ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car not starting

FF Racing Blue 182
Hi there,
Was out earlier and moved the car off the drive. Now out the blue it wont start, flashing battery light and stop light on turn over.

I'm worried that its the alternator, but dont have any way to have it checked as it wont move.

Any ideas?.....it was starting to heat up and rev at 2k when warm. I wonder if the problems are related.

Cheers

MX5, A4 Avant
Don't think it'll be the alternator causing a non-start thankfully, however I'm far from an expert at Clio's.
I had an issue with mine intermittently misbehaving and doing something similar which I've tracked down to a fractured earth strap, might be worth sticking a jump lead between the negative battery post and something solid and metalic on the top of the gearbox to rule that out.

Somebody will come along with a proper answer though!

Clio 2.0 16v 182
What's the model and varient? Engine code would help. Could be anything so as much detail as possible is needed.

Do the electrics still work? Can you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key to position 2? Does the engine crank when ignition is turned?

FF Racing Blue 182
Its a 2005 182 ff! It turns over but just not starting. Would an earth cable or crank sensor cause this?

Everything is working as it should.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Sounds like a crank sensor. If it was an Earth the electrics wouldn't work at all. The sensor is under the air intake and above the gearbox and on the side of the engine block.

FF Racing Blue 182
Thanks for your replies.

Quite weird as the car was acting like it had a cts or thermostat problem. Changed the cts and went out a drive and it wasn't any better. Tried to move it and it wouldn't start.

This morning i changed the stat and it fired up and drove as it should. anyway, its been spot on all day, hopefully its sorted.

Thanks again!