ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget to buy a 172

225 Cup & Williams
Hi Folks i'm seriously considering getting a 172 start of next year ideally a ph1 172 or a 172 cup, Im coming up for 19 and was thinking a budget of 4k to buy and insure one what do you guys think? also has anyone on here had a sport at 19 if so was your insurance price cheapish for your age?

cheers guys

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Better off looking at a Ph1 with that budget. Cheaper to buy and insure.

225 Cup & Williams
Cool i've been looking at ph1's mostly tbh how come theyre cheaper to insure? lower insurance group?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Think ph1's are cheaper because they are older

I'm 19, aslong as you have a years bonus and do some shopping around you should be able to insure it for sub £1500 easily, although depends on postcode mainly.

I'd budget about £2500 for a very good ph1/tired cup.

Celica and Raptor.
Yeah you will probley need around 2k for insurence at 19.

You wont get a 172 and insure for 4k at 19.

Good Luck

ph1 172
ph1 cheaper insurance cos its less valuable ...same insurance group i would imagine.

CLIO PH1 172
not 19 but 20 with 3points

car:172 ph1 £2175
insurance: direct line £1000 fc

leaves u £825 for mods lol :D

320d
I had the same decision. I went for the ph1 because I pretty much liked both equally but I was worried that I may have problems insuring the cup. I also liked the few extra luxuries on the ph1 along with the cable throttle and it only weighs 14kg's more than the cup.

I paid £1300 for insurance. 2NCB.

225 Cup & Williams

Thats pretty damn good mate! when i turn 19 i'll have 2 years ncb also so that will help quite a bit hopefully, think i could be going for a ph1 prefer the front end on them haha

Titanium 182
Think ph1's are cheaper because they are older

I'm 19, aslong as you have a years bonus and do some shopping around you should be able to insure it for sub £1500 easily, although depends on postcode mainly.

I'd budget about £2500 for a very good ph1/tired cup.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I paid £2050 to insure my 182 and the ph1 costs me £300 less. But I'm still on my policy I took out when I was 19. Renewal in december hoping to be about £1200ish..

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd wait a few years, silly spending fortunes on insurance. Save up and get a minter when your older. I had 1.1's until I was 23 then got my 172 and don't regret not getting a more poweful car sooner.

ph2 iceburg 172
yeh im 19 with 1 ncb and i was quoted lastnight 2100 a year for tpft which is a joke. but if you bump the excess up abit that seems to reduce it quite abit. thats a ph2 though, when i was getting quotes ph1 vs normal ph2 the ph2 was only working out to be 10/20 pound more a month. finally yeh the insurance is a killer but if you can afford it then go for it, no point driving around in a 1.1 and hating it everyday and wishing you had got a sport. just my 2 pence

I'm glad I'm 32. I pay under 400 for me and my wife on the insurance. Fully comp with protected NCB. Thats with the modifications declared too. And a £250 excess.

Whats the typical excess for young drivers these days when they are paying silly insurance costs of £2k and more?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why would you have problems insuring a Cup if you have a Williams?

Some companies don't quote on cups. One of the biggest selling points of the cup is weight. The ph1 weighs pretty much the same, but you get ac, abs.

Megane 225 F1

Thought direct line doesnt allow mods for under 25s?

Anyway im 20 and im getting quotes of 1600 on a ph2 (1 yr ncb, 3 years driving, no points) but a ph1 is only 100 cheaper.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I paid £2050 to insure my 182 and the ph1 costs me £300 less. But I'm still on my policy I took out when I was 19. Renewal in december hoping to be about £1200ish..

Well i did say it depends on postcode, but i got 2 quotes in the end below the £1500 mark with chris knott and adrian flux.

Megane 225 F1
Just out of intrest, when ringing a company up for a quote such as adrian flux and brentacre, how long does it usually take? Dont have a landline in my house so will be using my mobile and i dont want to do it if it costs me a fecking fortune.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just out of intrest, when ringing a company up for a quote such as adrian flux and brentacre, how long does it usually take? Dont have a landline in my house so will be using my mobile and i dont want to do it if it costs me a fecking fortune.
5-10 minutes, think flux offer a call back service, not sure on brentacre.

ph2 iceburg 172
most the numbers are 0800 so will cost quite alot so probs best say going to a mates/ family members house with a landline and it il be free. but when i was ringing last night i got quotes from three different place and it took me the best part of an hour so will end up costing a bomb

CLIO PH1 172
Thought direct line doesnt allow mods for under 25s?

Anyway im 20 and im getting quotes of 1600 on a ph2 (1 yr ncb, 3 years driving, no points) but a ph1 is only 100 cheaper.

cars standrd.......................ish ;) been with them since i was 17 (on mydads insurence) this is my first year on my own FC

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My 172 is a ph1 that I paid £1900 for. It needed a few things sorting but overall its been a cracking car. Insurance was cheaper than the wifes' astra 1.6 automatic! Not sure why ,but wasnt about to ask!:eek:

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I was 17 and got insured on a 172 :) 18 now and im paying 1,500 for insurance. But i do have to work an awful lot :( to afford it all, but going in the navy hopefully next summer so will be all good :)

Megane 225 F1
My 172 is a ph1 that I paid £1900 for. It needed a few things sorting but overall its been a cracking car. Insurance was cheaper than the wifes' astra 1.6 automatic! Not sure why ,but wasnt about to ask!:eek:

insurance or the car itself?

225 Cup & Williams
Think the best plan is to phone about tbh had a look on the compare website and i was being quoted 1800 bucks if i was to insure it right now, yeah it's dear but it's still not to bad for my age.

DMS

A thirsty 172
i paid 1700 on my 19th bday on 2 yrs ncb

But you can't learn to drive until you're 17. So that implies you passed your test on your 17th birthday AND got a car and insured it the same day, otherwise you couldn't have 2 years no claims?

ph2 iceburg 172
But you can't learn to drive until you're 17. So that implies you passed your test on your 17th birthday AND got a car and insured it the same day, otherwise you couldn't have 2 years no claims?

nah not actually. he could be 19 yrs and 8 months for example, still makes him 19 and could of easily passed the test within 6-8months and got a car straight away, think before you post