ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buring wire(s)??

Was wondering if anyone would know why the insulation tape has been burnt off on my car?

I've added a picture of the group of wires in question and it appears to have only happened there. One of the wires has burnt through its coating a tiny amount and I'm guessing has then burnt the tape wrapped around them off. Has only happened today as I noticed a burning smell when driving home. The only thing I have done recently is remove the acoustic valve. Could that cause this?

Cheers

View attachment 85133

I'd have expected the fuses to have gone pop and a flat battery before any wires burning through even their own insulation.

My guess someone has been rummaging at the wires on the connector, unless you've seen the tape on there prior to being it burnt.
Plus the wire that has still some tape on it, that may just be the sticky residue that the tape leaves.

That connector has 99.9% on the wires from the engine bay into the cabin.

Yeah the tape was already on there when I bought it. The weird thing is that the bit of black insulation tape looked like they had been chewed. Now starting to wonder if mice have attacked it as the number 4 HT lead also has been what looks like chewed at the spark plug end as there is tiny bit of rubber around the base of that.

Will be taking it into Renault shortly today to get them to check. So odd

The burning smell might have been from someone burning something as the smell didn't last long and the car seems to be working fine at the moment