ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change timescale

Arctic Just A 182
Realistically how soon around the 5 year mark do you need to get the cambelt changed? Mine's due round about April but there's no way I'll be able to afford it before summer (got a holiday to save for).... Does it have to be done at exactly 5 years or just some point during the fifth year?

Probably dozens of threads about the same thing and for that I apologise.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Do it when you want but its your risk. Things could become alot more expensive.

Cammed 182 :)
If you cant afford it then you cant afford to drive a 182 Tbh. Its not really worth the risk of snapping. Shop about you can get a cambelt kit for £100 and get different qoutes from garages some may underprice just to get buisness you never know?

Arctic Just A 182
If you cant afford it then you cant afford to drive a 182 Tbh. Its not really worth the risk of snapping. Shop about you can get a cambelt kit for £100 and get different qoutes from garages some may underprice just to get buisness you never know?

I've already got the belt. Maybe I'd find it easier to afford it sooner if I hadn't got to service, MOT and reinsure it all within next two months :( And then save up for my holiday.

Are we saying then that the moment the car reaches 5 years on the road the chances of catastrophic cambelt failure increase massively?

Fabia vRS
You can do the job yourself if you feel you are up to it and you have the tools. There is a really good guide on how to do it -
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=437872
You really should also replace the aux belt and its tensioner and pulley at the same time because its almost as difficult as replacing the timing belt, there's not much room to work under the bonnet :mad:

Fabia vRS
The aux belt and timing belt should be changed at the same time throughout the service history of the car. They need changing at the same time/milage intervals and you have to remove the aux belt to get to the timing belt anyways! If you do them at different times you will just ending up spending more money on labour than you need to.

Aux belt was done at last service, thankfully.

clio 182 black /gold
It is a risk you have to take. I suppose on how many miles the car has done also. My neighbour had a "W" reg Vectra and the belt should have been done at 70K. They forgot to do it and it got to 70200 miles and it snapped whilst on there way to London. Im getting mine done a couple of weeks earlier.

172 turbo 'cup'
I had one snap on my corsa Gsi years ago not good i got my 172 done on 36000 to early but dont want it to happen again get it done

ITB'd MK1
it's miles or age related. Change procedures state that changes should be done at shorter intervals with hard use. I dont like to go much past 4 years unless it's very low miles TBH