ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car not turning on! Argh!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Damn... three days after ownership :mad: damn the French, I never learn lol.

Right so basically, came outta girlfriends, turned key... "tick tick" nothing. Obviously tried loads of times. Thought must be the battery, gfs dad drove round with jump leads, left it running a while "tick tick" nothing...

Was on a hill so pushed it down, into gear, slight rev but nothing really. Didn't wanna go.

Parked on side, kept trying again. This time it was revving for about 2-3 seconds but just wouldn't fire up. The fact it was now revving means it's probably not the immobiliser right? Anyway tried for ages, would'nt get any further.

Ended up rolling down the hill into a car parking space, was gonna leave it and sort it out the next day. Gave it one last chance and it came on! Drove home as quickly as I could (within reason lol) and since then it's been fine.

Any ideas? Have changed to my other key just in case it was an immobiliser problem.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Sorry mate don't suppose you could explain a bit further?

Never heard of a TDC sensor. Nothing showed up on diagnostic test (apart from something to do with the ABS which has always been there, but it works fine!)

Ultra Red Clio 197
starter motor? sounds like the same thing that happened my mates clio.. It would work sometimes... but normally after switchin it off it wouldnt start but then would start again after a few hours.. he got a new starter motor on ebay and it starts first time everytime now!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well when I got home after the drive, I tried turning on again and it was fine...

so not sure if it's 100% the same thing but carry on throwing ideas at me lads!

Clio 172 sport
I had this problem last week and this is how i fixed it

1. Open Bonnet

2. Look for rubber button located near battery, its red on my car but i believe it can also be black

3. Press button, and if it clicks then you are in luck.

4. Drive it like you stole it : )

(This is a button that turns the fuel off in case of a crash, it can randomly switch off especially if you went over a bump, but is designed to kill the fuel supply to the car in case of a crash)

Its an idea....

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Oh right dude okay I'll have a look thanks.

It done it once last night, but started fine second time.

PH1 172
I had this problem last week and this is how i fixed it

1. Open Bonnet

2. Look for rubber button located near battery, its red on my car but i believe it can also be black

3. Press button, and if it clicks then you are in luck.

4. Drive it like you stole it : )

(This is a button that turns the fuel off in case of a crash, it can randomly switch off especially if you went over a bump, but is designed to kill the fuel supply to the car in case of a crash)

Its an idea....

Oh right dude okay I'll have a look thanks.

It done it once last night, but started fine second time.

If it has started since the problem occured then I don't J-Key's idea will work anymore as once that switch goes, until you reset it then it will not start.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Oh right okay. Well reading through the TDC sensor thread it does look like it could be that? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to messing around in the engine bay so I hope I can manage it!

Talked to someone from Renault today and they said it sounds like the start motor!? Would you class any of these things as 'mechanical' or 'electrical'? I have mechanical warranty on my car but no electrical...

Ultra Red Clio 197
Oh right okay. Well reading through the TDC sensor thread it does look like it could be that? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to messing around in the engine bay so I hope I can manage it!

Talked to someone from Renault today and they said it sounds like the start motor!? Would you class any of these things as 'mechanical' or 'electrical'? I have mechanical warranty on my car but no electrical...

Like I said b4.. I think its the starter motor.. you can get one on ebay for about £25! buy it...try it and if it still doesnt work then its not alot to lose...

I think the starter motor would come under mechanical as electrical would mean stuff like the electric windows etc.. ring up and see! though with my AA mechanical cover you have to pay a £25 excess so might not be worth claiming through if its just the started motor. Have you called AA or RAC out to have a look?

hope you get it sorted soon!