ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BrandsHatch SuperTouring

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The 2000 Honda Touring Car was out in full effect at brands hatch this weekend.
History
Originally raced by Tom Kristensen in the 2000 British Touring Car Championship, winning at Oulton Park and twice at Silverstone. The double victory at Silverstone means this car holds the distinction of having won the last ever BTCC races run under Super Touring regulations.

The following year the car was driven by Fabrice Walfisch in the 2001 FIA European Super Touring Championship, taking one victory at the Nurburgring.

One of two cars (with FT-EI-99-05) owned by Tomas Engström in 2002. It is not know which of the two cars Engström drove in the Swedish Touring Car Championship, although it was probably this car.

Both cars were purchased by Markus Kölliker in winter 2002, with this car being driven by Marco Calderari in the 2003 Schweizer Tourenwagen Meisterschaft.

Later bought to Patrick Golliard, and then in 2008 sold to Milos Asanovic for use in the Serbian Touring Car Championship, replacing FT-EI-99-05 he had crashed earlier in the year.

In 2013 the car was purchased by Alex Heavens and brought back to the UK. Sold on to Stewart Whyte at the end of the year and rebuilt ready for the 2014 HSCC series.

IMG_4751.jpg
D357BA37-B344-4039-B15D-902DE8466AE8.JPG
C45D35D7-E31F-4033-9560-33BAC281DC55.JPG
34610220-2F66-4B7B-AA6D-133FC6D1F206.JPG
408A923A-64BD-47D3-896B-84A98A38F8E0.JPG
50F20EA8-9565-42A4-A524-12BF6CC357A3.JPG
6CFA3A33-26A5-4E3A-87A7-F2CBB9581D14.JPG
B52F7C33-5053-428C-8272-994A7D65A1AB.JPG
CDAFE2D4-7524-4326-B3C7-3D86DED378B2.JPG

I was lucky to be there all weekend supporting a driver in another series, it was an unbelievable weekend!!

So good to see these super tourers back out racing…. that sound!! 😍😍

was this event a one off or will there be another, looks epic
The super tourers will race again at Croft next month with the Classic Touring Car Club however it won’t be a big event like this occasion and likely fewer cars out.

Hopefully it will take place again next year, plenty of current and ex touring cars were also on display and took part in demo laps, it was pretty epic seeing Ash Sutton in the current Napa Focus come round Paddock Hill Bend with Alain Menu in the iconic Renault Laguna!

IMG_9703.jpeg

IMG_9704.jpeg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to see what drivers like Ash Sutton would think of being behind the wheel of a Super Tourer.

20+ years of tech difference is massive in motorsport, but I wonder if the older car(s) would feel more 'analogue' to a capable driver?

hazzamondo

ClioSport Club Member
  986 boxster
I was there on the Sunday, so good to see the cars on tack again.

It’s shame so few actually race.
I understand the cost of the cars and spares outweigh the reward of actually being used.

I'd like to see what drivers like Ash Sutton would think of being behind the wheel of a Super Tourer.

20+ years of tech difference is massive in motorsport, but I wonder if the older car(s) would feel more 'analogue' to a capable driver?

Jake Hill would certainly be able to answer that question as he raced a Primera at the weekend and won all 4 races.

I was there on the Sunday, so good to see the cars on tack again.

It’s shame so few actually race.
I understand the cost of the cars and spares outweigh the reward of actually being used.

Yes I bet the running costs are eye watering to privately own now, like you say great to see them being used rather than stuck in a garage or car collection. I actually thought 20+ cars was a good turn out and hopefully in the future the event will grow and more owners will get the cars back out.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Jake Hill would certainly be able to answer that question as he raced a Primera at the weekend and won all 4 races.

That's what happens when you are at the top of your game in BTCC and also living 10mins from the track that he is an instructor at.
Mr Hill has done 1000s of laps of the track and is a Pro BTCC driver.

I know what Stewart has spent on the car and what it roughly costs never mind the 1000s of hours that put into it.
The parts for these cars are very very rare and some of them don't even exist now.
JAS Motorsport built the engine and Fosstech built the car.

That's what happens when you are at the top of your game in BTCC and also living 10mins from the track that he is an instructor at.
Mr Hill has done 1000s of laps of the track and is a Pro BTCC driver.

I know what Stewart has spent on the car and what it roughly costs never mind the 1000s of hours that put into it.
The parts for these cars are very very rare and some of them don't even exist now.
JAS Motorsport built the engine and Fosstech built the car.
Stewart drove exceptionally well over the weekend and certainly gave Jake something to think about, must have been an epic lap in quali to take pole on the GP circuit, it was a pleasure to watch and thanks for an insight into the car.