ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cannot start when warm

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Mark 1 Clio 16v

Been annoying me all day.
Swapped the radiator sensor but nothing at all yet.
Car has a fuel pressure regulator and apparently a uprated ecu.
But car is fine when cold. When hot it will not start at all.
Sparks fine, all leads ok, Coil pack fine. All electric s are good and working
Ideas?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay so we've ruled out the common crank sensor fault then because we have spark meaning the ECU is seeing and recognising rotation/trigger pattern.

That means it's either fuelling or a mechanical fault such as compression.

Does it cough,stutter or show any other signs of attempting to start?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
When cold it stars hesitantly but when going fine.
First few mins it's not happy low revs, then fine.

It can totally cut out when accelerator is pressed.
Incase that helps matters.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That would 100% offer a solution to the problem but lets assume he is gluten for punishment and wants to drive the car hehehe

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Hi chaps,
Ok so no change.

Heres some added info.

Wont start when hot, but after a few turns on key to try start.
Battery sounds flatter, but then it it starts, occasionally.

Ehhhh.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
had same on my 172 i replaced the car battery as cts sensor didnt fix it ,someone on here suggested it and another sign was my trip computer kep resetiing try a new battery can always get a refund in halfrauds if battery is ok m8

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
On the thermostat housing. It's been a long time since I've seen a Mk1 but there is one for the gauge and another for the ECU. I believe one is Brown and the other is White but cannot remember which is which.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
url][\IMG]

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not what the results should be but the effect the wet test has on the dry test values.

I suspect a head gasket issue

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
It's not what the results should be but the effect the wet test has on the dry test values.

I suspect a head gasket issue

I m hoping it's something that crops up. Least I can get it sorted, right now it's like pissing into a chip packet hoping it doesn't burst.

I'll try again tonight and update you all. Thanks

172 Ph1
The CTS your looking for is the white coloured one on the thermostat housing . Yes @MicKPM your right the brown one is for the gauge and the twin one is for the ECU.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Anyway, this car has a superchips map. So I think its the Fuel Pressure when its warmer, ie may be totally crap. Ordered a gauge to resolve that.
The coolant temp sensor has been renewed and swapped, so its nor that. Crankshaft sensor has been changed too. So have spark plugs.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
No, that was a dry test. Wet means a cap of oil down the bores and repeat the test

Just remove the FPS

OK chaps, even the company who do the superchips wont touch it.
Another tuning company said it couldn't be the ECU based on what I told him.

So, what next? Any ideas?

So, starts when cold all the time. Soon as I turn it over and move it say 5m or more, it refuses to start. I have to wait say 30 mins for it to cool down/what ever then it will start first time.