ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone help with this

Couple of issues with my car and dont know what might be causing them or if they releated.

Recently my car (1997 1.4) has been using a lot of oil. I filled it til the gauge was full about 3 months ago and now its nearly empty again.

Also I have noticed after I turn the engine off there is often unburnt petrol in the tailpipes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you checked the condition of the rocker cover gasket? Its the gasket between the top of the cylinder head and rocker cover (sorry if you already know that) - another tell-tale sign will be oil in the spark plug wells if this is so.

Other than that, heavy oil consumption can be due to the deterioration of certain engine internals/guides/valve seats that usually prevent oil from being consumed in the combustion chambers. If these have deteriorated, they will let though more oil than normal, usually accompanied by smoke. What mileage is your engine on and has it ever been re-built?

It could also be something as simple as a dodgy sump plug/washer. Check the obvious things like that and the oil filter - Ive often had seemingly terminal symptoms, only to find I havent screwed in an obvious part!:oops:

its not burning oil fast, but check.

Few things you can check, compression, plugs for wetness, leaks etc etc.

And how do you know its unburnt fuel at the tailpipe?

If you do have neat fuel at the tailpipe, i would be seriously worried! lol....its more than likely is jsut water from the cat or condensation.

cheers for the replies.

I had 2 exhaust valves go about 12 months back and needed them replacing. Could it be these again?

Engine done 40K and is well looked after.

The reason I think its unburnt fuel is coz I stuck my finger in it smelt it and licked it! (yuck)

definitely petrol not water

tried burning it?

water can travel though an exhaust and come out pretty nasty, dont have to be sweet smelling and taste like water to be water! lol

if you had that much fuel comming out the exhaust, i would be more concerned!

If the head was repaired pooly and the valve stem seals are not seated will or missing, then youll be burning oil fast-ish.