ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Really hope you fix it and keep it Mark.

My favourite car on CS by a stretch and after all your efforts, it would be good if you could enjoy it for a while.

Saying that, it would make a nice addition to my collection lol.

I have been in this position alot with mine (whilst its soooo far from working). The thing is i was never really sure what i would replace it with, sounds like you are a step further than i ever was, really would be a shame to see it go, but sometimes we do have to move on.... wish i never sold the valver for the 172 tbh

If you sell it I shall be displeased.

Whats this Witchcraft I'm hearing....
Gents it's massively pissed me off tbh and it's caused me more grief than I can be bothered with, so this is why it's now a consideration. It was built to do one thing - set a fast laptime at the ring. And it failed. Miserably because it shat itself.

There's only one other person who knows what the level of distress/anguish/upset it caused me and that's James (@BIGASH) because he was there living it with me that weekend.

These things are meant to be a fun hobby, and after that weekend it's become far from fun.

There will also be no more jc5's built by myself for the foreseeable future.

Life for me is changing, so maybe it's time to change my hobby as well. All still up in the air atm. Just need to have a good think.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Next week it will all be fine and you'll be back in love with the stupid French box.

I do understand your grief mate but mechanical failures will happen. My RS4 engine s**t itself due to a core plug that came lose in the engine en-route to the ring, cost me £7k to buy a new engine, and thats not inc recovery (paid Lizard Logistics to collect that week due to a 2 week repatriation time limit). I just left my car at a Belgium VW dealership and cracked on with a hire car. I was totally f**ked off and felt like the world had ended. I still feel angry thinking about it now.
Suppose moral of the story is, these things do happen even to all makes of car.

However do understand your anger.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
It would be a shame I'd you sold it mate after all that hard work you've put in. But understandably it does take its toll. I wouldnt give up on your hobby though mate its what you enjoy.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Gents it's massively pissed me off tbh and it's caused me more grief than I can be bothered with, so this is why it's now a consideration. It was built to do one thing - set a fast laptime at the ring. And it failed. Miserably because it shat itself.

There's only one other person who knows what the level of distress/anguish/upset it caused me and that's James (@BIGASH) because he was there living it with me that weekend.

These things are meant to be a fun hobby, and after that weekend it's become far from fun.

There will also be no more jc5's built by myself for the foreseeable future.

Life for me is changing, so maybe it's time to change my hobby as well. All still up in the air atm. Just need to have a good think.

Totally understandable mate. Priorities change for us all in time. Be nice if you could get some pleasure out of it before it goes though.

Interested in what you think it is worth though, if you'd like to PM me?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I do understand your grief mate but mechanical failures will happen. My RS4 engine s**t itself due to a core plug that came lose in the engine en-route to the ring, cost me £7k to buy a new engine, and thats not inc recovery (paid Lizard Logistics to collect that week due to a 2 week repatriation time limit). I just left my car at a Belgium VW dealership and cracked on with a hire car. I was totally f**ked off and felt like the world had ended. I still feel angry thinking about it now.
Suppose moral of the story is, these things do happen even to all makes of car.

However do understand your anger.
Yeah I fully agree mate, mechanical failures do happen. What I can't get my head around and accept is this: why the f**k did it decide to pop the shaft out this time around? It's on stiffer suspension and I took the corner no differently to any other lap I've done. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I wouldn't say it's made me feel like the world has ended, it's just made me take a step back and rethink.

It would be a shame I'd you sold it mate after all that hard work you've put in. But understandably it does take its toll. I wouldnt give up on your hobby though mate its what you enjoy.
Yeah I agree mate, it would be a shame to get shut of it, but sometimes you've gotta move on. It's all up in the air though still atm mate - I've got decorating to sort before I even contemplate looking at the cup. And for the first time EVER, I'm actually enjoying doing it! Lol!

Totally understandable mate. Priorities change for us all in time. Be nice if you could get some pleasure out of it before it goes though.

Interested in what you think it is worth though, if you'd like to PM me?
If it goes mate, it'll be going in kit form as it's worth more in bits. As a guide though - I'd need to realise 10k from it to allow me to move on to pastures new.

Clio 172 (CUP)
As an older young dad I found out that....time will fly and you'll appreciate time for yourself.....tinkering to clear the mind and such........being a dad can be very stressfull.
I second this.
I'll have something else to tinker with though mate. It'll just have 2 wheels instead of 4...
I'd love to get a bike again, but that conversation (safety) happened when the second rugrat came along and well the bike was then consequently sold :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Gents it's massively pissed me off tbh and it's caused me more grief than I can be bothered with, so this is why it's now a consideration. There's only one other person who knows what the level of distress/anguish/upset it caused me and that's James (@BIGASH) because he was there living it with me that weekend. These things are meant to be a fun hobby, and after that weekend it's become far from fun.

Totally agree with where you are coming from - when anything stops becoming fun then move on. Everybody's scenarios are different, just do what you feel is best (not that you need me to tell you that)

Clio 172, Abarth 500
I became a father last year so re the whole baby coming along and taking possible time away etc. Honestly it doesn't change that much, you still can have time for your self. both me and my wife both have good amounts of time to ourselves. Of course there are up and downs but every baby is different and every parent reacts different, maybe I got lucky I don't know, but mine goes down at 6-7pm every night and boom we have an evening to do what we want.
Yea they wake up sometimes but that's why there are two of you. If one of you is busy or out then other one can attend to him/her. Actually getting time just the two of you (ie away from the baby) for a few hours is harder.

Lots of people think that when kids come along the life is over. Actually its the opposite. I have more time now and I value my own time even more. Whether its playing games, working on the 172 or spending time with the family. But believe me you do need a hobby! :) Hope that helps.

Clio 200
Hi mate, did you use a stock 60mm TB on this or is it ported at all?

Had my new motor mapped now and found to be showing some vacuum so potentially looking at a restriction on the inlet, I'd be surprised if TB and I need to ascertain how the vacuum was measured etc - but as I know you're also making good power on a 197 inlet and TB thought I'd ask what you're running!

Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi mate, did you use a stock 60mm TB on this or is it ported at all?

Had my new motor mapped now and found to be showing some vacuum so potentially looking at a restriction on the inlet, I'd be surprised if TB and I need to ascertain how the vacuum was measured etc - but as I know you're also making good power on a 197 inlet and TB thought I'd ask what you're running!

Cheers
Hello mate. It's running a standard throttle body. It wasn't found to be a restriction, so there was no need for the ported item.

Clio 200
Ah ok, I'll def need to quiz them a bit more about how they measured this then before I chuck more bits at it.
Cheers

Clio 200
Same 403's but it shares very little with the last engine really. They are just a stop cam gap before some big vvt delete cams and itb's, but just wondering if it could be why were seeing high egt's and again it's very knock sensitive with these mild cams and a high static cr. Hoping it potentially could ease a little both these issues, then it would just take the pressure off needing to buy the new cams asap tbh.

Sure made some numbers though :eek:penmouth: basically 224bhp and 195ftlb.
IMAG0732.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Same 403's but it shares very little with the last engine really. They are just a stop cam gap before some big vvt delete cams and itb's, but just wondering if it could be why were seeing high egt's and again it's very knock sensitive with these mild cams and a high static cr. Hoping it potentially could ease a little both these issues, then it would just take the pressure off needing to buy the new cams asap tbh.

Sure made some numbers though :eek:penmouth: basically 224bhp and 195ftlb.
IMAG0732.jpg
Well seeing as the maxi evo clios couldn't do better than 180lbft I'd definitely call your 195lbft into question. I wouldn't be surprised if the catcams aren't the cause of your problems tbh mate, as it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of them having incorrect timing marks and causing issues.

Just my opinion though based on how well the maxi spec stuff I've got works.

Clio 200
Yeah I was surprised (and sceptical in equal measure), but it's a fully built motor from Ashford and the head was done by Ilmor, it's most certainly not some parts bin engine. My last engine on these cams made 215bhp and 182ftlb, but this is the difference between essentially a purpose built race motor (once the last 2 things are upgraded). The mapping was by Ray West too so not like it's the same place selling numbers to me.
I'd be confident it would knock out 190ftlb anywhere tbh. And the next set of upgrades I don't expect to improve the torque figure it'll just improve cylinder filling and VE higher up the rev range, so I would envisage say 240bhp/190-195ftlb. Time will tell and I will as usual be going back to SRR for independent validation in due course, and I'm not saying 240 is the likely next fig, I just know I want at least 230bhp and I'm guaranteed to eclipse that so winning what ever happens :smile:

Clio 200
Also PMS low spec entry engine makes 185ftlb on a mk2 head, so 190+ on a likely better head based on a mk3 to begin with... is not at all unrealistic tbh.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I was surprised (and sceptical in equal measure), but it's a fully built motor from Ashford and the head was done by Ilmor, it's most certainly not some parts bin engine. My last engine on these cams made 215bhp and 182ftlb, but this is the difference between essentially a purpose built race motor (once the last 2 things are upgraded). The mapping was by Ray West too so not like it's the same place selling numbers to me.
I'd be confident it would knock out 190ftlb anywhere tbh. And the next set of upgrades I don't expect to improve the torque figure it'll just improve cylinder filling and VE higher up the rev range, so I would envisage say 240bhp/190-195ftlb. Time will tell and I will as usual be going back to SRR for independent validation in due course, and I'm not saying 240 is the likely next fig, I just know I want at least 230bhp and I'm guaranteed to eclipse that so winning what ever happens :smile:
So you've got another forged engine then? Or are you running oem pistons? I know of Ray West. Met him at the Nurburgring one year when I was there as he was staying in the same hotel as me!

Lol you'll need over 230hp to get the heavy 200 moving! Wasn't an issue in my lightweight cup.

Clio 200
So you've got another forged engine then? Or are you running oem pistons? I know of Ray West. Met him at the Nurburgring one year when I was there as he was staying in the same hotel as me!

Lol you'll need over 230hp to get the heavy 200 moving! Wasn't an issue in my lightweight cup.

Oh yeah another forged motor mate indeed, it's an epic spec really which is just cams and itb's away from some serious grunt. The close box it has means it's already quick to be fair, does 135mph in 6th flat :)

200's need boost lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to ruin a 200 which is one of - if not the last decent N/A hatch made, then yes you could boost it ;) Just not my thing though at all. Serious N/A junkie here I'm afraid.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oh yeah another forged motor mate indeed, it's an epic spec really which is just cams and itb's away from some serious grunt. The close box it has means it's already quick to be fair, does 135mph in 6th flat :smile:

If you want to ruin a 200 which is one of - if not the last decent N/A hatch made, then yes you could boost it :wink: Just not my thing though at all. Serious N/A junkie here I'm afraid.
Lol! I take it you'll not be using this one for school run then????

Clio 200
well yes and no! I am going to get a very cheap car for doing short and crap journeys, certainly before winter is here. But I don't intend for this to not be considered a daily still really, so chances are the school runs will drop off from it's duties... but then again as I work from home I don't always use it all that much so I'l likely still do them from time to time as I don't like cars sitting :)
Given the last one failed from external factors I think I was a bit quick to judge forged pistons last time around. I've spoken to various places since (and sure it won't last like a OE pistons) and they all say there is still no reason not to get decent use out of it, still on a 3 ring piston. I will at every oil change (5-6k) do a compression test, first sign of any drop and I can then evaluate taking any preventative maintenance - it's not going to be a cheap car to run but such is life!! :)

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Please tell me you aren't breaking this!

Just read through first few pages and the last few of its story at the ring.

I need to have a drive up and see it. You aren't far at all

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I would absolutely love to go up in a Spit. Real dream of mine.

Big shame that this is going to be no more though. My favourite car on the forum by a long way. Would really love to buy it off you.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I would absolutely love to go up in a Spit. Real dream of mine.

Big shame that this is going to be no more though. My favourite car on the forum by a long way. Would really love to buy it off you.
Yeah it's a shame there aren't any 2 seater Hurricanes as that would be my first choice, or even a mosquito tbh!!

Yes I agree mate it is a shame, but everything has a beginning and an end. Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate that people have taken the time to read through the waffle and comment on the thread. It's just worth more in bits than as a complete car unfortunately mate, plus it contains my blood sweat and tears!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Agreed sad shame. Question is would you entertain selling it whole as a complete car at its true value? This car deserves to live another day.