ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cable throttle body maintenance/ repair?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Any of you with a cable operated throttle body on a clio 172 will know that when it starts sticking, or yo yoing, its a PITA.

So, having changed the throttle cable albeit aftermarket, and noticing the revs went both up and down, so prob not a sticky throttle cable, the throttle body was changed.

90% of my problem was then sorted but not completely. So, i will change throttle cable completely to a renault one in Spring, but feel it is the throttle body flap return mechanism sticking.

I will send it off for a new spindle and clean up in a month or 2, but in the meantime will now clean the body which was giving all the grief

Point of post is, where do i start to clean it. Any tips? Or us it just clean all over. Any areas to pay attention to? How you get at the spindle?

Thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Looking at my first throttle body and trying to identify the problem, I can see that when you turn the black wheel to open the butterfly, the black wheel moves from spindle end to spindle end by a couple mm at least

Looking closely, it looks like the return spring has movement on it causing this movement, so do they do a replacement return spring, or I might be creating one myself

Be good if there were a guide to dismantle the body.

Any other advice on how to resolve. I could send it off for spindle, butterfly change and rebore to 64 mm, but that wouldn't sort the spring....