ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buyin a 172 ph2 or 182 anyhting to look out for?

Ozzed Clio
im looking at buying something under 50,000 miles. any advice on problems that are costly and wat to look out for when buying a cliosport in general.
thanks

Ph1
Check the cam and auxiliary belts have been done according to the miles and age. Expensive job if you have to do it and even more expensive if they fail.

Check the state of the rear discs. Nippy job if they need doing (200 ish including pads)

Condition of the clutch, again quite expensive if you have to do it.

Ideally a fsh.

Thats probably about it. Wouldnt worry about the mileage. They where it well as long as its been looked after

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as above they are deffo stuff to look out for.

exhausts are terrible too they fall off so most will either have a newish standard one or an aftermarket one (or a fucked standard 1!)

my 172 snapped at the centre section at the rear of it, ive saw backboxes fall off too in my time

Clio 172 cup
182's dont have a spare wheel am i right?

Yes your right, Renault muppets decided to design a new twin pipe exhaust for the 182 and run it straight through the spare wheel well, hence no spare wheel.

172 cup didn`t have one either, just 2 cans of tyre foam.......yes there s**t but its worth it to save 20kg IMO

LOL spare wheels can be had for £5 at a scrapyard.

I think he means as the car has a wheel well to actually carry one rather than the wheel itself! Yes you can put a spare in a 182 but it's a bit of a pain having a wheel in your boot taking up a lot of space.

Ph1
im actually thinking of the 172 because of the spare wheel though tbh. better safe than sorry imo.

Majority of modern cars carry a can of foam rather than a spare. Unless you have a blow out its all you need.

I mean, on a peeing down night stuck on the M6 in the dark, would you really want to be stuck on the hard shoulder jacking a car up with 44 tonne wagons flying inches past you or a 2 seconds job with some tyre weld?

how exactly do u use the foam

Put it in the valve and pull the trigger. But it doesnt work. If by some miracle you did get it to work, the tyre isnt repairable as its not filled with foam crap.

If you have £4k get a 172. If you have £6k get a 182.

Same goes for both really. Belts done. Make sure the engine mounts are good, common problem. Exhaust banging. Suspension. Tyres. Service history.

Then just look at it, dents/scratches etc etc.

Ozzed Clio
Quite right tyre foam is shite I would be much happier changing to the spare than waitin for bloody AA or using tyre weld and wonderin whether it will work.
Plus it is a pain in the arse for tyre changes after as it's hard to clean off the wheel. I can afford both but it's just preference

Last edited:
Put it in the valve and pull the trigger. But it doesnt work. If by some miracle you did get it to work, the tyre isnt repairable as its not filled with foam crap.

TBH it does work if you're lucky and use it properly, and carry a pump to put some decent pressure in it.

As for not being able to repair afterwards that is an old wives tale. I had a trye place pull that trick on me. They got a swift FRO. Twenty minutes later I was rolling on a repaired tyre. Done.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Check the cam and auxiliary belts have been done according to the miles and age. Expensive job if you have to do it and even more expensive if they fail.

Check the state of the rear discs. Nippy job if they need doing (200 ish including pads)

Condition of the clutch, again quite expensive if you have to do it.

Ideally a fsh.

Thats probably about it. Wouldnt worry about the mileage. They where it well as long as its been looked after

WTF?

Did you ask to be spanked gently? I got front discs and rear discs (with pads) for less than £90 from www.eurocarparts.com

They are un-cannily akin to the products that Renault serve you...:rasp: