ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car shaking loads once I go over 30mph-ish

As soon as I go over around 30-35mph my can is starting to shake loads, and when I say load I mean loads, feels like something is going to fall off, managed to get it home from work in one piece.

Steering also feels extremely light too.

Anyone any idea what could be wrong, im thinking something to do with steering column or wheels, and also how much would you thing repair would cost if it is steering column or rebalance etc...?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I reckon if it was wheel bolts and he has carried on driving it all the way home that the passenger side front would have come off by now. Worth checking though.

Then jack it up and feel for play, if its that bad you will find it pretty easily I would think.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Where is the shaking coming from exactly? The steering wheel or through the floor/seat? The latter would indicate a possible out of shape tyre/out of balance wheel on the rear, the former could be the same but on the front!

seems to be coming from all over, though mostly the back drivers side I think, not 100% sure though, cant get alloys off to check bolts though as I dont have a key for the central embelishment on the hub.

Need to pick up one from ebay asap.

FF Clio 182
Put my car in to a garage once left got down the road steering was all over the place and was knocking like mad! Got home and noticed 2 of the wheels nuts was loose

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
seems to be coming from all over, though mostly the back drivers side I think, not 100% sure though, cant get alloys off to check bolts though as I dont have a key for the central embelishment on the hub.

Need to pick up one from ebay asap.

please don't use such big words on a Sunday afternoon :)

got some long nose pliers? You'll get the centre cap off with a pair

Well, took it to the garage today, turns out driver side shock absorber was completely snapped in half, the fact I made it to work and back and them to the garage this morning was pretty lucky.

£191 quote to fix it, recommended I also replace the passenger side one as its same age and could be on it's way out soon too, also front brake discs are advisory too, just getting the 1 shock absorber though as dont have the cash to get other stuff done yet, but will definitely be getting those done asap.

Also, they managed to get the alloys off no worries only to find out that the wheels have locking nuts on them which I also wasnt given the key too, so they're having to replace it without taking the wheel off.

Need to get onto the garage I bought it from in the morning in the hope they have the key, otherwise I'll be pushing for them to pay to get them took off properly and replaced.

I understand im outta pocket for the shock absorbers though as they only gave me engine/gearbox warranty when I got it, I dont mind that too much as I knew the warranty only covered engine/gearbox.

But the fact they haven't gave me key for locking wheel nuts and its not just a matter of buying a new key, really takes the p***.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Easy for me to say, but we would. What we do is ask the customer to pay for the part and we fit it foc, every garage is different though. Hope you sort it :)

the garage I got it from doesnt do any repairs etc... they outsource it all, they deal only in the car sales part of it, and wouldnt trust them to repair anyway lol, only got the car their cos it was cheap, kinda expected problems, taken it to halfords to get it repaired, maybe a little more costly than some places, but my bro-in-law always uses them and they've always got the job done properly.

im in durham area, already getting repaired by halfords atm, hoping to get it back today or tomorrow, there are a few other advisories though, so if I make it to a meet up at some point in future wouldnt have any issues with any of the guys from here taking a look at it to tell me what they think.

im in durham area, already getting repaired by halfords atm, hoping to get it back today or tomorrow, there are a few other advisories though, so if I make it to a meet up at some point in future wouldnt have any issues with any of the guys from here taking a look at it to tell me what they think.

Your not that far from me mate so if you want to pop along I'll have alook over it for you at the weekend :)

well, got car back and running a lot more smoothly now, gonna aim for some cheaper quotes to get the few advisory's they mentioned doing once I have the cash, halfords quoted another £450 for the 3 advisories which I know I can get cheaper. Main reason I went 1st time was as it was emergency and really close to me.

Your not that far from me mate so if you want to pop along I'll have alook over it for you at the weekend :)

working everyday for the next 8 days running lol and not great at finding places with the exception of very locally, but as long as they stay advisories I'll defo be aiming to join the next meet-up in the north east and let ya's see what you think then. :)

DCI100
DON'T use halfords to fit parts, next time get someone on hear to do it or a local garage. And them advisories aren't a problem but you cv gaiter you want to sort ASAP as you'll be loosing all your cv grease... Which will ruin your cv joint !!!!!

Well, got quotes elsewhere for the advisories and they're about half of the quote Halfords gave me, not going there again lol.

Gonna ring around see if I can get them even cheaper, also today got the key for the central part of alloys, and got the garage where I bought the car from to sort me out with a replacement key for the locking nuts.

Then to end the morning on an even bigger high, my Clio-sport membership pack arrived :).

Will always be getting most of the work on my car done by a garage though, as dad paid for it and he's really paranoid with letting none qualified or unrecognised people do work, he's the type that even asks the council for ID proof before they do work on our house lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nice one mate. You will find this forum to be very helpful. And if you ever get stuck or need someone theres allways people willing to help out. And lol at halfrauds :(

The car had literally just passed MOT in march, so I assume they'd have more proof the fault wasn't there when I bought the car than the proof I'd have that it was.

I honestly have little idea to tell the truth, the garage today did say that they'd put me in contact with the repair place they use so I can get it repaired cheaper, though in all fairness, I don't think they're the most "honest" of traders so would rather go elsewhere and suffer the cash hit than have the problem covered up only to resurface later.

The price I paid for the car I expected issues anyway, and there were only the 3 advisories which really isn't as much as I'd expected.