ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car pulling to right

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Picked up the dci tonight after it's MOT.
I asked the guys to do the tracking, as the previous place left the wheel pointing to the right (but it wasn't pulling).

However, it's now pulling to the right.
Tracking is apparently straight and nothing is bent/ came up in the mot.
They've said they'll happily take another look (and I trust them. Great guys), but we're not sure what it could be.

First stop is to try swapping wheels back to fronts.
The front pair of tyres; although the same brand, are a different tread.

Not sure what could be causing it. Ideas?!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Done on a hunter kit?

Or old skool way?
Old skool. Never done me wrong before.

Different tread tyres left and right front caused this headache on mine for ages..
Yeah, as above, it's different treads up front. Going to try swapping the rears and fronts round.
They've been on there for a while though and not caused an issue before now.

In the last 3 months, car has had:
New calipers
New discs and pads
New suspension arms

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
What tyres are on there?

I've allways ever had four matching tyres tbh.
3x Nankang NS2's and 1x NS20 - bought the wrong one from Camskill after I got punture.

So this all seemed to stem from back in October. I had the tyres replaced, and the tracking done, and the car then started pulling right.
It went back, they couldn't solve it. Wheels all balanced, etc.
Car went for a service at Garage B, and they spotted a sticky driver's side caliper. So I had new calipers from Big Redd fitted. Problem seemed to be solved?

Car then had new front discs and pads up front - then had horrible vibration through the steering wheel. Garage B checked car over again, couldn't find an issue.
New discs solved the problem.

New suspension arms fitted just before Christmas, and then had tracking done. Car drove straight/ no pulling, but the steering wheel was pointing slightly right.
Garage B had the car back after Christmas to correct it, but after tracking it, the wheel was still off.

That brings us up to now, with the car having had tracking done again at Garage A (my usual garage), along with MOT.
Passed MOT, and guys can't see anything obvious (nothing bent, etc).

monaco 172
Honestly swap the tyres front to rear before you start worrying anything is wrong.
I was scratching my head for weeks trying to work it out and I couldn't believe it was an odd ttrw causing it.

Also get the tracking done on a hunter system with a printout, fantastic bit of kit in the right hands.

Wheel been off if usually down to lazy tracking.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Honestly swap the tyres front to rear before you start worrying anything is wrong.
I was scratching my head for weeks trying to work it out and I couldn't believe it was an odd ttrw causing it.

Also get the tracking done on a hunter system with a printout, fantastic bit of kit in the right hands.

Wheel been off if usually down to lazy tracking.
Yeah, keeping my hopes up and not panicking. Although that tyre has been on the car for a fair while, so I'm a bit duboius as to how and why it's started now.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Turns out, my memory is atrocious. I don't actually have a NS2 on the front as I said. It's some random tyre that got fitted after I managed to get a puncture.
That aside, the treads are near identical.

Took the car back down to the boys this morning, and we hooked up a diagnostic machine to it - steering angle sensor came up straight away.

tried resetting the fault, and took it for a spin. Sure enough, after a few turns of the wheel, it was back. So for info, the steering angle sensor on a non-sport Mk3 is: 7701057095

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
And further to this, just rang Renault. So that above part number was about £48 from Renault, but has been superseded by 2 newer part numbers since.

The current part is: 8201590627 - current retail of £143.24!!