ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt problems...should I bother?

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Hi all,

New member here, hope this is in the right place. I was after some advice please...

I have a 2002 Clio 172 cup, which I have owned from new and has covered 140000 miles. The car is only used for my commute to work which is a 25 mile round trip.

The idler pulley(?) has failed and caused the timing belt to slip resulting in damage to the valves in 3&4 cylinders. I have been quoted £750+vat for repair of the head and reassembly including valves, gaskets, new timing belt kit etc.

I was wondering if any members had any advice on the following:

Is it worth spending this money on the vehicle or should I just cut my losses and get rid. I would only replace it with a £1000 run around so am stuck between repairing the car I know and buying an unknown vehicle with potentially more problems.

I am also concerned that there is damage to the bottom end of the engine which will only come to light once the repair is done. Do any members have any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice. It's a cracking car (if a bit tatty in places) but never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm driving it so I'm reluctant to get rid if I can help it but realise I need to be realistic!

Cheers

Ian

Repair it mate.. you know the works been done then and you're not risking taking on a £1000 car plus any issues it has.

Could always source a second hand engine and then have all the belts done for your piece of mind that way, may work out cheaper for you.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I would also go with a second hand engine, And get the Gearbox Refurbed with a new clutch. :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Second hand engine. Known as working from a trusted seller on here.

Should cost you £350 if it's had recent-ish belts. £250 for someone to fit it. Suggest clutch is done too

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Thanks for all your replies. I have been considering a replacement engine but have been unsure where to source one. I was also thinking about the clutch as it's still on it's original one. Is there anyone on the forum who may be able to help me source and fit these? I am in Cambridge.

Thanks again for your replies and advice, I really appreciate it.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Was the belt change due just out of curiosity?
Hi

Yes I'm afraid so, but only just and I was trying to hold it off until it's MOT was due and get it all done then. Schoolboy error and one I'm regretting now!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hi

Yes I'm afraid so, but only just and I was trying to hold it off until it's MOT was due and get it all done then. Schoolboy error and one I'm regretting now![/QUOTE

Thats a real b*****d that. Having owned it from new i'd 100% get it sorted.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
@Kelv often has spare engines.

On another note, impressive to hear you've owned it from new and put 140,000 miles on it. More so that it's still on the original clutch!

Thanks Martin I'll see if he can help.

I cant beleive the clutch is still going either especially with the amount of stick it got in my younger days. The car has always been super reliable for me and I suppose that's the reason I don't want to see it go!

Thanks for your reply

I'd get a lower mile engine, get all the belts done while its out or buy one with them already done, chuck it in with new clutch as above and enjoy a fair enough thousand miles of happy driving

Well lower than 140k should last longer.

Although that said from what I've read mileage doesn't really matter to much its all about how its been kept.......Correct myself again even if its kept well it can still go. Take @Dr Jekyll and his mishaps for instance

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
get the head sorted, why buy an engine you have no real idea how it's been looked after.
I thought this at first, but I'm a little concerned that there may be damage to the Pistons etc which is why I was leaning towards a replacement engine. The guy who is offering to sort the head says it is highly unlikely there will be damage to the bottom end of the engine in his experience though. I guess if I can find a decent engine with a reasonably low mileage that would be the best option although you're right that I'd have no idea how well it's been treated. Grrrrr this is tough!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well lower than 140k should last longer.

Although that said from what I've read mileage doesn't really matter to much its all about how its been kept.......Correct myself again even if its kept well it can still go. Take @Dr Jekyll and his mishaps for instance

You just answered your own question lol.

dan's cast offs.
I thought this at first, but I'm a little concerned that there may be damage to the Pistons etc which is why I was leaning towards a replacement engine. The guy who is offering to sort the head says it is highly unlikely there will be damage to the bottom end of the engine in his experience though. I guess if I can find a decent engine with a reasonably low mileage that would be the best option although you're right that I'd have no idea how well it's been treated. Grrrrr this is tough!!

chances are piston damage will be minimal. will say it again though...you've got an engine that you know exactly how it has been treated all it's life, stick with it.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Thanks again for all your help.
After taking your advice I think I'm going to get the head rebuilt along with all belts etc. I am worried about potential damage to the bottom end but guess that will become obvious when the head is removed?
Do people think £750 +vat is reasonable for a head rebuild and timing belt replacement? In theory I will trailer it in and drive it away so I think it's ok.
If I didn't know the car's history I'd be more inclined to get a replacement engine but I think the rebuild is my better option.
Cheers
Ian

That's quite cheap, seeing as from Renault:
Valves are ~ £365
Timing belt kit £150
Dephaser £165
Head gasket set £110
Head bolts are ~£90.

Which says they're doing it for free, or using pattern parts. And using pattern valves, WILL end in tears.