotta be better than that

would generally only be using on nice days up in snowy mountains or sunny days photing cars
and seeing some results that can be achieved with the 50 seems good.

I'd already done them for my own comparrison anyway lol.
The Ski pic looks pretty sharp, but again, i'd like to see it on full res. And its pretty sunny too!

Chris, could you possibly post up a couple of indoor/ outdoor pics as a sample please?

:star:

Mazda MX5 1.8
heres just a couple of close up shots ive done around the house

dont have any outside ones at the mo.......
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/ckweston/P1000101.jpg - cool picture hung on our wall
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/ckweston/P1000105.jpg - full 12x zoom from the other end of the room (not a massive clock)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/ckweston/P1000111.jpg - taken at iso100... forgot to set it to auto..... pretty much at its focus limits
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/ckweston/P1000083.jpg - odd cats toy

No offence, and havent read any of the above posts but the images are in pretty low light, and for the sensor that the Panasonics use you should be expecting noise like that. Go DSLR for better noise control, you could also use faster glass too.

M

mij29

These are with my FZ 30 Picture 028 (Small).jpg

Picture 091 (Small).jpg

Picture 073 (Small).jpg

Picture 288 (Medium).jpg

Picture 267 (Medium).jpg

These are not high res, you should be gettin pic better than this with an fz 50. I should be gettin pics better than this with my fz 30!

Rally bus
I had read that for indoor shots involving fast moving people etc that the FZ50 was not good, a DSLR is the only real answer for those shots.

Assuming you have a appropriate lens on the DSLR... I found I got better shots at gigs with my Olympus compact camera that with a Nikon D70 with the standard 18-70 lens on.

The Fuji F20/30 models are supposed to be very good in low light:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=fuji_finepixf20&opinion=33304

Citroen DS3 DSport
Noise is unfortunately a side-effect of the Megapixel marketing race. 8MP+ on such small sensors are always going to struggle with noise, and the ones that don't seem so bad are often processed in-camera at the expense of overall sharpness.

Sadly most manufacturers won't "go back" to 6MPs or so because it's a marketing risk, but the current increases can't be sustained (although Nikon have gone for 6MP for the D40 SLR and the pic quality is superb, so maybe things are changing already).

Saying that the FZ50 isn't a bad camera by any means, you just need to experiment and practice to get the most out of it, samples from the FZ7/20/30 won't really help as they don't have the megapixel squeeze to such an extent.

If your shooting low light I think a DSLR is probably the best route, using the right gear of course. Saying that I'm sure the f50 is capable, just takes practice.. although if you do send it back:

I'd suggest this as a great starter kit.
Canon 350D/400D, kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, Jessops extension Tubes + 430EX flash.
Est. Cost for it all depending on where you shop = £650-£780
Then you may want to consider a zoom in the near future in the 70-200mm, 70-300mm or 55-200 range, will cost anything from £80 - £1200.

Another option is (not quite as good but maybe cheaper):
Canon 350D/400D (body only) and a single super zoom lens like an 18-200mm (although you tend lose quality with single lens setups), extension tubes + 430EX flash.

Of course don't rule out going the Nikon route..

I've got a vast store of links to decent ebay stores etc. if you do go down this route, just ask...

Last edited:
D

dick

canon or nikon should do a TV advert and explain that the megapixel race is f**king bullshit and not the way to choose a camera.

that would solve the b*****d problem and allow them to make more suitable cameras 4 everone