ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt & waterpump

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hey guys, the 172 that Im intrested in has had the cambelt done on 51k (current milage) but didn't have the waterpump done. Is this madness not doing it at the same time?

Do I view or avoid?

cheers

Mondeo TDCI 130
^ no, water pumps are hard wearing and don't generally cause a prob. We always check them, but unless the customer asks it isn't changed.

Driven by the aux belt, done a 225 today, thats driven by the cambelt so changed that with the belt kit. :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
On these its not essential that the pump be changed as its not timing belt driven plus its rare they fail. Its your call though if you want to use it as an excuse to try knocking the owner down.

Just look for timing belt and aux. belt kit changes in that history (if any).

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Driven by the aux belt, done a 225 today, thats driven by the cambelt so changed that with the belt kit. :)

Did this on my Laguna GT today in just under 2hrs... love how much room there is on those compared to the Megs.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be more concerned about who did the cambelt and weather a) they did it properly and 2) if they did the full kit and not just the belt.

Agreed ^

That said a waterpump is only about £25 from Renault and can be changed without special tools etc but is a bit of a faff due to its location. Took about an hour for me and my mate to change mine but I will stress that's with access to a workshop ramp, it would be more hassle with a couple of jacks on a driveway.

For the record mine shat itself at sub 60,000 miles on my well cared for owned by me from new 182 so they can fail.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ah ok, cheers guys.

Im unsure what to do. seen a cup, 51k, 02, asking for 2k.

bad points -

all 4 alloys need doing - laquer is peeling
small dint in the bonnet
passsenger seat doen't move forward
2mm circular dint on the drivers rear wing near the light cluster

AND

she's in cumbria!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If its in cumbria, slip Tunst a drink and get him to check it out first.

Massive journey just to find a shitter.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Agreed ^

That said a waterpump is only about £25 from Renault and can be changed without special tools etc but is a bit of a faff due to its location. Took about an hour for me and my mate to change mine but I will stress that's with access to a workshop ramp, it would be more hassle with a couple of jacks on a driveway.

For the record mine shat itself at sub 60,000 miles on my well cared for owned by me from new 182 so they can fail.

LOL! these sweeping statement make me chuckle. New waterpump is about £70 for genuine not £25 ;)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I had someone check it out already, I think I'll let that one go. :(

what is the cambelt status on the 1*2's?

Is it 50k or 5 yrs like the vee?

cheers

LOL! these sweeping statement make me chuckle. New waterpump is about £70 for genuine not £25 ;)

I paid £25 genuine from a main dealer about 18 months ago. I made the statement based on my experience not hearsay. If the price has changed or they undercharged me that's another matter.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Renalt retail price

waterpump.png

I go further afield because my local dealer is a lot more expensive

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I use the same system Fred and he's right on the price but the Motrio equiv part can be had for under £50 if you don't mind waiting 3-5days for it to arrive. Genuine Renault, type approved, just in a brown box not white.

Mick