ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change has left me with a jammed bonnet.

Integrale1

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Just got my car back from the garage after it had the cambelt and aux belt done. I've just gone to open the bonnet to have a look in the bay and it wont open. The lever in the car still feels tensioned, i.e. the cable hasn't snapped but the bonnet will not pop open.
I know the logical answer is take it back to the garage, however they are shut today and tomorrow. I just don't want to be driving around with a jammed bonnet all week.

So is there an "easy" way to check what exactly is the issue or am I best taking it back when I get a chance.

Thanks for any help/advice.

renault clio 1.4 16v
you can possibly get to the latch from underneath but you would need a very long thin arm

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you tried actually lifting the bonnet while pulling the lever? The spring that pops it up is probably just rusted to f**k so isn't lifting when the release is pulled and it's coincidental it's happened after the cambelt change. Happened with mine recently anyway, worth trying!

Integrale1

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi yeah I've tried pulling the lever in the car and pulling the bonnet, also tried pulling the other lever under the bonnet, it feels likes there's a lot of tension and I daren't pull the bonnet any harder tbh.

Ph2 172
Mine was stuck on the hole in the grill, pull it as much as you can and have a look in to see what's going on

Integrale1

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I've tried all the above bits of advice (apart from crawling up the exhaust)
I'm just going to take it back to the garage on Monday, it's annoying as I've got to take time out of work and do an 80 mile round trip to sort something that should have been done.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I've tried all the above bits of advice (apart from crawling up the exhaust)
I'm just going to take it back to the garage on Monday, it's annoying as I've got to take time out of work and do an 80 mile round trip for the to sort something that should have be done.

So they are supposed to be physcic? And know that the bonnet was going to get stuck shut.....:tonguewink:

Integrale1

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Seeing as though im an aircraft engineer, if I had disturbed a system during maintainance I'd make sure it worked by checking if. The latch was fine before the bumper, grill etc was removed, no rusty spring, no latch caked in filth etc...
Maybe I must expect too much from a garage