ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brembo HC over MAX

172 cup
Why do so many people opt for the high carbon discs instead of the max? Are the max discs not as good or do they wear quickly? Just noticed so many people get the HC in the short time i've been on this site and wondered why :S Thanks

BMW F21 125d
Price was one factor for me, but also reviews on here of the HC are good. I have Brembo HC and EBC Green's.
Brembo HCs can be got for £60, where as the Max are £120.

340i
HC for perforamnce

MAX for looks

Thats what my friend was told the other day when buying a good track-based braking set up.. the bloke at Demon tweeks said i wont sell you the Brembo max discs because they arnt as good LOL!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Max are HC but with grooves

they aid cooling and wet braking performance. For everyday road use the extra money isn't worth it as you'll never really generate enough heat to need the cooling and you shouldn't be driving that hard to need the grooves in the wet.

TVR Cerbera
Max are HC but with grooves

they aid cooling and wet braking performance. For everyday road use the extra money isn't worth it as you'll never really generate enough heat to need the cooling and you shouldn't be driving that hard to need the grooves in the wet.

are you sure the grooves are for wet braking performance? i personally don't know or heard of that one. i know drilled are top end high performance but are prone to cracking.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
you may be thinking of the drilled ones, they are more prone to cracking. As I said though the Max are High carbs but with the wear indicator grooves.

TVR Cerbera
you may be thinking of the drilled ones, they are more prone to cracking. As I said though the Max are High carbs but with the wear indicator grooves.
that's what i said, drilled ones can crack. thought you said max ones are to aid wet braking, or are they wear indicators?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
the principle purpose is wear indicators, but the grooves do aid cooling and the dispersal of water from the disk.

i.e. ina down pour you get instant braking rather than needing to tap the brake first to dry them. Having said that it's irrelivant if you go for a race or fast road pad as their operating temp is higher than the oem ones.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the grooves were to stop the build-up of gas you get fizzing out of a pad from the pad material binding resin when it's hot.

That's what fade is, a layer of gas between the pad and disc I thought, and the holes or grooves allow that cushion to be periodically broken.

Does that make sense?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I thought the grooves were to stop the build-up of gas you get fizzing out of a pad from the pad material binding resin when it's hot.

That's what fade is, a layer of gas between the pad and disc I thought, and the holes or grooves allow that cushion to be periodically broken.

Does that make sense?

Spot on mate.

Cooling via vents inbetween the friction surfaces.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
yep also why drilled disks work, the grooves work with centrifugal force.

There's a whole range of benefits to grooved disks but brembo only list them as wear indicators, although the technitions real off allsorts of actual benefits.

Of course none of them really make difference on the road, so the extra £ can be money saved with HC disks.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Yozzasport recommend the plain discs over Max when used with ferodo DS2500 pads.

Also DS2500 wear the discs quicker than other pads, around 3:1 discs to pads.

It depends entirely on which pads you are choosing and for what application as to which package we recommend.

Max are the best choice with specific pads in specific circumstances. Plain in others.

/y0z

172 cup
I'm not too bothered by on road performance. I very rarely drive fast on the road so am looking for a brake set up suited more for track days. At the moment from what i've read i'm thinking of going with pagid blues. What disk would be best suited to these? Or are ds2500 better?! I don't want the carbon lorraine jobbies though because i don't like the sound of how much brake dust they build up

ps soz this is a bit off topic now, wasn't sure if i should start a new thread or not

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
:)
Price was one factor for me, but also reviews on here of the HC are good. I have Brembo HC and EBC Green's.

Max disc's for 90 quid on e-bay delivered. Bought mine, happy with the price and product.:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
the principle purpose is wear indicators, but the grooves do aid cooling and the dispersal of water from the disk.

i.e. ina down pour you get instant braking rather than needing to tap the brake first to dry them. Having said that it's irrelivant if you go for a race or fast road pad as their operating temp is higher than the oem ones.

I'll second that about the water disappation.

Hard driving in down poor last week, excellent response from the brakes immediately.:)

Audi TT 3.2 V6
:)

Max disc's for 90 quid on e-bay delivered. Bought mine, happy with the price and product.:)

I got mine for £80 using GSF's ebay store, they had best offer facility setup so i made an offer...they accepted. couldnt beleive the bargain price.