ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car starting but turning over a couple of times first?

Black gold 182
Hi guys,

Reasonably new to the forum and just bought my firstbclio 182 waheyyyy! But ive a wierd question it doesnt always do it but when starting it up it sometimes turns over 2 or 3 times before coming to life, any ideas?

RS Clio 182
I'm having the exact same problem! Got the crank sensor changed too! I'm going to try change the ignition barrell next to see if that helps. Car drives and everything perfectly fine. Just that starting issue once a while!

182 Trophy
Same problem I'm having but only on warm start. Been in touch with a guy on here who had the same issue and it turned out to be perished o-rings on the fuel rail end connector letting air into the rail! I've got replacements, so will be giving that a go next (crank sensor, coolant sensor, MAP sensor, battery, plugs, leads, cool pack and earths all fine).

RS Clio 182
Mine is the same! But it's when it's warm mostly but also happens when it's cold. Il be giving the o rings ago next though!

182 Trophy
Mine is the same! But it's when it's warm mostly but also happens when it's cold. Il be giving the o rings ago next though!

You can get replacement fuel rail end connectors with the o-rings on from K-Tec. They're pretty cheap too thankfully! Apparently the connector is hard to get off the fuel line, so best just to (carefully!) swap the new o-rings across onto your existing connector. It seemed to work for this other chap, no idea if it will for others...

Clio 182 2005 FF
Same problem I'm having but only on warm start. Been in touch with a guy on here who had the same issue and it turned out to be perished o-rings on the fuel rail end connector letting air into the rail! I've got replacements, so will be giving that a go next (crank sensor, coolant sensor, MAP sensor, battery, plugs, leads, cool pack and earths all fine).
did you try the o rings? did it work?
im having similar issues and not sure what to try next

182 Trophy
did you try the o rings? did it work?
im having similar issues and not sure what to try next
I have the parts, as well as new injectors to hopefully rectify a cylinder 4 misfire, but haven't had the time to fit them yet. Will report back when I do :up:
I still don't get why my slow start-up issue only happens on warm start!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Do you put key in, switch on ignition, wait for few seconds then try start it.

Or just bang key in and try starting right away?

182 Trophy
Do you put key in, switch on ignition, wait for few seconds then try start it.
Or just bang key in and try starting right away?
Tried both methods, no difference.
On cold start, it just fires immediately as it should. On warm start, it turns over several times then sort of limps into life. Weird! The person who had similar symptoms on here replaced his fuel rail connector O-rings and that sorted it apparently.

Clio 182 2005 FF
so you changed the o rings now and still no good? i would have thought fuel would come out of the connect as well if it was leaking? fuel systems are higher pressure than atmospheric so would assume it cant suck in air.. anyway have you tried coolant temp sensor yet? if its temperature related may be something to do with it

182 Trophy
Nope, haven't fitted the new o-rings yet but I take your point on the fuel pressures. Coolant temp sensor and crank sensor were both newly fitted genuine items in the past few months.

Clio 182 2005 FF
have you changed injectors recently?
sorted mine today.
was s**t cheap injectors from ebay!
swaped back to genuine ones today and its spot on!
also removed and cleaned up the chassis earth strap in behind the passenger wheel arch :)

182 Trophy
^^ This is the thread/member I referred to in a post above, thanks for posting.
I fitted some MM IWP042 injectors off eBay recently but have now bought the correct Renault versions from Renparts. As the thread linked above suggests, there are subtle differences. Looking forward to getting them fitted and seeing if it makes a difference!!

182 Trophy
A full set of replacement OE injectors and a new pair of fuel rail connector o-rings seems to have done the trick on mine. Started the car 5 or so times cold/hot yesterday with no hesitation (although I kept anticipating it, which was annoying LOL!).
How are you getting on @S.Diesel ?