ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bummer to stunner

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fair play to you for doing it yourself.

Although I personally think its dreadful. The paint finish, the filler, the style you're going for.

Sorry. :(

Clio Mk1 Ph1
No worries Daniel I like everyone's opinion, I know paints not great and filler needs some finish, you'll be glad to know its just my first run :) hopefully get another better finish on it :)

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Fair play to you for doing it yourself.

Although I personally think its dreadful. The paint finish, the filler, the style you're going for.

Sorry. :(

I'm sorry but I have to agree with this. Not only does it look like it's had Olay anti-wrinkle cream rubbed all over it, the bumpers and bonnet fitments are all wonky and there are panel gaps everywhere. Plus it looks like it was painted with white enamel and a roller. Fair play to you for trying to make it look better but IMO, I wouldn't have bothered.

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Im afraid this is what id expected but all feedback is good,
What would be the next step then?
Sort out bonnet and bumper fitment to get rid of the massive panel gaps?
And I agree with the paint... Lacking shine?

Is the 'euro smoothed' look even achievable with a 5 door?
Any ideas would be appreciated? :D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't give up dude! At least you're trying and practice makes perfect as they say.

5 doors can pull it off, don't worry about that.

Once its all painted, give it a good flatting and polishing and see how it comes out. will look heaps better.

Look at it this way, you've had a go and what will be will be.

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Haha cheers, was wearing a frowny face for most of today :p Long weekend coming though, guna get my polish on!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just buy yourself plenty of wet and dry and get hold of a decent MAchine polisher.

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Righto, flat and polish gotcha,
I know you said you didn't like the style I was going for, specific bits on the car or just not a fan of smoothing clios ?

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Paydays the 15th coilovers will be on order :D
Was thinking of keeping my steels and polishing the outer part?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
no you need to go uber wide and uber bling... distracts from the imperfections of the car... haha

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Haha hopefully there will be no imperfections :p

A friend of micraboy is banding him some steels, might jump on the bandwagon as I'm a fan of a deep dish...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Banded steels with black centres, white bands, stretched rubber.

But don't do any of that until you've lowered it. All the way down.

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Not too keen on stretched tyres :/ is t possible to get wide tyres to fit? Plus how many inches would I need to band for a good look?

Black Gold Trophy
Surely paint the handles a contasting color to the rest of the bodywork defeats the object of smoothing them into the bodywork?

I'm not a fan personally, but I suppose it's better to learn on a car like this where you have nothing to loose, rather than ruin a mint example. Don't spend too much money on it though!

Clio Mk1 Ph1
As I'd previously mentioned the handles are going black along with a few other things this weekend... The pictures were literally the first coat of white all over the car, I have NOT finished the paintwork... :)

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Bit of a flat and polish on the boot, for about the poor lighting but is that a more acceptable shine?

5284ec08-d791-eb01.jpg

182 FF
That picture of the boot looks miles better than the others you posted, looks half decent. Kudos to you for doing it all yourself :)

Removing the rear door handles can help with a five door as well :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its the wibbly wobbly body work than the paint for me. u need to sort that before painting. kudos for having a go tho... not knocking u

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Cheers both, agreed I think I rushed into painting :/ amateur mistake I suppose, guna try and sort out the bodywork properly before sorting out the paint :)

1.2 16V Dynamique
I love the attempt, and I understand that it's only the first step towards the end result, but try and make sure that you manage to get the filler done properly before applying an undercoat or primer. It is sometimes easier to use the primer as a guide to find where the highs and lows are, especially in a spot such as the door handles, but when we eventually get a decent bit of weather the heat of the day and the cold of the night it may start to crack if the paint hasn't been keyed up properly.

That said, I wish I could be working on mine, with a full time job and a garage :p Good luck with it all

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Cheers :)
Managed to claw today off from work and have made a lot of headway:

Got the bumper up tight with the wings
Altered the bonnet and wings to fit flush too
Managed to flat down/flip up places I've missed with filler

Must say its starting to shape up, with the dry day I've rolled her outside, proper sunlights helped a lot to show up dips that needed filling :)

Anyone know of there are are a pair of subtle side skirts about? And how much they'll set me back as the underside of the car looks dreadfully shabby :/

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Safe to say I'm bored shitless of paintwork but she's comig along nicely now inside and out :) patients pie the golden rule I believe :p

Had a natter with some old boys up at the mechanics where micraboy lives, managed to draw up some frames for my recaros as the adapter set were £175 a piece and I'm tryin to keep this build to some kind of budget :p

Dads away too so the shed is empty (was empty) as I've had a chance to strip the whole interior down to its bare bollucks ready for some good old fashioned retrimming, probably more painting and a veeeeeery through clean :)

Like to say I've been productive but sitting in the stripped out interior is far more appealing ATM than working :p

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Time to talk engine conversion, it's currently a 1.2 8v which as I remember when I first started during was pants.

Now i've Managed to bag myself a 1.6 8v Clio mk2 engine on the cheap if I want it...
What I'd like to know Is a conversion a fairly straight forward job as far as bolting it in and wiring etc? I might be able to persuade a mechy friend to help with it if anyone's worried a total noob would **** it up...

And before all those helpful 'just buy a 1.6 Clio' comments I have the car and am building it for sentimental reasons so that is out of the question no matter how much simpler and/or cheaper it may be...

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Needs boring out by 3 mil, giving them to a steel bloke down the road to sort them out
As for stretch I'm still undecided as tbh I'm not a fan :/ priority at the moment is coilovers and I'll go from there..

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Got to polishing today cos I've pulled a muscle I my back do not up to much else :/

Starting to shape up:
5284e809-531d-2d23.jpg

Damn who's a shiny biatch :p

Me on the other hand:
5284e825-53a5-3a84.jpg

Also started to paint my dull faded wing mirrors... Gloss black took away the bright white so I settled with satin black which I must say looks tidy as :
5284e805-5448-2fc4.jpg

All going quite well I think :)

Clio Mk1 Ph1
I sadly it's only a universal one.. Focusing on getting collies this month then a new exhaust system should be soon to follow..

As for taping it up 'twas a late night blonde moment :p

PB172
Ph2 lights mate. Will finish the back end off :)

Also whees and lows willmajorly change the look of it so keep it up. :)