ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bren's Sunflower 172 - Engine Rebuild

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
So was it a dodgy ECU in the end ? Mines doing the exact same thing, fairly sure it's not the loom or relays.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Well.. Not updated in a while. Car has been on the backburner for a while whilst I dealt with other things, however I want it back on the road in April. So I had planned on pulling the seats out to give them a thorough clean, however our wonderful seasonal weather put a stop to that. So Just waiting for a 'relatively' warm weekend to crack on and get all the niggly little things done.

One big hold up has been the N/S tie rod being impossible to remove, so after a little research and a little searching online I managed to find a 32mm crow foot spanner which (hopefully) should sort that problem out. Everywhere I looked I was seeing prices of £35+ which I didn't want to spend on something I'd only use once. Finally found somwhere on ebay offering them at ~£13 delivered. Good news.

IMG_20130320_194819_zps284aa1dc.jpg

Also picked up something today that will make life much easier. Why I didn't buy one years ago, I don't know.

DSC_0057_zps6667b75d.jpg

So.. to get the car back on the road, the following needs to happen (this list may grow)

• Fit N/S Tie rod and rod end
  • Fit front O/S ABS Sensor
  • Bleed and check brakes
  • Adjust camber and tracking
  • Fit starter motor (if indeed it is the starter motor at fault)
  • Find out why the central locking isn't working.
  • Thorough clean inside and out
  • Fit new battery and terminals
  • Fit polybushed dog-bone mount
  • MOT
  • TAX

Sunflower Ph1 172
Great read, glad you got the engine back in...reminds me of the jobs I need to do.

Yep the trolley jack is def one of those must haves.

Not much to do it all fairness, just need a break in the weather. I was hoping to have much of this done on Saturday but it snowed on Friday. Looks like it'll be freezing over easter too, and I've got 5 days off work. I'd like to say I'll brave the cold, but I probably won't.

Not much to do it all fairness, just need a break in the weather. I was hoping to have much of this done on Saturday but it snowed on Friday. Looks like it'll be freezing over easter too, and I've got 5 days off work. I'd like to say I'll brave the cold, but I probably won't.

I know what you mean, I did a small wiring job in the car (extended horn wire for boss spacer) and froze to death. This weather can do one.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I thought you had already put it back on the road. I think Jon Taylor had a crow foot for the inner tie rods as well.

You underestimate my laziness. Spoke with Jon about it, probably going to borrow his if this one doesn't work as planned.

I know what you mean, I did a small wiring job in the car (extended horn wire for boss spacer) and froze to death. This weather can do one.

Stop being soft and get it done already lol

I'll be soft all I want. I work in a nice warm office all day, and going outside is rare enough already.. never mind when it's baltic!!

You can volunteer if you like Adam ;)

Sunflower Ph1 172
Braved the cold weather.. and stumbled across some more fantastic riggy wiring. The notorious dodgy mk2 wiring under the passenger seat obviously got too much for someone, and rather than fix it, someone decided to twist the wires together and wrap them in tape. One more thing to sort out.

DSC_0064_zps6a099628.jpg

Anyway, new ICV, battery and intake pipe fitted. Took the front seats out, and gave them a thorough clean. Currently letting them dry.

DSC_0067_zps945b853c.jpg

New front pads and tie-rod coming tomorrow.. hopefully get a few more things sorted this weekend.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Busy and frustrating day today.. First off, cleaned the interior thoroughly, which I was glad to get out of the way. After the car had been sat so long it really was quite grim inside.

Front seats came up well, and the rears too. Cleaned every inch inside with AutoGlym shampoo, including the roof lining. It definitely needed it.

DSC_0078_zps3dc43677.jpg

DSC_0079_zps08e31c47.jpg

Went to set about removing this inner tie rod that I'd been putting off for months and months. Firstly, checked whether the tool I got actually fitted the new tie rod... no luck.

DSC_0075_zpsee029206.jpg

So quick call to Jonff and a quick drive to Manchester I picked up his 32mm crowfoot, which didn't have them notches. After some swearing and some persuasion it eventually cracked off.

DSC_0076_zpse4829c2c.jpg

Happy days.. or so I thought.

DSC_0077_zps90e1a49d.jpg

After a quick comparison it looks like it's not a 'sport' tie rod. It's not the right length for a start, and the thread on the inside is wrong

DSC_0080_zps2ca2fc98.jpg

DSC_0081_zps9200e3a7.jpg

So.. tomorrow I'll be heading to GSF. Got a part number off Jonff that he used and it was the right one, so I'll take the old one along with me and see if I can get my hands on one to fit tomorrow.

If all goes well, then just need to sort out some of the dodgy wiring, replace starter motor and fit new front pads and hopefully that should be it.

Cup In bits
Interior looks fresh, what was the steps did you take to clean it and was the alacantra brownish prior to the clean?I

had the same the other week mate, two of the same tie rods in the same packet with the same part number but two different threads on.

Another number you could try if your struggling is

Firstline - FTR52277 usually listed for Kangoo van but there the right jobby for the 172 cups and work with full fats too.

53 Clio's & counting
I had that with my first ph1, Renault sent me 2 wrong rod ends, I ended up having to measure the depth and width oc the thread on the old one before they got me the right one

Sunflower Ph1 172
Interior looks fresh, what was the steps did you take to clean it and was the alacantra brownish prior to the clean?I

had the same the other week mate, two of the same tie rods in the same packet with the same part number but two different threads on.

Another number you could try if your struggling is

Firstline - FTR52277 usually listed for Kangoo van but there the right jobby for the 172 cups and work with full fats too.

Seats and interior was looking rough after a year of no use, and there was discolouration and mould in places. From what I've read you have to be careful if you disturb mould as it can cause respiratory problems. So a few days ago the whole interior was basically drenched in Dettol (no bleach obviously) once the seats were out. Then set about with a damp cloth, then some AutoGlym interior shampoo over almost all surfaces, another damp clean cloth, and a final spray of Dettol to make sure there wasn't any horrible bugs remaining. Car was also left to air out all day with doors and boot open.

The part that surprised me the most was the roof lining. it didn't look bad before I started, but a lot of crap came out of it, and it looks a much lighter colour now. All surfaces/plastics/sun visors were cleaned similarly too. Happy with the results, just need to put everything back in now.

I had that with my first ph1, Renault sent me 2 wrong rod ends, I ended up having to measure the depth and width oc the thread on the old one before they got me the right one

Regarding the tie rod, I've checked all of the ones listed on ECP and they are all wrong. GSF apparently have a correct patent part, but typically they aren't open today with it being bank holiday. Luckily I've got tomorrow off, so I'll go and see for myself. If worst comes to worst I'll just go to Renault directly as there is a large dealership nearby. I really need the car back on the road asap and would prefer not to have to wait on parts being delivered.

f0xy is going to help with a few electrical issues still hanging around since ripping out that old alarm, and help finish the last few little jobs.

If all goes well I could have it booked in for MOT by the of the week. (I hope)

Sunflower Ph1 172
Well, today was frustrating.

Car hasn't been started in months, but was spot on last time around. Went to start it up earlier and no joy. It was cranking but no spark. Tried AdamAnderton's unlocked ECU, and his crank sensor, but still no joy. Tested my ECU, Crank sensor and coil pack on his car and it started fine. However it was bogging a little and sounded like it took a while to respond to the throttle. So, we think it may be the coil pack.

Luckily I've got tomorrow off, so early start (LOL) and off to a breakers in Ellesmere Port, and GSF to pick up a genuine Renault coilpack and a tie rod (hopefully the right one this time).

hopefully it is the coilpack that is the issue, because if it isn't, we're stumped as to what the problem could be.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Well, it works out that GSF did have a correct fitting tie rod, which is finally on the car. However I had to nip out and get a rack boot as I couldn't remove the old one without damaging it. Car is back on all fours now.

DSC_0082_zps98cdf6de.jpg

Also nipped out an bought a coil pack today. refitted the crank sensor and ECU which we'd tested on Adam's car, went to start it and..... *click* starter motor decided it didn't want to engage (even though it cranked over no problem yesterday). Luckily, I have a spare, but I don't have any idea how to fit it. The access looks like a nightmare for a start.

Tried giving it a few bashes with a hammer, but no luck.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Worst luck mate! Keep at it, I recognise this car from zsoc, really love the sunflowers.

Yeah I'm on there too, first car was a Mk5 Zetec-S, not updated the project thread on there for a good while though. Back in work today, but hopefully there will be enough light to swap the starter at some point this week after work.

172 cup
Might be worth chucking a jump lead from the battery negative to a gearbox/starter motor bolt, if you've not already tried it. Might be a poor earth causing your starting issues, seems strange it would just die. Might even be a poor power connection. The time it would take to check it's worth doing, nothing worse than spending an hour changing something only to find the problem still there.

Unfortunately all earth straps are new, starter motor mounting faces are clean, battery is brand new. Just typical Renault quality, I went through 6-7 in about 15 trackdays with them not being able to cope with the heat, its only a 10 minute job to change through the top.

Last edited:
  Sunflower Ph1 172
A bit more luck today... swapped starter motor, but still was just clicking. Jord found it was the fuse on the main live wire that was causing the problem. So finally managed to get it started!! Hurrah!

Just need to fit brake pads, adjust handbrake cable, torque up hut nuts and refit the dash to get it MOT'd and back on the road.

Vid curtesy of f0xy

[video=youtube_share;yu1pn2Nclps]http://youtu.be/yu1pn2Nclps[/video]

Sunflower Ph1 172
ahh thought i noticed the name from zsoc , forgot u had this mate , like it alot though :)

Thanks, just been updating the thread on ZSOC actually.

Good stuff :) Bet you can't wait to take it for a good blast again

Definitely cannot wait to get it back on the road, and go for a blast. Will have to hold back a little though as the engine needs running in.

Been a busy weekend, after a few odd issues. Set about trying to get all the central locking and windows etc working. Turns out the fuse for the MTU had blown, when we replaced it the immobiliser was kicking in and stopping the car from starting. Odd considering the ECU is unlocked. After a bit of headscratching Jord noticed the 58th pin on the ECU hadn't been removed when it was unlocked, so it was still receiving a signal from the MTU. With the pin removed the car started without a problem.

However, the central locking wires have been messed with when the old crappy aftermarket alarm was fitted, so they need a bit of attention. However, the car as it stands is MOT'able.

The car has been sat for a total of 15 months now, and hasn't been washed once in that time, so set about it today. Took a while, but pretty pleased with the results

DSC_0109_zpsda9b6708.jpg

DSC_0103_zps959cd86b.jpg

Whilst going over the car though I spotted a few bodywork issues that I really wanted sorted. The rear bumper has a few cracks in the paint, not sure exactly how this is caused but it's a little annoying.

DSC_0106_zps25355610.jpg

Also, still need to get this scratch my lovely neighbour caused.

DSC_0107_zps26525ec4.jpg

Also, one of my other lovely neighbours has somehow caused this mark all the way along the front bumper. Looks like someone has dragged their wheelie bin right across the front of the car. Had a bash at trying to remove it, but no luck.

DSC_0105_zps1c0ceb3b.jpg

​MOT booked for Wednesday... not long now!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Awesome! nearly done now though, Bet you cant wait. Also cant beleive its been sat up for 15 months! Feels like it was a few months ago I read that it had packed in!

Sunflower Ph1 172
Awesome! nearly done now though, Bet you cant wait. Also cant beleive its been sat up for 15 months! Feels like it was a few months ago I read that it had packed in!

Cannot wait, it's been way too long! Forgot just how good it sounds too.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Jus need to put the dash back together tonight when I get home from work, and then it's pretty much set for it's MOT. Reasonably confident it'll pass, then I have the rest of the afternoon on Wednesday and probably a few days after work to take it for a good long run out. Need to rack up some decent mileage under load to run the engine in correctly, then change the oil this weekend as it's being run-in using mineral oil.

Getting a bit excited now.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Actually... just realised we're at Silverstone this weekend, so will probably take a bit longer to get the engine run in. Don't think 500 miles per day is possible lol

Set about putting all the interior back together yesterday, was a bit of a headache considering it has been nearly a year since i was taken out. All went back together relatively seemlessly, although it's really hard to get the MTU (UCH) back in place, and I have numerous marks on my hands thanks to the plastics digging into me. Looking good, but too dark to get photos by the time I was done.

Moved the car last night, and after navigating a cruise liner for so long (Mondeo Estate) the clio feels absolutely tiny. I'm sure I'll get back used to it again soon.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Up early, and off to get the car MOT'd. Weird driving it again, and was hard to get used to the dimensions again. Keeping the engine under load in order to run it in correctly, isn't all that easy, but think I got the hang of it. Running sweet as a nut, so good work f0xy!

Passed it's MOT, but a few things need changing, O/S ball joint for a start, and N/S driveshaft could really do with being replaced.

Picked up a pair of ball joints on the way home, and I've got some genuine Renault pinch bolts to fit too which I can do this evening.

Had a great drive out (~170miles) to give it a run in, and started to remember why the car was worth saving and getting back on the road.. some great views too.

*yes I know my registration plate is wonky

DSC_0116_zps8f2aa8aa.jpg

DSC_0121_zps49074ed1.jpg

DSC_0119_zps3afa896a.jpg

Also, managed to get my hands on one of these gel stickers a few months ago, and finally got around to sticking it on the boot last night. Pic also gives you an idea just how much the exhaust is sticking out.

DSC_0120_zps3e3afa31.jpg

Had something to eat, now better crack on with fitting these... M12, so should be the right fit.

DSC_0124_zps110d7c52.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see it back on the road. That lay by looks like Isle of sky I.e Dove stones to Holmfirth. I've got many pictures of many cars there if it is. The only thing throwing me is the speed camera sign.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
looking good Bren :)

Hope you sort out whatever the issues are with it starting up! Hopefully just in time for spring!

Sunflower Ph1 172
Nice to see it back on the road. That lay by looks like Isle of sky I.e Dove stones to Holmfirth. I've got many pictures of many cars there if it is. The only thing throwing me is the speed camera sign.

This is up near Buxton/Derbyshire area, not exactly sure where as I just stopped where it was quiet.

looking good Bren :)

Hope you sort out whatever the issues are with it starting up! Hopefully just in time for spring!

Fingers crossed. Aside from the electrical issues which are being teased out one by one the car pretty much flawless all day.