ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake upgrades for 1.2 16v?

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
so after a drive in the lake district and having the brakes fade on me am now looking for a upgrade i have seen ktec do a big brake upgrade but its realy just bigger disk's with a extender for standard calipers, what can be done instead of this option iv heard the 1.2 16v brakes are the williams ones not too sure so basicaly what can i do looking into maybe willwoods with bigger disks. how much is involved to get them to fit???

ps im running 182 alloys so fitting them in isnt a worry thanks

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Re: brake upgrades for 1.2 16v??????

what size discs do you have now?

I thougt the 1.4 & 1.6 16v had the williams brakes.

259 vented.

If you have smaller than that, these are your first bet.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

You know the 1.2 brakes are massively over-rated for the car, just get some decent pads. Brembo oem pads should alright on a 1.2 thats not seeing a track, i couldnt get them to fade on the road on my 172.

Feredo premier pads from halfords and normal fresh halfords 4dot brake fluid and i was happy with my stopping power on the 1.2.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bled/refreshed the fluid at any point in the last 100,000 miles ?!

You might have a sticky caliper which is slowly warming the system up.

Check all possibilities before you go spending a fortune on 'track' parts only to find they're written off in a weeks time as there's an underlying problem.

PS: Willwoods on a 1.2 ? ROFFLE !!!!

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
thanks fellas just had a proper look at the brakes as i havent touched them since buying the car disks seem ok so do pads but digging deeper the look like cheap ebay specials so off there coming and think ill go for brembro disks with the ferodo pads and full drain and fresh fluid for now see how i get on with that.
car will be seeing track days next year as its getting a engine conversion only to a tce but trying to invest for the future if that makes sense

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
i got fade when going fast not 1 for supermarket trips tbh lol, but seeing as i can get the brakes to fade on the road i deffo dont want to track it as they will definatly fade on there.

Clio 1.2 8v M2
Funnily enough 1.2 Clios are actually great fun on twisty country roads.. and after 5 minutes or so of REALLY pushing it (not advised) on standard brakes, they will Fade, in fact they will completely stop working without warning. I have experienced this, not pleasant.. I might go for K-Tecs fast road kit.. Cant believe they sell a 4 pot kit for the 1.2s though haha. Who would buy those?.. Must be a Clio 1.2 endurance cup somewhere that i dont know about.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no point spending the cash on ds2500 on a 1.2, speak to G172 on here he will sort you out with Mintex fast road pads at half the price of the Feroddos and Brembo HC discs along with superblue brake fluid, ive just fitted this combo onto my 172 along with braided lines and they are night and day better than my clio 200 brembos!!!

Clio II 1.2 16V
I've got a 1.2 16V now with the 259 Vennted old valver set-up. I've also owned a fair few R19 16V with the same setup, and only once on the R19 have I had brake fade in 5 mins of giving it some. You got some brake issue, as pointed out - s**t pads/fluid or, your tyres are that pants, you got to keep slowing down way to much.