ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I change the size of my sidewall?

Dynamique S TCE
So, I've just been to ATS to get quoted on some new tyres, Conti Sport Contact 3s.

My current tyres are 195/50/16V, and I got quoted £141 per corner.
I asked if changing to 195/45/16V would give cheaper tyres and the guys respose was something like 'No, that tyre would be far too small for you, if you held the two tyres next to each other you can see a physical difference in size', and I thought, obviously, theres a 10m (total) difference in the sidewalls, but surely they still fit onto 16 inch wheels!

Blackcircles are quoting £85.87 for Conti Sport Contact 3s, a HUGE difference in price!

So please tell me, can I use the tyres with a smaller profile? (Will be going on front axle both sides, rear axle has 195/50/16V both sides.)

Thanks

Dynamique S TCE

That java calc isn't showing for me, the manual one at the bottom says that my speedo will be 3.2% out. Is this the only 'problem'? Will they run fine with the exception of my speedo being a little out?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
The only parts of the sidewall marking that affect the fitting of the tyre is the 195 and 16. So you could fit 45profile tyres to your car as long as your happy with the wheels not filling your arches as much. Would be best to change rear tyres aswell to match for looks wise.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

That java calc isn't showing for me, the manual one at the bottom says that my speedo will be 3.2% out. Is this the only 'problem'? Will they run fine with the exception of my speedo being a little out?

Yep pretty much. Some insurance companies like to be informed too of tyre size change if it differs to the standard size.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will drive fine, but you might not like how it looks, as it will add about 10mm to your arch gap.

Dynamique S TCE
Thanks for all the responses!

Lal B3N, do you think it will affect the premium?

That's okay Chip, I've still got several yards before im on par with gally :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Thanks for all the responses!

Lal B3N, do you think it will affect the premium?

That's okay Chip, I've still got several yards before im on par with gally :)

Shouldn't do, but its best to make sure they know because if they can get out of paying out they will.

Yet to hear of it affecting any ones premium.