ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam options (again)

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Have had a look for the answers but haven't come across anything related.
I all ready have a set of 428's in my engine (still a undergoing project) but now iv'e purchased ITB'S and with the car mainly being a stripped right out track car with the occasional road drive i was looking for more aggressive cams, i know a lot of people put 421's but as iv'e already purchased uprated valve springs i was thinking something along the lines of 5502432's or even 5502433's.
cam options.png

What i'd like to know is are there any advantages of going for the more "race" type cams over the 421's?, if someone could explain roughly what these 432's/433's would be like on revs that would be great.

I know that i'll have to compromise on rev range somewhere but what i don't want is under 5k the car not being able to pull at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Any explanation as to why not dan, have you had them in any of your previous cars?. From looking at the duration/lift on the 432's there pretty similar to the 421's.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need forged pistons or some other way of gaining valve clearance for anything bigger than 421.

Piper now do a BP285 cam which is similar to 421s. Its £300ish for them to be reprofiled. I've got the one below that (BP270) which makes 207bhp on mine with ITBs so with the 285 you should expect more.

Sell your 428s, send some standard cams to Piper and for roughly £100 you've got yourself a nice upgrade.

Not seen some of those cam profiles before. Maybe catcams have updated their range. Probably worth talking to ED about it.
http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Renault_clio_rs.html
I think you need high comp pistons, or the std ones machining to have deeper pockets for the valves to go into for 422/423 profiles, which look similar to the 432/433.
There are a few cars on here running 422/423 cam profiles with high comp pistons - you're likely to make in the 220-240 bhp range. From looking at the power graphs they don't seem to be too compromised lower in the rev range.
Not sure it'd be worth the expense of switching from 428 to 421, you're probably talking 5bhp.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Ah didn't realise that it needed work for the valve clearance going over 421's, a bit stupid of a company not explaining that when giving the options to buy cams.

Wow that's cheap in respect for the price cat cams are, maybe i'm a idiot but I always think that you get what you pay for so don't think i'll go down the route of piper re-profiling standard non billet cams i'd rather spend the extra and know that there the proper ones.

Thanks for that tom cleared a lot of questions up.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Thanks for that mark, I like the thought of having 220/240bhp in something that's going to be around the 800kg mk. Think i'll speak to ED and see what he says regarding gains-££££. To go down the expense of a extra £450 after selling the 428's and only gain 5bhp doesn't seam the best option imo.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Wtf 8k, forget that then not prepared to pay that on the the engine alone the bloody car owes me over 10k as it is.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ah didn't realise that it needed work for the valve clearance going over 421's, a bit stupid of a company not explaining that when giving the options to buy cams.

Wow that's cheap in respect for the price cat cams are, maybe i'm a idiot but I always think that you get what you pay for so don't think i'll go down the route of piper re-profiling standard non billet cams i'd rather spend the extra and know that there the proper ones.

Thanks for that tom cleared a lot of questions up.
Cam snob! Nothing wrong with reprofiled cams whatsoever. You won't notice any difference in performance or cam life between reprofiled and blanks, all it does is save you money.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Haha cam snob!, thinking about it i wonder if i could use the existing 428's i have and get them re-profiled to 421's?.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You could enlarge the pockets on the oe Pistons to run 422's or 423's. Iirc you need to increase the pocket depth around 1.5-2mm.
But those profiles work better with higher comp ratios. You could always fit a set of 197 Pistons if you really wanted to do it on the cheap and not bother with forged pistons.

And on that note I'll await the flaming for suggesting pocketing the oe pistons! Lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Thanks for all the input guys really appreciate the time you've taken to write your info, given what has been mentioned I think i'll just get my 428's re-profiled to 421's, going down the 422423 Seams to be hassle and not to mention a extra £1000 on forged Pistons/pins/bolts.
I know i could do the cheaper option and get my standard pockets enlarged or go down the route of 197 but there's still the headwork to get the compression ratio right to get the best out of the cams.

Maybe in a year or 2 when i get used to the power and how it's delivered and decide i want more i can look at this option again and probably alter gear ratios at the same time to get the best from the car.
Also in that time period the prices might come down so giving me more and better options.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for all the input guys really appreciate the time you've taken to write your info, given what has been mentioned I think i'll just get my 428's re-profiled to 421's, going down the 422423 Seams to be hassle and not to mention a extra £1000 on forged Pistons/pins/bolts.
I know i could do the cheaper option and get my standard pockets enlarged or go down the route of 197 but there's still the headwork to get the compression ratio right to get the best out of the cams.

Maybe in a year or 2 when i get used to the power and how it's delivered and decide i want more i can look at this option again and probably alter gear ratios at the same time to get the best from the car.
Also in that time period the prices might come down so giving me more and better options.
1k for forged Pistons is a bit ott mate. You can get piston AND rod packages for £600-£700 from pec if you go to th right places.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I've just calculated the prices from engine dynamics website I did see pec ones but there was no compression ratio, but they were only £100 less than the others.

What compression ratio Pistons would be best 11.8.1or 12.8.1?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Thanks again guys, I've decided to stay with stock internals i've already been on the phone today to piper cams about sending the 428's to get re-profiled to their 421spec, a simple 10min job tomorrow while over the garage remove the cams to be posted off.

I can always go down the forged route at a later date with a spare engine.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got any standard cams knocking around? It would work out cheaper to send them off and sell the 428s. You'll get decent money for the 428s on here.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Na i used the standard cams i had in another engine that these came out of, i'll have a dig about through the FS section and see if i can get a pair of standard ones and sell the 428's.

Good thinking batman .

Na i used the standard cams i had in another engine that these came out of, i'll have a dig about through the FS section and see if i can get a pair of standard ones and sell the 428's.

Good thinking batman .
I have a set of standard cams you can have cheap as chips mate, they're sitting around collecting dust. My car's a road car with 428's in and the standards will never go back in. That way you can sell the 428's and probably get your upgrade for free. PM me.

Renault Clio RS ph2
Goodmorning,
does someone know if Piper BP285 full lift inlet ATDC (110°) is measured with VVT dephaser pulley engaged or disengaged?
Did someone measure which are BP270 and BP285 lifts @ TDC for inlet and exhaust (with OEM timing )?
I sent an email to PiperCams but they answered me only to run standard timing, using the slot on the rear of the camshaft!
Thanks for your help!