ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brabus...

Turbos.
Yeah b**ches!

I've had a new Smart for about a year now. I thought having 70bhp it would be plenty fast because of it's low weight, but it's gutless up hills and on the motorway. Thing is, i still wanted a small car as parking at work is a nightmare, and i'm often driving into London.

So, the Brabus Smart kind of chose itself. I thought i'd go for a test drive but there were only two for sale in the country, one in Scotland and one in Dorset! I didn't really want to spend £17k on a Smart car without test driving, but in the end bought it over the phone last Friday and headed off with the old man this morning.

P1070750.jpg

My dad loves the Vanny, but it's gearbox is starting to annoy me! We got stuck it loads of half-term traffic which just exacerbates the issue with the robotised manual.

We arrived safely in sunny Poole 2.5 hours later (passing KTec in Ferndown on the way!)

P1070752.jpg

I had a nose round the Smart and took some photos.

P1070753.jpg

I love looking at all the brand new bits, almost a shame to use it!

P1070762.jpg

P1070764.jpg

P1070758.jpg

P1070759.jpg

P1070757.jpg

P1070755.jpg

Got Dish?

P1070756.jpg

P1070760.jpg

Before heading hope, we popped to the harbour and ate opposite the Sunseeker boatyard. Maybe my next purchase!

P1070766.jpg

P1070767.jpg

Took 4 hours to get home thanks to some c-unit having a crash. A couple of comparison shots with the 'old' one...

P1070768.jpg

Check out the rear camber!

P1070769.jpg

And for everyone who's thinking WHY THE FCUK HAVE YOU BOUGHT THAT, this is for you...

P1070770.jpg

I appreciate they aren't for everyone, and must admit, when i first saw them i thought LOLerskate, but it performs a specific role that no other car can do. The icing on the cake is that the Brabus suspension improves the handling and ride, which is a godsend. Even with running it in, the turbo means it doesn't have to be worked hard to make progress. It's a monster.

Watch our RenaultSports... imma coming.

Can't think of too many cars I'd like to drive less than a smart car but if it fits your purpose and you're happy with it then all is good.

How fast are the wee brabus beasts anyway?

EDIT: As Tom says, wheels are mint!

Last edited:
  Turbos.
It has 84bhp and weighs about 740kg, so it's nippy enough! It also has 225 section rear tyres, so there ain't gonna be a single cnut beating me off the lights...

Turbos.
Wait a minute, it has 98bhp!

You mean the low-slung one? Nah, you can't park them sideways in a parking bay, so don't see the point in them.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Always quite liked these actually! 17k is a bit painfull thought for a slightly oversized shoe ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You spent 17k on a smart? A smart?A SMART??
Your car choices have previously been epic. I'm literally gobsmacked.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
How different does it feel with the extra power?

Doesn't sound much more, 70 to 98bhp, but suppose 40% sounds a fair chunk.

Big depriciation at that price?

Roadster Coupe
Im not fussed on smart cars, roadsters are better but I actually like that. Interior is nice, alot better than my mank, out of date 182 lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
And you've criticised the astons gearchange. The smart I drove had the worst change in history.
Click paddle.
Wait
Wait
Wait
Gear
Repeat at will.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
A Brabus Smart was my very first car in 2001! The interiors have certainly been improved since then! Hope the auto has also! Worst part of the car for me.

Being 17, I did what came natural; fitted a dump valve and went round my local town centre changing gear whenever possible! lol.

Great fun and a groovy little car but 17k is a lot of till!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've gotta confess, I think they're pretty cool, only the more powerful version mind.

You talk about it performing a specific role, what exactly is that for you?

As 17k is a lot of money to spend so you can park in little spaces?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A Brabus Smart was my very first car in 2001! The interiors have certainly been improved since then! Hope the auto has also! Worst part of the car for me.

Being 17, I did what came natural; fitted a dump valve and went round my local town centre changing gear whenever possible! lol.

Great fun and a groovy little car but 17k is a lot of till!

Before that I'm assuming you were riding around on a gold framed bicycle, with diamond encrusted handlebars?

:rasp:

when i had my brc it was at the same time a fantastic car and the most awful car ever invented. when driving it you just had to smile until it came to changing gear then you may nod off oh and the servicing costs from merc were truly scary oh and the leaking lol

Last edited:
  Turbos.
I'm sorry Fubar, forgot to print of my list of members by postcode again...

That's more like it, some overnight abuse..lol. I am used to to gearchange, it takes a while so i just to change gear a bit earlier. They have improved it over the years though. we're talking fractions of a second.

At work we have 6 spaces for 15 people. In the Smart though, i can nick a space meant for motorcycles as it's so narrow and short. So if i didn't have it, i'd have to car share or walk! As mentioned, it's good for trip into London too.

Thing is, i still wanted a bit of luxury. How many small cars have leather, heated seats, sat nav and a decent stereo?

The Vanquish doesn't have a fuse 22 like the V8, so sadly not that simple. Next Tuesday it's having a Works service done where they are going to fit a bypass switch!

Poole was lovely James...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
My sister has a 2010 passion with that headunit, you can get this mint iphone app for it.

Turbos.
when i had my brc it was at the same time a fantastic car and the most awful car ever invented. when driving it you just had to smile until it came to changing gear then you may nod off oh and the servicing costs from merc were truly scary oh and the leaking lol

Strange, have left the last two outside (old and new shape) and they never leaked... must be the Roadster only.

330ci sport
Missus had one of these for 12 months, well, was the old shape. The nw shape looks a lot more refined inside!

Keep an eye on the alloys, the laquer used to be very thin and they look like the same style wheels. We got 2 replaced by Mercedes as the laquer started flaking on the spoke edges after about 6 months.

Had some fun in it, got an award as well in the Smart Festival at the Mercedes HQ, Weighbridge. http://www.thesmartfestival.com/

Black Clio GT
stunning little motor, i nearly bought a passion mhd before i bit the bullet and just paid bik tax, i really wanted the brabus one but at 10k for a 3 year old one or 9k for a brand new mhd.... glad you like it and the interior looks a lot better packaged now!!!