ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car cleaning and detailing

BMW 330D
I've seen loads of threads on different forums where people detail their cars and spend days using all these different products and clays etc and the results are stunning like the Bora and Trophy on this forum. It all baffles me its like another language with all the product names etc maximum respect to the poeple who do it but i'd have no chance. So How much are you looking at to get your car detailed proffesionally? Also could anybody in the know give me some tips on giving you car a quick clean products/methods etc

Honda & VW
You can learn how to Detail a vehicle yes, but you can't learn having an immense attention to detail like some have (Jim @ WhiteDetails for example)
The difference between someone who is familiar with the detailing processes and someone like Jim is massive.

Yes you could say i am rather a fan of his work...

You can learn how to Detail a vehicle yes, but you can't learn having an immense attention to detail like some have (Jim @ WhiteDetails for example)
The difference between someone who is familiar with the detailing processes and someone like Jim is massive.

Yes you could say i am rather a fan of his work...

+1 my favourite detailer by far.

BMW 330D
i am completley ignorant to it all if i'm honest. I was looking at that bora thread and the amount of the products he uses, then i remember that red e36 thread someone posted. I don't get it, like whats hard paint? and what if it rains the next day wasnt it a waste of time?

Clio 182 Trophy #229
I am the same, i just don't understand what i am doing or what i need to buy etc (beyond a bottle of triplewax liquid gold and a sponge) but i am always very impressed with people that do.
My issue with it (appart from not knowing how to do it) is, if i am using my car every day or every other day for work it gets really dirty in minutes. How do you cope with making your car immaculate then your results lasting 10 minutes at best? Surely it costs £1000's a year to keep your car that condition?

^ The better you treat the car when cleaning the longer it lasts and the easier it is to keep on top of.

I am a novice, I don't have a machine polisher, and I am certainly not OCD clean... But I have got my head round the basic washing, drying, claying, polishing and protecting process and it makes the world of difference. I would recommend those basics to everyone!

It isn't a cheap hobby for the people who are really into it. I have maybe a hundred quids worth of cleaning stuff. Some people on here will have more than double that value in a single pot of wax!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think the word 'detailing' is waaaay overused on this forum.

I've been to look at some cars with a view to buying them and the owner has claimed to have 'detailed it last week'.

The reality was, they've washed it and polished it.

Jim at white details is probably the only one on here that i'd call a proper detailer. No stone is left unturned, engine bay, door shuts, toothpick work... The bloke knows what he's doing.

Unlike some of the belters on here.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Detailing: Where the missus goes into great detail pointing out all the bits you missed with your sponge and chamois KFC bucket combo.