ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams wanted for my RS2'd Clio 182

03 clio sport asc
Hey Guys

I need to change my cam belt shortly and crave abit more power out of my 182. Currently it has the RS2 Manifold, Center Muffler removed and running on a RS Tunner Custom map. I want to increase power but of course dont want to spend a fortune doing it.

Would changing to 197 cams provide much of an improvement as the mapping will cost $1500AU to have the standard map altered (only one tuner who has the capabilities to tune the standard computer) Or would a 421's or wilder Cams be best ?

Also I quite like the standard exhaust with the center muffler removed as it is still nice and quiet. Is there any performance gain to be had worth the cost and noise of a after market system. Or is simply a weight saving exercise?

Or should I simply sell the RS2 and go for ITB's?

To make sense of pricing here in the AU VS the UK. used clio go for $5k, after market cams $1k, timing belt + Labour another $1K. Ktec ITB + ECU $4K. Only guy for a thousands of kms to re map a standard ECU wants $1500.

Pic of my beast that is i think worth around 10K as it is a later model and a Cup, fresh box with Quaife and alot of other little goodies.

pete1of2_zps17e15e42.jpg
[/URL]

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Shame Chip isnt here for this one... The 197 cams won't give you a serious gain in peak power I'm afraid but they do give a really good spread of torque from what we've seen on the vehicles that have opted to run them. Then add this to there relatively low cost (£70-150 in the UK) it is what makes them a worthwhile addition to these cars with the RS2 inlet plenum fitted.

They don't however run standard timing points and I believe Mike@MWM did a fair bit of development on timing these units for best results which he may/may not be willing to share with you(?)

Obviously some 421's will give you better peak results but they'll also cost you nearly three times more for a small gain in power and unknown in the torque curve. ITB's are another route and if that's the way you were seriously considering then 421's would be a better choice but costs go up massively (standalone management, mapping, filtration, etc) and you lose some functionality (cruise if fitted)... that's why I went for the RS2 over ITB's as the results vs cost were simply easier to justify (to the wife who is always right).

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nice looking RB by the way especially sat next to that R8. One day, I will have an R8 in my life.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Nice RB. Before cams I'd be looking at getting the RS2 custom mapped. What RS Tuner Map has it got on it?

Edit - just seen the price of a map, jeez - that's not good :( I'd PM Mike and James at S&MWM as they may be able to sort something more suitable mapping wise, remotely.

Hell, for 1500 Oz dollars it may be cheaper to fly Mike or James over, put him in a hotel for a week, then get him to bring some 197 cams and get him to map it. I'm sure he'd like a paid for trip to oz ;)

Last edited:
As Cub says I think you need to work out a way to get it mapped properly. Maybe the guys from S&MWM will be able to send you a file from a similar spec car over here.

Cams will obviously give a little extra gain also. The 197 cams are known to work very will with the RS2. Dan on here even managed to crack the 200bhp mark with a few extra strengthening tweaks.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Kangoosport - nice thread hijack ;)

But, in answer to your question, the RS2 (fully fitted and mapped) is £1709 from S&MWM. See thread link below. Not sure what Mick would charge but I'm sure he'll reply. It is worth you making sure it will fit in the Kangoo bay, as I'm not sure how similar the engine bay in the Kangoo is, epsecially with the 172 lump in yours.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?691656-The-RS2-Performance-Intake-Manifold-***-Group-Buy-Details-Inside-***

Sorry realised as soon as Id done it, my bad.. Apologies

Couple of guys checked the engine bay and said it had more room than the Clio...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
RS2 will go in a Kangoo bay and I did the belts on that lump yes... drop me a PM if you want any more info though so we can keep this on topic for the guy.

Mick

03 clio sport asc
Cheers for the comments guys, so it seems as I thought best bang for buck would be to obtain some 197 cams, if any one wants to ship a set to Melbourne I will gladly pay all the costs for your time and effort. I may still bite the bullet and then get the car properly mapped or even see how much it will cost to get a after market ECU wired in that way it can be tuned by anyone.

As for the exhaust options am I right in leaving it stock with centre removed, was thinking to even de cat it maybe or would a whole new after market system such as the RS192 exhaust give decent worth while gains at this level?

Off topic, I'd be interested in a vid of the stock exhaust with the centre silencer chopped out. My bro made up a straight pipe for mine but I never fitted it.

Cheers for the comments guys, so it seems as I thought best bang for buck would be to obtain some 197 cams, if any one wants to ship a set to Melbourne I will gladly pay all the costs for your time and effort. I may still bite the bullet and then get the car properly mapped or even see how much it will cost to get a after market ECU wired in that way it can be tuned by anyone.

As for the exhaust options am I right in leaving it stock with centre removed, was thinking to even de cat it maybe or would a whole new after market system such as the RS192 exhaust give decent worth while gains at this level?

You'd need to find out how they are timed up too, as they don't work on stock timing.

03 clio sport asc
there has been an update I someone to tune the car at a much better price so who can help me out with a set of 197 cams ? I can arrrange to have them shipped to a freight forwarder and then have them shipped to me so. Also need to get options on the exhaust

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Have you got a couple of friends that need there clio mapping? I don't mind flying over but would need to be for more than 1. I could also fit and time your 197 cams too.

Mike

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If you find a set of cams cheap enough and need a shipping quote, feel free to pm me. I'll see what prices I can do it at through our couriers. I'll be happy to try get it as cheap as possible for you.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I guess you could but the profiles on the turbo units are pretty mild.

03 clio sport asc
I guess you could but the profiles on the turbo units are pretty mild.

sorry could some one please explain that as I know alot of the guys in oz have blue fin chips which is basically a remap ? I thought Megs would be very easy to gain more poke with more boost & tuning etc.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sorry, what with the title and previously discussing R27 cams I assumed you meant putting R26 cams in the X65 F4R.